cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying Duckcoat To Roof

wallaceb
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All, I am just about ready to apply Duckcoat Brand Liquid Rubber to my NUWA 5th wheel. I have watched at least a dozen youtube vid's and read all the posted info, so I am confident about all the prep and application aspects. Questions remain after reading the part about adding the catalyst. The info has me questioning "just how long the material remains spreadable once mixed"? (The text material appears to indicate it will set in four hours). Should I pour and mix with catalyst just one gallon at a time in a separate bucket rather then mix all five gallons at once, so I can apply one full coat let set and then apply the second fresh mixed coat the next day? I certainly don't want to mix it all at once if it will set solid in the original five gallon bucket. Thank you in advance for your come-backs. Happy Trails.
5 REPLIES 5

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I had more than a few RV's since 1985 and never applied anything to the roof. I do check around vents and seals for adequate caulking, but that's it.

wallaceb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the come-back "jimmyfred". I will follow the application pattern/procedure as you suggest. I really needed to hear you agree with "mixing a little at a time". As far as using the duckcoat product I choose this after considering all other products and especially the recent post "Roof coating success story....DuckCoat...with Pictures" which can be found under search above. Waiting for two dry cooler days, Smile

jimmyfred
Explorer
Explorer
wallaceb wrote:
Hello All, I am just about ready to apply Duckcoat Brand Liquid Rubber to my NUWA 5th wheel. I have watched at least a dozen youtube vid's and read all the posted info, so I am confident about all the prep and application aspects. Questions remain after reading the part about adding the catalyst. The info has me questioning "just how long the material remains spreadable once mixed"? (The text material appears to indicate it will set in four hours). Should I pour and mix with catalyst just one gallon at a time in a separate bucket rather then mix all five gallons at once, so I can apply one full coat let set and then apply the second fresh mixed coat the next day? I certainly don't want to mix it all at once if it will set solid in the original five gallon bucket. Thank you in advance for your come-backs. Happy Trails.

............Once the catalyst is mixed the liquid starts......Setting up ! My experience has been , you'll be really lucky IF you get 2 full hours of a liquid consistency to apply the product . The warmer\hotter it is , the faster the liquid sets up and becomes so sticky it cannot be applied as it should be .
............Mix a gallon , and paint the outer perimeter of your roof and around all vents and your A\C . Actually , you should remove all 4 studs and set your A\C on the ground until you're finished applying all the product you need to coat your full roof area . I'd buy one of those Xtra large paint pans and tie a small rope on it so a helper can pull the pan back , as you roll on the product . It really is a 2 man job . IF , you're in the south , I'd plan on getting started by 7am or maybe even 6 if possible . All EDPM rubber roof coatings cure very quickly when the air temp hits 90 and your application time is at a premium . , jf
2003 Chevy 8.1 Dually 2Wdr.
1999 Travel Supreme , 33 RLSS
20K Reese , Prodigy etc.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Duck Coat can be installed on most roofing substrates including Built-Up Roofing (BUR), Metal, Concrete, EPDM Rubber, TPO, APP, Modified Bitumen, Polyurethane Foam, PVC, Asphalt, Wood and more"

Just doesn't say RVs. Why not? Unless...
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't see any mention on Duck Coat's website about RVs. Did I miss it? If I'm correct I wouldn't use a product that the manufacturer isn't offering for RVs. Vribration is the first issue I see.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad