cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Effect on solar equipment under cover

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
Everything is fixed on my trailer, and my 945 watts of solar panels are now parked under the shed that covers my fifth wheel. Should I turn off the breakers from my panels to the controller and should I shut off the controller? Is there any harm to the equipment to be in total shade? The controller says it's making zero amps.
11 REPLIES 11

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
Shut off each breaker to the panels then shut off power to the controller. All is quiet. Thanks

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
My combiner box is on the roof and each panel has a circuit breaker. When covering for the winter, I flip all the breakers off.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure how long I'll be under cover. Maybe a few weeks. I'll first shut off the panels then the controller. Thanks for reminding me.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
2oldman, the trailer or the module power?
Oh.. I guess I misunderstood. The panels are on a separate trailer?

It's spring, stuff isn't supposed to be in storage!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman, the trailer or the module power?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
How long is it going to be there?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Observe the proper sequence when removing solar power. Some controllers will not like being disconnected from batteries with module power still present.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
I'll just shut it all down. Thanks. The reason I asked is so many unintuitive things seem to circulate around Solar I don't want to do something harmful I would never have known about. Learning about the voltage spike at dawn on a cold day showed me I don't understand the intricacies of solar.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll, I have considered cutting a hole for one panel...with reinforcement of the edges, weighting it down etc. May do so.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Howard, I have shut mine down to avoid the small drain the controller takes.