cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Evading Nashville and Indianopolis

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Taking a trip up 24 to 65 to 69 or return takes at least two hours through Nashville many times for a distance of ten miles or so.
Indy can be near as bad or worse for 20 miles.
My idea of RVing is not staying on the road touring their potholes for 4 hours of a trip.
I have sat and figured on all the roads east and west of Nashville and reached the conclusion you can't avoid "Nashville." Nashville being the environ of maybe 50 miles in any direction and cross road for the East.
It is as bad or worse than Atlanta I75 or any of the other Interstates and roads.
So how do you avoid Nashville and Indy on your way north or south?
There has to be a way.
24 REPLIES 24

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer going up I75 thru Cincinatti then west on 30 in Ohio to 469 then 69. 1 Big Town versus 3 Big Towns.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We exit to the Briley Parkway to go around Nashville going both north and south. It is a really good alternative to going through downtown Nashville, Indianapolis has I-465/I-74 and it is not too bad especially if it is not rush hour. I think Nashville is much worse than Indy.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
TrailerTraveler1 wrote:
Almost two hours on I-24 through Chattanooga on Monday ... at mid-day no less. Ugh! Made Nashville seem like a cakewalk!

Repeat after me. Stay of the Interstate around Chattanooga.
Never use it except when we forget. Sometimes it would be wise to pack a lunch and some toilet paper.

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
Can't help you with INDY, however if you exit I-24 in Murfreesboro onto # 840 and go East & North to I-40. Take I-40 West about 5 miles to SR 109 North. It will take you to I-65 at the Tennessee / KY state line.
M & M :C On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
TrailerTraveler1 wrote:
Almost two hours on I-24 through Chattanooga on Monday ... at mid-day no less. Ugh! Made Nashville seem like a cakewalk!

News flash folks:

The Interstate highway system has been seriously under capacity for about the last 20 years and is now approaching crisis stage.

It also seems to me that "emergency responders" put traffic flow at a priority near to ZERO.....even after all of the injured have been taken care of. I passed a minor 2 care accident today. Both cars and two tow type trucks were off on the shoulder and traffic was backed up about 3 miles. Note: this was NOT near a major city.

LUCK might be the biggest factor in whether or not you have a major problem.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
US 31 is no longer cows and small burgs. It is not a 4 lane divided highway and in some areas, busy. Still better than I-65 any day.

We have gone thru Nashville a few times on I-65 both north and south, and at 11am had no problem.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I absolutely DESPISE I-65 in Indiana and do EVERYTHING I can to avoid it. Going North and South, take US 31, which runs almost parallel to I-65. Most is 4 lane, easy driving without all the pot holes and junk traffic. Be prepared to be a little board though. You'll see several small Indiana "burgs" along the way, maybe some corn fields, a cow or two, maybe a hay wagon along the way.

Near Franklin, Indiana, take Highway 44 (East) and then take Highway 9 (North) at Shelbyville. Stay on Highway 9 around Pendleton. Stay on Highway 9 until you hit I-69.

FYI... I-69 in under MAJOR construction all the way from Fishers, Indiana to Pendleton. It's a total nightmare driving through there. Unfortunately, I work right there and have to deal with it. I take back roads to work and STILL avoid I-69.

FYI, I live near Pendleton, and drive this route several times a year heading South.

Yes.... avoid Indianapolis, and especially I-69 North of Indianapolis all the way to Pendleton.

Edit: The nice thing about following US 31 Northward from Kentucky, is the fact it runs so parallel and close to I-65. You can actually jump on and off I-65 to US31 at several places. But really, driving I-65 is the absolute pits! Take US 31 and ENJOY the cows!

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I frequently go thru Dallas. And when I do, it is thru the middle and it is between 9 am and 3 pm. And rarely a problem. But an accident or construction can create major problems any time. I usually check google maps on my phone and look to see if my intended roads show up as red or, even worse, dark red. That means a major traffic backup and then I look for alternate routes around it.

I often check the same google maps while traveling any where to make sure there are not traffic problems ahead of us. A couple times I have been able to turn on to a parallel highway to avoid the major holdups.

And similar to above, we spent an hour sitting on an isolated stretch of I-40 at the TX/NM state line with no place to go because the highway was shutdown due to an accident. You just never know.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Construction, accidents, weather or rush hour can slow you down no matter where you are.
I sat on I 80 in the middle of nowhere Wyoming for over a hour because of an accident. I am certainly not going to avoid Wyoming because of it.
Don't go through any major city at rush hour.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
padre1944 wrote:
Rt. 155 or Briley Parkway takes you around Nashville easily. Most cities have an outerbelt that is usually better than going through town. As another poster said, get a map. I never go through cities if I can help it.

Rt 155/Briley Parkway has very little traffic on the west side of Nashville. The East side by Operland hotel and airport may be a different story.

You can take "red" roads to completely by pass Nashville. Depending on where you are going, It is shorter and saves time. See below.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
We usually avoid all big cities by using a map and finding "red" roads, which are state and federal hwy's, around cities. Longer, yes, much easier and enjoyable. We are retired so time is not all that important to us. It is more important to actually see and do things and keep the blood pressure down.

We often go from TN to MN and bypass Chicago this way. Longer? Yes but driving thru the farmlands of Northern IL and WI is much more enjoyable. There are such roads around Indianapolis.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Go through Nashville between 9A-3P and there is rarely a problem. Check TDOT SmartWayfor traffic and construction. Get a map and figure your best route.

If you are coming in I-24, get off on Briley Parkway (SR155) and go north on it until you hit I-65. Again, get a map and familiarize yourself with the exit layouts and options so you are not completely dependent on what a GPS tells you.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
I go thru Nashville all the time with no problems. I just wait and go thru after 9am and before 4 pm
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I always use the Briley pArkway. piece of cake as noted before.

however it fits into my route exactly also since i go from east on 24 to east on 40. :C