cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice-Replacing Norcold With Residential Fridge

USMC46
Explorer
Explorer
My Norcold four door fridge has failed for the THIRD time. I've had it with Norcold. Anyone know of a reliable person to replace my Norcold with a residential fridge within a reasonable distance from Missoula, Mt. ? Anyone done this who regrets it ? Thanks.
Jim & Carmel

2016 Escape 17b
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk With Factory Tow Package
18 REPLIES 18

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

Your Cummings engine is nice....

There's no such thing as a "Cummings" engine.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Now THIS, is a Cummins diesel engine. Note the 400 amp 28 volt Niehoff alternator.

MrWizard
I must have missed something

I have an 8.1, never had any problems with it. Not sure how that relates to running a refrigerator on an inverter.

Old history
Something on the highway took out his oil pan, few minutes later the engine was a goner

It doesn't relate
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

PyrateSilly
Explorer
Explorer
We finally got rid of our RV fridge a few years ago. We measured where the residential would go - height, width AND depth. Then measured the doorway to the RV without a door or hinges on it. We then went to Lowe's and Home Depot and took measurements of the fridges without doors or hinges on them. Found one that would fit all the dimensions. Ordered it to have Lowe's deliver it with the understanding that they will take the old RV one away.
My other half then did all the prep work with pulling the old one out and capping the propane line and moving the outlet for the plug for the new fridge. When Lowe's delivery got there all they had to do was help bring the new one in, which they complained about cause the door just fit the fridge going in. And then to take the old one away which they tried to refuse to do but we had our paperwork which specifically said they would take the RV absorption one away. Abbey then moved everything into position, hooked up the water for the ice machine and plugged it all in and no problems since with it.

So yes there is quite a bit of work to change them out but so worth it in my opinion.
Abigail and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV.

MrWizard
From experience
Inverters and residential fridge are less prone to failure than absorption RV fridges
And if one fails and is warm inside when you open the fridge
Then you should have enough sense to not eat the food
That engine cost a lot more than some food and a new inverter
The comparison is not valid

You did not have much option regarding engine replacement, unless you were willing to replace other parts of the drive train

Putting in a residential fridge does require additional items, inverter batteries, that may not be pre-existing

But the comparison is just not the same

And a failed inverter is not going to be leaving you stranded on the side of road, oil all over the ground,

Totally different circumstances

Coincidentally I have had both fridge failure and engine failure
The Fridge was remedied in a matter of hours, the engine
Took weeks both times
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:

Doesn't that apply to everything? Your Cummings engine is nice....provided it works! Things fail. However, an inverter failing is not an indication that all inverters fail or are unreliable.
My residential fridge was installed in 1999 and is still running just fine. First on a MSW inverter and now on a TSW inverter. With 20 years fulltiming and 17 year of traveling full time I can tell you that there's really no reason to believe that inverters or household fridges in are RV are anything less than awesome!

Well yes, It does, and in fact my Chevy 8.1L Vortec did fail about 3 years ago Just got back on the road this month.

But when the Chevy failed.. The food in the fridge did NOT spoil as secondary damage.. I did not get sick from food poisoning as a reslut.

I must have missed something :h

I have an 8.1, never had any problems with it. Not sure how that relates to running a refrigerator on an inverter.

All things will fail, eventually. Every stop, I check to make sure the refrigerator is humming. I also carry a generator for longer trips for "just in case" scenarios. However, My 2 coach batteries will run the refrigerator for about 16 hours before the inverter will trip on low voltage. That's usually enough time to get where I'm going.
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many go with a Samsung 18 French door counter depth refer that will go in a MH door. It also does not need a PSW inverter because the compressors are DC.

It is not that hard of a install BUT you need 6" more height than a 1200.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
How do you plan on getting the fridges in/out of the rig? Going to have to pop a window or windshield?
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It's like me saying "All tires are rags because my Douglas Wal-Mart toad tires last 7,000 miles".

I got those Michelins and a thousand miles later I looked in a mirror and said to myself You had no one to blame but yourself".

When Xantrax bought Trace it was exactly as if "Douglas" bought Michelin. Like Douglas I will never again touch a Xantex product.

I would suggest using a DEDICATED Samlex or Meanwell inverter sized appropriately and the ensure the integrity of battery recharging electrical

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:

Doesn't that apply to everything? Your Cummings engine is nice....provided it works! Things fail. However, an inverter failing is not an indication that all inverters fail or are unreliable.
My residential fridge was installed in 1999 and is still running just fine. First on a MSW inverter and now on a TSW inverter. With 20 years fulltiming and 17 year of traveling full time I can tell you that there's really no reason to believe that inverters or household fridges in are RV are anything less than awesome!

Well yes, It does, and in fact my Chevy 8.1L Vortec did fail about 3 years ago Just got back on the road this month.

But when the Chevy failed.. The food in the fridge did NOT spoil as secondary damage.. I did not get sick from food poisoning as a reslut.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
I replaaced a smaller Norcold about 4 years ago and never looked back. I don't even worry leaving it unplugged going down the road. the temp remains w/in 1 degree after travelling 8 hours. Wish I had done this 20 yrs aago.

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
Not real close to you, but we just had our Norcold replaced with a residential reefer. We bought the reefer ourselves and had it dropped shipped to the custom RV remodeling shop. We added the Magnum CS2012-X Pure Sine inverter installed to power the reefer during driving.

They are TruLine RV in Spokane Valley, WA. Chad is the owner, the front desk is MacKenzie, and they do fantastic work. (We also had a Truma Aquago water heater installed; they are Truma dealers also.)

Good clean professional work.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely no regrets. Samsung RF18 will run on MSW inverter and draws around 10Amps from the batteries when running. I haven't checked the current draw on defrost....
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
One caution just "Popped" UP, something I never thought about till... Well in a manner of speaking it happened to me (I have a standard RV fridge)

THe thread is titled "Replacing a Prosine 2.0"

Your Residential fridges are nice.. Provided the Inverter works.. Mine (inverter) just failed.. Thankfully I have a back up battery charger (Actually I use the other converter as the PRIMARY and the Prosine as the back up .. Long story) but My prosine just died.. So if I Boondock I'm w/o all 120vac less I burn gasoline. at 2.50/gallon/hour.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?