cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shoes for RVing

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
During warm months I wear sandals helps tremendously with Neuropathy.
But...after wearing just a few days or weeks I have to throw them away, sometimes. Sometimes I can clean them but leather and swede foot beds don't clean easy or well.
When you walk any dirt within ten feet seems to get kicked up onto the foot bed.
What is everyone else wearing that is not plastics?
I have looked at some boating shoes but while fashionable and light, do they keep clean inside? How do you wear them without socks or ankle socks?
I have some high top leather shoes/short boots but they don't seem to go well with shorts.
So the question is as above what do you wear? No plastics though
30 REPLIES 30

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer leather house slippers to drive.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Having been a runner before arthritis set in I have a number of fabric inserts with foam on the bottom from running sneakers, the top fabric reduces the sweat inside when worn without socks. I alternate these inserts and wash when needed. Spenco inserts work well also. Theses are worn inside Sperry topsiders or other loafers type shoes. I also travel with sandals and hiking sneakers. The sandals do get dirty and sweaty but I use them to walk into the water while fishing, swimming in and around water so the get washed frequently. I don't like dirty socks hanging around while camping. I always drive in shorts so I can rub Tiger balm or Biofreeze on my knees and slip my shoes off so my feet don't sweat.

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:

That is probably the funniest thing I will read today. ๐Ÿ™‚ And so true.

I agree! I had to wipe coffee off of my screen! I hadn't read the whole thread, just the original post, until this morning. Down here we only wear socks with dress shoes and half socks with tennis shoes, of course this is Florida and we are casual.
Inquiring minds want to know...

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
I learned about the gels as I got older and heavier (6'1", 250 lbs) to prevent my feet from hurting. Keeping the inside of the shoe clean and being able to wash or change out the gel is merely a bonus.

I agree with not wearing the same shoes everyday. I have over a dozen Sperry's in different styles and colors that I alternate with. Some I have had for years that still look new inside and out. Of course that was mainly due to only wearing them a few times a month, not more than once or twice a week anyway.

Many people try to tie them in the typical tennis shoe fashion. I initially tie them the way leather laces should be tied to prevent them from coming untied while making them easy to kick off and step into. A sore back will appreciate that! And it is a better looking knot giving a symmetrical look, in comparison, it's like the typical neck tie knot verse a Windsor. I don't like cockeyed! LOL

The stores will try to convince you that you can only use leather cleaner. Perhaps on some types. As I previously mentioned, I throw them in the washer and stuff with newspaper to dry, with no ill affects. (Stuffing with newspaper keeps them from shrinking or loosing their shape. Although I will say in my youth, nothing would make a new pair of leather cowboy boots fit like getting them soaking wet and wearing them until dry. Fit like a glove!

If you like flip flops, try on a pair of Reefs. Not the cheapest as a good pair that will last is going to start at about $50-60, however they will last years. The cushion of the cheaper $30 ones will break down much sooner, so don't try to cheap out as your feet are what carries you and when they hurt, you're not having a good time!

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobWNY wrote:
Cobra21 wrote:
IMHO; I know what you mean. Many brands become "smelly". I think the only cure
is socks. I'm thinking of the closed toe sandle with the black footsie socks
so I don't look too nerdy!
Brian

I got news for you. Any kind of sock worn with sandals doesn't make you look Nerdy. It confirms that you are a Nerd. Heck, you're close to being a Nerd if you even consider wearing socks with sandals. The color of sock worn with sandals is what differentiates whether you are just a Nerd or you've graduated to Dork.

That is probably the funniest thing I will read today. ๐Ÿ™‚ And so true.
Puma 30RKSS

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
I have Plantar fasciitis is both feet (sometimes I need to change shoes several times a day) and it seems I have also developed a Morton's neuroma or something along those lines (just had a diagnostic shot on Monday) so I bring recovery flip flops (https://telic.com/), Birkenstocks, and Asics tennis shoes on every camping trip. I use up 1/2 of my "free space" in my class B with shoes!
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

campincandice
Explorer
Explorer
I hit the soles of my feet with antiperspirant before putting on my sandals. Seems to keep my feet cleaner since they don't get sweaty, and keeps my sandals smelling fresher.
Candice

Steve - Partner in Crime
Molly - black lab
Sabbath - chocolate lab/weimaraner

2014 Open Range LT274RLS

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Changing out your shoes daily will reduce the smell issues. Never wear the same shoe two days in a row.

Gel inserts help a lot as mentioned above.

Changing shoes out by activity will help a lot also. A nice pair of hiking shoes for rough terrain, sandals for in campsite, mesh/canvas slip ons for driving, etc.

Stock up on baby wipes. Every time you change/remove your shoes, give your feet a good wipe. That will help reduce dirt building up in your shoes.

Fisherman style sandals offer a bit more coverage while still allowing air to circulate (see photo posted above - that's a fisherman style). Water shoes work great for beaches, mud, etc. Moccasins, etc., can workk well for driving. Many shoes (even leather) can be tossed in the washer on occasion if they get extra icky - just let them air dry.

But i'll repeat that the best and easiest solution is to never wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Barefoot. I hate all shoes!

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I found a New Balance that I really liked, wore them for years. Then of course they stopped making them. Found a place online that still had some, bought 6 pairs. My kids think that's the height of dorkiness, but...

So I wear one out, then it becomes the yard shoes, or I take out the laces and use them in the RV when I have to step outside in the mud for a short while.

I have one pair of moccasins, one pair of black loafers, and one pair of black oxfords, for when I have to "dress up". And that's it.

Leaves plenty of space in the closet for Mrs O's boatload of shoes.

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
Sperry top siders and Reef flip flops are my typical shoes. Neither is cheap and both are quality. I love the Sperry Gold Cups.

A secret...I put gel inserts in my Sperry's and haven't had them smell, they are so comfortable to walk or stand in, they can be removed and cleaned if needed and the inside of the shoe still looks brand new after a year... Often it is Dr. Scholl's gel inserts, however I also like the 'black' inserts from Dillard's.

Although I will say that I have thrown Sperry's in the washer, to clean the outside. Stuff them with newspaper and put on floor in from of your refrigerator or chest type freezer and they will be dry overnight and look good again.

I would only wear socks with dress shoes...

Give it a try!

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
I wear keen sandals almost all the time. Personally, they are comfortable and do offer support. I use crocs if I use the shower campground. Crocs makes my ankles ache after extended wear. JMHO..
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just wear the cheap slip on canvas top tennis shoe type shoes. I don't really have a problem with the inside getting dirty. It's the outside. When you pay $10 or less for them you can throw them away and replace them often. I also wear flip flops a lot.

RPreeb
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
During warm months I wear sandals helps tremendously with Neuropathy.
But...after wearing just a few days or weeks I have to throw them away, sometimes. Sometimes I can clean them but leather and swede foot beds don't clean easy or well.
When you walk any dirt within ten feet seems to get kicked up onto the foot bed.
What is everyone else wearing that is not plastics?
I have looked at some boating shoes but while fashionable and light, do they keep clean inside? How do you wear them without socks or ankle socks?
I have some high top leather shoes/short boots but they don't seem to go well with shorts.
So the question is as above what do you wear? No plastics though

I really don't understand this. I've been wearing a pair of Ecco sandals for 6 years now, almost full time in the summer, as well as for 2 full years living in the Bahamas. They've been in sand, dirt grass, weeds, fresh and salt water, even in snow a time or two, and they are still going strong. Do my feet get dirty in them at times... of course, although mostly just the soles and usually only if I'm in a dusty environment. That's why back in biblical times it was a courtesy and a show of respect to offer to wash a guest's feet. That's part of wearing sandals. It's certainly nothing to get too worried about - it all washes off.

It is uncomfortable to pickup a small pebble. I can usually kick it out, but sometimes I have to loosen a strap to get it to drop out. Again, not really a big deal and just part of wearing sandals. Since they cost $120, I certainly wouldn't throw mine out just because I got a little dirt on them.
Rick
2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 3.5 EB
2017 Jay Feather X213