cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unbelievable how cheap they can make them.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Friend has 2009 Forest River Sierra 5er. Supposed to have Laminated Vacuum Bonded Aluminum Sidewalls and it does in some areas but not in the back or in the rear side wall. Major water damage and side wall has no supports/framing for over 4' and it's just soft 2x2 wood (no alum in the sidewall) and styrofoam sandwiched between the outer skin and the lauan thin inside plywood. Hardly any calking in the 1" overlaps at corners and roof.

On the left side of the picture you can see the wall that runs from the back of the trailer forward 4' to the white area without any supports.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...
18 REPLIES 18

GHop
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your problems with your fifth wheel. We have always had a Northwood fifth wheel because they are known for building a great unit. Although we had a couple little issues, they corrected quickly without delay. We are glade to have kept with Northwood after reading story after story of other manufactures poor workmanship and the dealer failure to repair these units before or after delivery.
G.H.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Aridon, It is sad about the DRV's. We had heard that they were among the best. We looked at a "barely" used '07, which was "pre - Thor", and quality really took a "dump"! To say that we were "underwhelmed" is " not" "overstated"!!! :W BUT...It was "pretty"! :B
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another Sierra parked next to me today...guess what? Yep, he had to replace his entire back end. Buyers/Owners beware.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Forest River Sierra 5ver and was not impressed with the lack of quality. The Sierra is not the cheapest trailer in the Forest River lineup.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
I can tell you now, I wouldn't buy a drv again so the idea that you pay more and get no issues is bs.

If you're playing the longevity game on these units you simply have to keep the water out.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
travelnutz wrote:
Buy cheap, get cheap junk! Buy junk, get junk! Buy higher level better quality products, have a good chance of getting a better product! A dollar only buys so much and if you desire more, spend more dollars!!!

See how easy it is to avoid junk?
Gee, that sound so easy. We spent a night in a company campground picking up our new toyhauler. The owner of the company mostly sold very high end motorhomes. He had a bunch of people camped there waiting to have their very fancy, very expensive, very new motorhomes repaired. Several had been there a couple weeks and one guy had been there a couple months waiting on parts.

A couple years ago we camped next to a woman with a very expensive Mobile Suite that had so many issues after she bought it she had to take it back to the factory to have the repairs done.

The only thing more expensive RV's guarantee is that you'll have less money in your pocket when you're done.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
MPI_Mallard wrote:
Did you contact Forest River about this????

He's the second owner and it's 8 years old. Not a snow ball chance.

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Buy cheap, get cheap junk! Buy junk, get junk! Buy higher level better quality products, have a good chance of getting a better product! A dollar only buys so much and if you desire more, spend more dollars!!!

See how easy it is to avoid junk?
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought Forrest River was one of the brands touted as better than most.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Did you contact Forest River about this????
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Better title would have been: "Unbelievable how cheap they DO make them." The mfrs can =always= make them cheaper.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

CarolynandBob
Explorer
Explorer
This is one reason we would not even look at anything that advertised "lite". They will need to scrimp on stuff to get it light.

We also took a factory tour and saw how they build them with the aluminum supports and studs.
2017 Vilano 375FL (Bob's Cabin Carolyn's Beach House)
2017 F350 Dually 4x4
8 Year old Pug/Terrier
9 Year old Puggle
8 Year old Boxer/Greyhound

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
When it comes to RVs you rarely get what you pay for. If you manage to get one unit that is then we beat the poop out of it on the roads until it isn't. There is nothing like an interstate bridge joint or a surprise RR crossing.
In this case the manufacturer just flat lied it appears.
Puma 30RKSS

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
FrankShore wrote:
You get what you pay for I guess!

I agree but when you think you are getting an alum structure that will withstand some leaking and you discover not all of the sidewalls have alum studs as advertised...you did not get what you paid for.