cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another Class C, grade "A" adventure...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just returned from a great 4 day run to Canyon Point CG up on the Mogollon rim northeast of Payson, AZ. We hadn't been to Canyon point for over a year but now remember why we always enjoyed our time spent there. Gorgeous CG at 7,700' and I lucked out getting one of the 30 amp sites for our 3 night stay {$12.50 a night with our Geezer Card}. With memorial Day approaching every site in the White Mountains has been booked but we do not do weekends... much less major holiday weekends.

The sites are large and heavily wooded with Ponderosa Pines. Reservations are always a good idea here but there are a number of non reservable sites that go first come first served. By this morning everything was reserved or occupied for the Memorial day weekend.

They have hot showers and flush toilets near the entrance and the two lane dump station and the rest of the large CG is served by vault toilets with a few water spigots scattered throughout. These spigots are not to be used to fill RV's... and no, you cannot use your "Water Thief". :S
Like most folks we just stopped at the dump station on the way in to top off our water tank and then dump the black and grey's on the sway out.... don't need no stinking full hook ups... :B

While our 24' Class C eliminates the need for a toad as it fits just about anywhere we do love to ride my motorcycle {Harley Dyna Super Glide}, and have a nice Kendon trailer that I tow it with.

Here is a shot of the rig at our site at Canyon point:

We rode for 5 hours on Tuesday to the east {Heber, SnowFlake, Taylor, Show Low and back to Canyon Point}. Wednesday we headed west back down the Mogollon Rim to and through Payson and out 87 north to Pine and Strawberry before returning to Payson for breakfast and then taking 260 back up, and I do mean "Up" and over the top of the Rim. These are some seriously fine bike riding roads and we even took a little time to explore one of the local lakes.

With triple digit temps back in Tucson the weather up on the Rim was awesome with temps in the high 70's to low 80's and no wind. Sadly today's forecast called for 30 - 40 mph winds which necessitated a major Red Flag warning for most of Arizona. We cleared the CG at 8 and had an easy ride home arriving at 1230 with a nice lunch stop at the River Bottom Grill in Florence.

The White Mountains/Mogollon Rim areas are our escape from the heat of southern Arizona summers. No matter how hot it gets down in the valley's once you head up 6,000 to 9,000+' excessive heat is no longer an issue. Our next escape {coming soon no doubt}, will be back up to Big Lake's Rainbow CG at 9,200'. Life among the Pines and Aspens is a great way to enjoy Arizona's summer.

:C
2 REPLIES 2

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
We also have been there and really like the CG. First time we went we parked and got set up, hooked up the electric and then realized "wheres the water spigot". Had to pull in the slide, move everything and go find the spigot which was located at that time over by one of the bathrooms.. We also tow both of our Harleys (both the Wife and I ride)on an Aluma trailer. Had a Kendon trailer way back when and managed to fall off of it with my Ultra Classic one day!! Ouch..

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like you have it all figured out, and yes we really like the higher elevations and the cool temps. Good looking rig with the bike too.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible