cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Miss Inga had a grand mal seizure (UPDATE 5/16/18)

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
At 3:10am this morning, I woke up to a loud, thrashing/crashing sound.:E Not knowing what the heck was going on, I stumbled/rushed down the hallway. I found Inga laying on her side, with her back against the front door. She was thrashing around, unable to get up, obviously in a panic. Her eyes seemed unfocused and staring, not darting back and forth as in a vestibular event. We immediately tried to calm her down, and after a minute or two she came out of it and was able to get up. We then noticed that she was wet from laying in her own urine. A few minutes later, it was if nothing had happened at all.

She has been fine all day today since then, but we are going in to our vet tomorrow.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

38 REPLIES 38

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great news Walter. Hope all goes well from here.
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Good news for Inga!
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Our vet said today that Inga is in great shape, other than needing to lose about 10lbs. ๐Ÿ˜›

As far as her grand mal seizure issue, no medication or treatment is indicated unless her seizures become more frequent than two or three times a year, or if they last longer than 4-5 minutes.

2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
After Pete had his first one the vet did not recommend medication unless they were more frequent than once a month IIRC.

At first he had them about every 6 months, then it was about one per year. Now it's been 2 years since his last one. Unless one happened when we weren't there to see it.

Hopefully Inga won't have them very often. It sure is scary watching it happen.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Well, it will probably be another "wait and see" approach. One a year is not enough for me to put my dog on those meds. Neal would have 13 in 24 hours. But we did get him through it with the meds. But they destroyed his liver. So hopefully your vet will be conservative. One of my granddogs does the same, although I think he may have 2-3 a year. They do not medicate. They do the honey after a seizure and he is soon back to normal. Remember, as terrifying as it it (and IT IS), the dog feels nothing and the best thing is to just keep them free of obstacles so they can't hurt themselves. They don't remember it.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I hope Inga doesn't have to go on medication and that she won't have many seizures. You might want to check her food and see if it contains rosemary. It doesn't cause seizures, but it can lower the threshold for dogs that have them.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Prayers that this is just a rare occurrence.....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Walter I hope Inga recovers and doesn't have another seizure. I know how much you and Garland love your fur babies so I wish you the best.
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear About Inga. Hopefully everything is OK.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
dturm wrote:
....Megan had seizures so infrequently that we never medicated her....

I am guessing that our vet will tell us that if she only has one seizure per year, we should not medicate her either. We will see on Monday . . . .

2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

dturm
Sorry to hear that. Megan had seizures so infrequently that we never medicated her - she had 5 or 6 in her 15 years of life. Hope this is a one off.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Dang, Inga just had another grand mal seizure about an hour ago. ๐Ÿ˜ž It's been almost exactly a year since her last one.

She is due for a routine vet visit soon anyway, so we will go ahead and get in there asap.

2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
That reminds me of how old Max acted when we lost Willow. He would stick his head through the pet door and look outside for his old friend. I am seeing a similar relationship developing between Shadow and Hannah.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
sher9570 wrote:
...she must be lonesome with Gretchen gone, I know my dogs take a bit to adjust to life when they lose one of their pack, much like us humans.

Sher

Inga, knock on wood, has not had another seizure.

We are all still adjusting to being a one dog family and the "new normal". If we mention Gretchen's name in conversation, Inga's ears go up and she briefly scans the room. Sometimes she appears a little "lost", but she is certainly not in a deep depression.

2018 Silverado HD 6.0L