cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Considering a HTT- Family of 4-Please Share your Pros/Cons

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We have had Class A, C, TT, 5er. Never tented with family.

Now, one DS is 18 and the DS is 13. Our 13yo will be with us for many years as he has Autism. He LOVES to be on the road, camp, boat, and explore new places!

I have plenty of truck to pull a TT or 5er but looking for something more simple.

It will be a TT or HTT 28'MAX length.

Where do we typically camp:

Mainly RV parks with hook ups, some boondocking (beaches, Baja, etc)

Locales.....CA coast, inland parks, Sierras, NV/AZ lakes, Colorado River, 15-20 days per year 2017-18.

Summer 2018 and beyond......20-30 days per year with future plans on...

NM, maybe Texas, Colorado, Montana, and perhaps the South MS, LA, etc. Some Baja trips.

In 5 years, it will be primarily be my wife, me and one son using the camper.

Sleeping beds are very important. Boys would like their own beds and not the coffin size bunks in most older TTs.

Micro/Refer/Stove very important
Storage very important

Pros: I can get 3 FULL size sleeping beds, a full size dinette AND a good size couch in a HTT that is 23'-26'

Cons/My concerns:
Too Cold inside and when sleeping (coastal, Sierras at night, etc)
Too hot inside when its 100F outside

Please help me understand what I would be getting into with a HTT. Be honest, frank, and all of that stuff!

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
41 REPLIES 41

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Baja Man wrote:
well, I may be back in the game looking for HTT. Wife really likes the floorpan of a 2010 Starcraft 237 CKS. Owner is asking $13,900.

It's a 6 hour drive to go see it so we have to be pretty committed to make that drive.

Anyone have this model and can comment on its Pros/Cons?

Thanks

Another example of someone trying to sell their trailer and thinking they have something worth way more than what it is. In reality it's up to 9 years old. The owner may be starting out high as a tactic but personally I would not pay more than $7000 for a 2010 237CKS, and it would have to be in A1 perfect condition before I would do so.

Starcraft uses bunk doors made by Lippert. They are a better design than the doors on my 2017 Rockwood, however the caulk joint at the bottom channel near the hinge is prone to splitting open. If those were not maintained and recaulked as needed, there will be water damage to the bunk doors and areas of the body below the hinges. It's really hard to tell visually it has split. I had 2 hybrids with the Lippert doors and am very familiar with them. You do not want to have to replace them as it's an expensive proposition. Look both inside and out at the surface right above the aluminum hinge channel. Look for waves or bubbles in the outside fiberglass and push on the vinyl covered plywood inside with your finger all along that edge.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Baja Man wrote:
well, I may be back in the game looking for HTT. Wife really likes the floorpan of a 2010 Starcraft 237 CKS. Owner is asking $13,900.

It's a 6 hour drive to go see it so we have to be pretty committed to make that drive.

Thanks

Well. That hybrid is Starcraft's copy of the very successful Roo/Shamrock 23SS, that came out in the 2006 model year.
They didn't make it for long but Starcraft has a good reputation building hybrids.
Having owned a 23SS for over 10 years, we loved the floorplan.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated.

Went to look at a used HTT. It was roomy with the large queen beds.

Wife thinks we better stick to a TT, as it is what we know and the fact that we are not limited in towing capacity between a TT or HTT. If we were, it would be a HTT.

Toyhaulers may also be an option as there are models with a front queen and dual electric drop down queens in rear.

Now, the search for a suitable TH or TT.....probably have to increase our budget by a few thousand for something nice and well kept

Decisions, decisions, .....
Equal-i-zer 10K

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
We are foster parents and have kids of our own. We have owned our hybrid for 15 years. We always take lots of kids camping and needed lots of space with minimal weight as we tow with a mini van. The hybrid does this. Honestly if we could tow more weight I would not have this trailer. We camp almost year round and it is crucial you set up the tent ends to completely dry prior to storing. Also if you have noisey neighbors a fan must be ran to block out the noise. Set up time is probley ten minutes longer than a conventional trailer. We are like an indy pit crew giving each child a job to do. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions feel free to send me a PM
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Pucka1378
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Pucka1378 wrote:

We struggle a bit in the colder weather with the condensation. We have not been able to perfect this yet.

Are you using Popup Gizmos and Reflectix? Are you allowing for air movement?

If not, that's why you are struggling with condensation.

Yes we have popup gizmos. We do allow for air movement. I seem to be able to regulate it the best when the husband is not camping with us...hahaha I have gotten it right before just this last time it was pretty bad. It was raining and that might have been more of the issue this time.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Kostyan wrote:
Considering getting our 1st trailer and hybrids look attractive from the size and weight perspective, but thanks to this thread, realize that temp control can be a problem

What is PUGs and Reflectix, and where do you apply that?

