cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dexter EZ Flex install

kep5niner
Explorer
Explorer
I completed the installation of the Dexter EZ Flex rubber suspension system, as well as the wet bolts, this past weekend. My hopes were to eliminate all of the snapping / popping at low speeds, increase longevity of the suspension, replace the OEM junk plastic bushings, and smooth out the ride.

I did not capture the installation in a write-up, as there is plenty of information on this forum and elsewhere on the web. It was rather straight-forward, and the installation went without any issues.

On the short trip (to include highway travel) back to storage, the difference and improvement was immediately felt. Taking the rig on a 3-hour trek this weekend, and looking forward to the improved ride and handling.

No real question or issue as the point of this thread, just thought I would report back with my findings and that if there is anyone on the fence considering this upgrade, it definitely seems worthwhile!
2016 Salem Hemisphere 368 RLBH / 2014 F250 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke / 2011 Bayliner 315 / T/5.0 MPI
13 REPLIES 13

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Puddles wrote:
Man, feel like you're one in a million... 5 years, the plastic bushings had failed, let the bolts egg shape the spring hanger holes... one hole was close to being clear thru the hanger. Please keep a periodic inspection on them. 🙂

From the E-trailer site: Never Fail bushings from Lippert are designed to be the last replacement bushings you'll ever need for your trailer's suspension system. Their modified polyamide construction is extra-durable and can outlast nylon or bronze bushings. Plus, Never Fail bushings are maintenance-free and self-lubricating - no need to use messy grease, replace, or worry about them for as long as they are on your trailer.

Plus they are inexpensive. 😉
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
One note of caution. I did the EZFlex and wet bolt conversion a couple of years ago. I recently had to completely remove my axles and springs and found almost half of the bronze bushings completely shot. They've been greased but I guess the grease doesn't flow well in them and only lubricates part of the bushing. They last longer than the little plastic ones but they don't last long. Mine only 10000 to 15000 miles. I'm trying the Never Fail from Lippert now to see if they work better.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not only the extra parts cost, there is the extra labor to press in the bronze bushings.

When you are talking a couple bucks on 1,000's of units it makes a big change on the bottom line.

I did the upgrade myself. Over two days it took 11 hours including jacking the trailer, getting tools out and putting them away, and removing the OEM parts and putting in the Dexter wet bolts, bushings, and the EZ flex equalizer. I am sure at the factory it would add less than fifteen minutes to do the entire thing, when the frame/springs/axles are easily accessible, nothing to remove, and it is on an assembly line. I can't defend the manufacturers like you are. Putting something together that has a life of a few thousand miles is simply wrong.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
jmtandem wrote:
The installation of the wet bolt kit totally reworks the way the bolts and bushings interact. It becomes a decent working system.

And to think all of this kit including the wet bolts could have been installed at the factory adding a couple dollars to the cost. Building stuff that is starting to fail (plastic bushings) in 3000-4000 miles is just ridiculous. I changed mine out at around 3500 miles and the plastic bushings were already showing major wear.

Not only the extra parts cost, there is the extra labor to press in the bronze bushings.

When you are talking a couple bucks on 1,000's of units it makes a big change on the bottom line.
But suppose you add in the cost, plus 2 percent. What does that add to the overall cost of the unit? Maybe $200 to a $50,000 trailer? And the profit would be the same. Heck, people add $2000 worth of disc brakes after they've already paid big bucks. I doubt that $200 would even cause a hiccup, especially since they wouldn't even know about if they weren't told. Except they might pay $50,200 rather than $50,000. Plus it makes a great selling point if they marketed it right: decreased maintenance, and increased reliability.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
jmtandem wrote:
The installation of the wet bolt kit totally reworks the way the bolts and bushings interact. It becomes a decent working system.

And to think all of this kit including the wet bolts could have been installed at the factory adding a couple dollars to the cost. Building stuff that is starting to fail (plastic bushings) in 3000-4000 miles is just ridiculous. I changed mine out at around 3500 miles and the plastic bushings were already showing major wear.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^Not to disagree that the nylon/plastic "bushings" are less than useless, but the design of most trailer "suspensions" is pitiful. From what I've seen most bolts will start to wear out the hangers eventually. It's just a very poor design.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:
Not saying it is not worth doing but I have had the plastic bushings for 25 years and no issues. I did replace the old plastic with new ones about 10 years ago when I flipped the axles. The 15 year old bushings still looked fine if somewhat off color. They were no longer white.

Anyway, glad you are happy with your upgrade. I have considered replacing hanger bolts to get the wet ones but the ones from the flip are still fine so I guess I will just keep them.

Man, feel like you're one in a million... 5 years, the plastic bushings had failed, let the bolts egg shape the spring hanger holes... one hole was close to being clear thru the hanger. Please keep a periodic inspection on them. 🙂
HTML

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW when I replaced the plastic/nylon "bushings" on my toyhauler, they were worn to nothing in several places and might have lasted another couple thousand miles before they were toast. I installed the EZ Flex kit with about 3,000 miles on the trailer.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Not saying it is not worth doing but I have had the plastic bushings for 25 years and no issues. I did replace the old plastic with new ones about 10 years ago when I flipped the axles. The 15 year old bushings still looked fine if somewhat off color. They were no longer white.

Anyway, glad you are happy with your upgrade. I have considered replacing hanger bolts to get the wet ones but the ones from the flip are still fine so I guess I will just keep them.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

kep5niner
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
I did the same install a couple years ago. All good. Never looked back. My original OEM bushings were some kind of plastic. You got to be kidding????

I couldn't agree more! Now I've already logged about 4,000 miles on this new trailer in the past year, but the plastic "bushings" (I use that term loosely) were toast - effectively providing no friction reduction / mitigation for the leaf springs. I'm certain failure was imminent.
2016 Salem Hemisphere 368 RLBH / 2014 F250 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke / 2011 Bayliner 315 / T/5.0 MPI

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did the same install a couple years ago. All good. Never looked back. My original OEM bushings were some kind of plastic. You got to be kidding????

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMO this is one of the best improvements for the money spent. I was amazed at how differently, i.e. better, the ride was. Excellent bang for the buck.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"