cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is a toad a trailer?

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
While driving across the fruited plain this week from Kansas to California an interesting thought came up. I was driving an Entegra class A towing a 1500 Chev. 4 down. As we hit the Ca. border the speed limit decreases to 55 IF you are towing a TRAILER. Up until then it was 75 all the way. Discuss amongst yourselves.

trailยทer
?tr?l?r/Submit
noun
an unpowered vehicle towed by another, in particular.
25 REPLIES 25

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I went to mex via I8 yesterday and the signs posted said trailes nothing with all vehicles.

Again 55 may turn your boat but it is a hazard in a lot of situations particularly if not in the far right lane, then it will also create other problems. Too many try to self enforce speed limits and create hazardous situations. Last night some clown pulled into middle lane of I10 (75mph) at 55mph with his trailer and I almost ran into him. It didnt help that his trailer lights were out either. Cops too busy trying to stop 18 wheelers (same point in time) and let the clown slide by. Big truck didn't appear to be doing anything wrong IMO!

Bottom line, drive what you think is safe for you, but remember there are others out there also. 5 or 10 over is generally ok with most leo's, bumpy my speedo is 3 off from the computer (scan gauge reading) 4-5 by GPS!

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
D.E.Bishop wrote:

Now to give you my opinion why the fines are so steep in CA, we passed Prop 13 decades ago and for good reason. Extrapolation from the time of the passage of 13 to today, our property taxes would be well over $15,000 dollars a year instead of $1500 today and that is in 1970 dollars. At least that is what my CPA said to us when we had our taxes done this year. It is true that the politicians in CA today feel that the Federal Government should follow CA's guidelines for everything after all they are all knowing. .

Perhaps wiser spending/ fiscal policies back then would have helped prevent this need for prop 13?
bumpy

You may be right but what is the relevance to this thread?
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:

Now to give you my opinion why the fines are so steep in CA, we passed Prop 13 decades ago and for good reason. Extrapolation from the time of the passage of 13 to today, our property taxes would be well over $15,000 dollars a year instead of $1500 today and that is in 1970 dollars. At least that is what my CPA said to us when we had our taxes done this year. It is true that the politicians in CA today feel that the Federal Government should follow CA's guidelines for everything after all they are all knowing. .

Perhaps wiser spending/ fiscal policies back then would have helped prevent this need for prop 13?
bumpy

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll is correct and the change in the wording was to clarify the old definition that grammatically allowed some exemptions. At the same time the definition was expanded to include "ALL VEHICLES" with 3 or more axels, speed limit is 55.

I cannot defend this speed limit for towing nor with 3 or more axels in any way shape or form. The law actually came about from the AAA feeling that in their tests that were done long before I was born, that the mechanical and hydraulic brakes of the 20's and 30's were not capable of stopping within their opinion of a safe distance.

It is so hard to say without making yourself liable(morally) to some degree at least, that 60 or 70 is okay in CA as everyone does it and the CHP allows leeway.

I like going to 60 with the towed and I do. That speed is in my comfort zone. The difference in the handling of our Winnie(F53 chassis) and our former Bounder(Chevy P30) is remarkable and I have found myself cruising at speeds above 60mph. Then I consider what I know I am comfortable at while towing and slow back down. But that is for ME and how I feel. Even if CA were to go to the 75 mph limit for towing, you will find me in the far right through lane doing 60 mph.

I have looked at accident reviews on the highways for most states and we do not have lower accidents rates involving vehicles towing. Improvements in technology has lower the accidents per miles driven not the speed limit in CA.

I'm not bashing Florida, this is tongue in cheek, I've seen more single car accidents in Florida than any other state we driven through. I didn't look at that statistic in reviews by state, it was a one time observation.

It is time for the State Of California to grow up and admit they have some ridicules driving laws.

Now to give you my opinion why the fines are so steep in CA, we passed Prop 13 decades ago and for good reason. Extrapolation from the time of the passage of 13 to today, our property taxes would be well over $15,000 dollars a year instead of $1500 today and that is in 1970 dollars. At least that is what my CPA said to us when we had our taxes done this year. It is true that the politicians in CA today feel that the Federal Government should follow CA's guidelines for everything after all they are all knowing.