In our Mid-Atlantic climate, summers are hot and humid and this is a major concern. Are there specific (used) hybrid trailer makes/models that control temp better than the others?

Looking at 10-15 yr old hybrids just to have 2-3 long weekend trips per year.

PUGs stands for Popup Gizmos. Visit their website for info.
Reflectix is a foil insulating material available at Lowe's, HD and other hardware stores.

No brand/make is better than another when it comes to temp control.
Though hybrids with ducted a/c, manage temps better than those with non-ducted a/couple.

And finding a 10-15 year old hybrid in good shape, will be difficult.
I just sold my 11 year old hybrid but I took very good care of it, but that's not common.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Kostyan
Explorer
Explorer
Considering getting our 1st trailer and hybrids look attractive from the size and weight perspective, but thanks to this thread, realize that temp control can be a problem

What is PUGs and Reflectix, and where do you apply that?

In our Mid-Atlantic climate, summers are hot and humid and this is a major concern. Are there specific (used) hybrid trailer makes/models that control temp better than the others?

Looking at 10-15 yr old hybrids just to have 2-3 long weekend trips per year.
2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser by Trail Lite C21RBH
towed by 2012 BMW X5 diesel

epeters
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Baja Man wrote:

Other than the potential dislikes:

too HOT and won't cool with AC
too COLD and won't heat
too much noise can be heard
potential for critters to tear into tents

If you get PUGs and some Reflectix, you be fine with the temps, other than camping in the desert.
We camped in SoCal with our hybrid for 10 years and were fine in 100ยฐ heat and cold snowy nights.
We rarely had noise issues and had way more sounds of nature.
We camped in Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Tetons and Yosemite.

I agree. We've been in over 100 degree heat and with the Reflextix on the bunks and the AC on (and the bunk curtains closed) the trailer was fine. I've been in below freezing weather and have had no issues staying warm.

That said, being too cold or too hot is a subjective topic. What is ok for us may not be for others.
Erik

DW, DS, DD
2018 Nash 29S
2017 GMC Sierra
Retired --> 2004 Silverado Crewcab 1500
2008 Starcraft Antiqua - traded in
2003 Fleetwood Mesa - gone
Photos

Burnt_Marshmall
Explorer
Explorer
Baja Man wrote:
I have a budget of $10K

That makes your search a challenge. We just bought our second HTT after shopping TT's for about a year. The upgrades on the standard models for both are amazing, you'll miss that if you buy an older used trailer.

nickdarr
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we have camped in the mountains in September. Had 80 plus temperatures one day and freezing with snow the next night. We had a hybrid TC and could not get it cool in the deserts in Idaho or Utah. We are currently in Salt Lake City area in our TT at 2230 and it is 88F. Not expected to get cool tonight. Our friends next door have a HTT and cannot get it cool inside. Their fridge is struggling to keep milk cold. We also camp in parks (Yellowstone, for example) that do not allow HTT or pop ups in certain campgrounds because of bear concerns. If I were spending the money, I would look at a bunkhouse with larger (full size) bunks. Just my thoughts.
Darren, Peggy, two kids, and the Poodle pair
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab PSD
2016 Outdoors Creekside 27DBHS

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Baja Man wrote:

My son with Autism is pretty easy going and all he really needs is HOT food. His food must be HOT, not warm. So the Micro is crucial.

No help on the HTT but I wanted to chime in. Our 15 year old son is on the spectrum and loves the camping life too.

His food must be hot too and he needs a hot shower in the morning AND the evening. So we're in a Class C.

My son is also pretty easy going...
...Until he's not.

And when that happens, I'm very glad we're experiencing the meltdown in the RV and not a hotel! ๐Ÿ™‚

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Baja Man wrote:

too COLD and won't heat

If you get PUGs and some Reflectix, you be fine with the temps, other than camping in the desert.
We camped in SoCal with our hybrid for 10 years and were fine in 100ยฐ heat and cold snowy nights.
We rarely had noise issues and had way more sounds of nature.
We camped in Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Tetons and Yosemite.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Found a 2006 Forest River Rockwood Roo 233 Ultra Lite Hybrid. It has three queen beds. No slide. Appears to be in xlnt condition. Asking price is $8900. I just can't find a used TT with a queen and 2 FULL size bunk beds under $12K.

too COLD and won't heat

It is hard to beat the sleeping accommodations and ease of towing.

Still thinking which way to go......TT or HTT
Equal-i-zer 10K