Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No Sound -- Media Player -- puzzled -

monkey44
Nomad
Nomad
Part One::
ASUS Laptop w/Win 7 OS, w/ MS Media Player -- speakers will not work, no sound. Checked the speaker icon, checked Control Panel, find "All systems are working correctly" on each sound icon.

Re-booted - nothing. Found one driver need updating - updated driver - speaker worked - shut off laptop. Next time it started, no speaker sound. Went thru process again - each time I shut-down and restart LT, the speakers will not work.

ON the web: Several tech notices say MS Media Player does not work with Win 7 ??? WHAT? It came loaded in Win 7 OS ... but, found an update for Win 7 and Media Player, installed it - no difference, no sound -- so, am at a loss here. Any ideas??

One other issues of note: The original LT at ASUS Mfgr was Win 10 ... w/Win 7 as option. I chose Win 7 for numerous reasons -- not sure if that affects the Media Player. I'm only looking for sound here, don't care about video ...

Part Two::
If I abandon Media Player, and choose MusicBee or MediaMonkey (any thoughts on these two??) then is it correct I can disable MS Media Player, install either of these two software programs, and run it instead of MS Media Player -- ??? True that media is only software, not hardware??

One final note: Media Player will copy CD to USB (at MP3 format) and music transfers fine and can listen fine in truck thru USB port. IT's only the sound on laptop that is non-functional as far as I can tell.
Thanks for any advice ... M44

ASUS customer service is ZERO help ... and I don't want to ship LT back and lose it for three or four weeks.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
6 REPLIES 6

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sometimes you have conflicting drivers.. Alas.. I'm not sure what they might be b ut I used to use a program (Still licensed for it) that would upset some of the audio programs.. You ahd to kill it off to play some files.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
I use either VLC "video lan player"
For music or video

I also use MPC media player classic for video

Both are free and my top two picks for music and movies
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

monkey44
Nomad
Nomad
GuyM wrote:
I have the same Asus setup as you do, and media player works fine on mine, so compatibility should not be the problem. I have had several little quirks with the Asus and when I have one I go back and restore to an early time when everything was working. That has always solved my problems.

Guy

My tech son came over and played around for awhile - said it needed a driver - installed it. Sound worked, then I shut down for the night, next AM, booted up, same issues NO sound???

I'm in the process of backing-up all new images and work onto a new SSD back-up drive... When I finish that, will do a restore and see what happens.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

monkey44
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, fn key for off - on speakers. When I push it (them) a speaker pops up on the desktop, but again, nothing happens -- I'm not real tech smart, but can get around if I take my time. But, nothing shows up as failure ... when I try to play a CD, it pops a window that says "Media failure" and when I click on it, goes to website that says "no error codes available"...

I did find a patch on MS website for Media Player Win 7 -- downloaded it, but nothing changed.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

GuyM
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same Asus setup as you do, and media player works fine on mine, so compatibility should not be the problem. I have had several little quirks with the Asus and when I have one I go back and restore to an early time when everything was working. That has always solved my problems.

Guy

ncscz
Explorer
Explorer
There probably is a on/off key combination on the keyboard to turn internal speakers on/off. Often there is no indication on the screen that you have turned them off - they just do not work. Reboots and software upgrades usually do not over ride this switch.

Usually the control is a 'fn' key + a number key pressed together. There will be a speaker icon on the key next to the number/character. Look close because it usually is in a blue color so it is not real obvious.

And you are correct, ASUS tech support is "reboot, if that does not work send to repair depot".
CarriGo
Model 2320