Okay, now my rant is over and I've in effect bashed CA after bashing you guys for doing it. Sorry! Please don't let our speed limits or politicians stop you from coming here to visit. We are as spectacular as any of the other states and well worth a visit.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, the legal definition of "trailer" can be answered very simply: Look at your state laws. I bet "trailer" is very specifically defined in the laws of your state. I know for sure it is in Montana. Here, one of the requirements is that it must be "designed to be drawn by a motor vehicle". I don't know of any car or truck that was designed to be towed. Also, it must be "designed for carrying property". Most cars and trucks are primarily designed for carrying people.
See MCA 61-1-101 (82) (a)
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
FIVE FIVE and stay alive.
Opinions are like ....., everybody has one
bumpy

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"Hi, being from California 55 MPH speed limit means that you can safely go 65 MPH."

Which is at the max limit of many TT tires. I don't choose to run at max. "Sustained rate of fire" was drilled too deeply into my brain.

"Explain to me the thinking behind the 55 limit." Klutch, I can't explain it or why the Legislature made it so. But it was sure back in the "drum brake" era...in fact as long as I can remember.

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, I switched to 81 MPH rated trailer tires. The 55 MPH speed limit was to save lives and fuel. It did neither in my opinion.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that you answered your own question with the definition you provided. How about the pregnant woman in the HOV lane who claimed that the fetus was a passenger? Isn't your question in the same vein?
RichH

klutchdust wrote:

trailยทer
?tr?l?r/Submit
noun
an unpowered vehicle towed by another, in particular.
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
mowermech wrote:
IIRC, the last time I was in CA, they were changing the signs to eliminate confusion. The new signs say something like "ALL towing units 55 MPH MAX."
If you are towing ANYTHING behind ANYTHING, your speed limit is 55 MPH, period!

You might get away with a bit more but if cited it will say 55 max on the citation.
And the cost seems to rise exponentially based on your actual speed over the limit.

And BTW it has always been 55 when towing even before the National 55 limit that started in the '70s.

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
If I were to ever travel in California, I don't think I would want to give them any reason to pull me over and search my coach.

Some state patrol officers see the Texas plates and (maybe rightfully) assume that I travel with an arsenal.

I guess it just depends on how you define "an arsenal".

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Hi, being from California 55 MPH speed limit means that you can safely go 65 MPH."

Which is at the max limit of many TT tires. I don't choose to run at max. "Sustained rate of fire" was drilled too deeply into my brain.

"Explain to me the thinking behind the 55 limit." Klutch, I can't explain it or why the Legislature made it so. But it was sure back in the "drum brake" era...in fact as long as I can remember.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, being from California 55 MPH speed limit means that you can safely go 65 MPH. And a 65 MPH speed limit means you can go 75 or 80. Or by state law, go with the flow of traffic. My trailer and the big rigs seldom ever drive at 55 MPH. Ten over the limit on California freeways is normal.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
Just be safe and travel the 55 mph speed limit. No problem then.

If you do that be sure and put your 4 way flashers on so none rams into the back of you. Seriously though ,California "claims" to be forward thinkers. Explain to me the thinking behind the 55 limit. Once you get into the open desert good luck with finding anyone doing that. I understand the toad/trailer scenario however find it totally ridiculous. If the wife would follow me I would move out of this state.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Hank85713 wrote:

But again its beware. i drive 5 over the posted most places will give ya 10 since the speedos are really not accurate. Just check your gps and the speedo and see how far off they are in most instances.

don't know if you are just talking about motorcycle speedos but you are totally wrong on my automobiles/trucks.
one is about 1 mph off and the other about 3 mph off.
many years back I got a ticket for speeding and I went to get my speedometer checked to fight the ticket. the first thing the tester said was that I was wasting my money, they are now (20 years ago) very accurate. he was right. it was right on or at least not enough off to be able to fight a ticket.
bumpy