cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hooking power cord to rig

burghfan
Explorer
Explorer
Since purchasing our 2007 Mirada 290KS, I have developed some back problems. I hope this inquiry isn't too stupid, but I wanted to get some good info before I attempt anything. My issue is the power cord, (50 amp)specifically it is sometimes a bit difficult to connect it on the side of the rig (has to be pushed in and turned to lock it in). My question is, is it safe or advisable to use some sort of lubricant to make it a bit easier to connect it to the rig? Thank you very much for any help with this matter

Jeff & ShawnTae
11 REPLIES 11

burghfan
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank everybody for the helpful hints and insight. I think I have several viable options which should help. Again, thank you and happy trails to all.

Jeff & ShawnTae

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
sgip2000 wrote:
Sure, dielectric grease can be used. Will also protect the contacts from corrosion.

X2. I always put a dab of dielectric grease on each contact at the power pedestal before I plug in. It makes removal a lot easier and helps prevent corrosion as was stated above.

Of course I plug my PT50 EMS in first to make sure the pedestal is wired right.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you need 50 amps? You could get a 30 amp cord adapter that fits.
Otherwise don't be afraid to ask for help.
Above replies are good too.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
Maybe a 50 amp 90 degree adapter would help you. Holding up the heavy cable and rotating the plug is difficult.

Example

Better yet replace the stock, plastic insulated anaconda, with a 6/4 SO cable. The cable is not as heavy, and also softer and much easier to handle.

This is our 40' 6/4 SO 50 amp power cable in a 3 gallon bucket, and the 30 to 50 amp dog bone!! The hand is only for scale, the cable doesn't try to get out of the bucket even in below freezing temps.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Corrosion X will help.

Agreed

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe a 50 amp 90 degree adapter would help you. Holding up the heavy cable and rotating the plug is difficult.

Example

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Corrosion X will help.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Something does not sound right. My twist connection is very easy. Maybe yours is bent or dirty.

Fubeca
Explorer
Explorer
If you use any kind of a wet lube (like grease), it will pick up all sorts of road dust unless it has a tight cover. You'll likely need to clean it out periodically.

I've seen these Smart Plug pass throughs which seem to be another option, but I imagine they might get a little hard to insert over time too.

http://smartplug.com/rv/inlets/

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Before attempting lubrication, I'd check to see if there's some dirt to be cleaned out of the plug and socket surfaces, particularly the cam lock ring thingy if it's that sort of a connector. Thoroughly brushing or washing out debris (and of course letting it dry completely if washing) might just do the trick.

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
Sure, dielectric grease can be used. Will also protect the contacts from corrosion.