cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning use

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering how many times you use your awning? So far out of the 3 years of owning the RV, we may have used it.. 5 times... Maybe. This year however we are going to Florida so we may use it a few times...
Proud father of a US Marine
45 REPLIES 45

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Oops!

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from 8 days at Bodega Bay Ca. used our awning every day and loved it. Also install LED colored light strip under the awning nice cheap ad on from amazon.
Mel

DVREDC5
Explorer
Explorer
Our current awning is also electric she very easy to extend. Plus, it automatically retracts if it gets too windy. As a result, we use it whenever we are parked. Helps keep the coach cooler too when it's really hot out and great for sitting outside in a light rain if you want to stay dry.
DVREDC5

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
If you ran the math, it would say we do NOT use our awning very much...I've seen enough storm damage that I don't wantonly open it and leave it.

That being said- if there's a nice calm rain going on that's worth enjoying OR some shade is needed, it goes out (and then is put away when we're done).

AND, ours is totally manual.

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
As often as we can. We camp alot along the pacific ocean from Sonomo county to Canada. And the wind seems to be too much. I never leave it out unatended or at night. But when are in Washington near the Canada border on our property boondocking facing south for the solar. I put it down very low and it keeps coach cooler.
Mel

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We always use our awning. Now that we camp seasonally, it's out 24/7 unless there are high winds (25+ mph) or gusty winds forecast. Our current camper has a 20' manual awning and it does rattle some in the wind. We use a set of awning tie downs to help keep the rattle down. Our previous camper had an 11' electric awning. We used the same awning tie downs with it to keep it from moving in the wind.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
For the DW And I, every time. It does not feel like we're camping till the awning is out and the lights are hung! ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport, I appreciate your idea of carrying extra awnings. The problem for us is we are driving a 30' MH. As you know, these have limited basement space compared to your 5er. We had a 5er and now a B+---everything is a trade off.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
derh20 wrote:
I am surprised how many people put their awnings out. It seems everytime I think about it, it would not help block the sun due to the location of the MH. It seems the awning only helps between ~11AM-2PM, when the sun is directly above you. We seem to use it most when it is raining and warm.

That's why we carry with us, (now) 2 quick shades. With the awning, they can be tilted or left straight to create additional shade. We have found that tipping them when the sun is low in the sky works wonderful! As the sun moves around, we can move them. Here's a photo of our original one. It finally died after 15 years, literally the fabric just wore thin and split. So we bought two new ones. You can see them in the photos I added in the post above.

We love the quick shades. They are so versatile and mobile.

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
I am surprised how many people put their awnings out. It seems everytime I think about it, it would not help block the sun due to the location of the MH. It seems the awning only helps between ~11AM-2PM, when the sun is directly above you. We seem to use it most when it is raining and warm.

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Not often, we're usually in a shady spot.

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
Padlin wrote:
I use mine a lot but worry too much about wind so I end up taking it in a lot, pretty much every time we leave the site.

Question, do the folks who leave them up all the time tie them down? If you use a screen, do you tie both the awning and the screen down?

We live in our fiver for 5 months in Florida. We put out the electric awning, add a sun screen, deflappers and tie down both. Maybe once each season we take it in for over 40 mph gusts. Otherwise it's always set up, no problems so far.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use it rarely since we don't spend a lot of time sitting around outside. It's an electric one, so it's no big deal to put in and out, but we just don't use it much. Kind of like our generator. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
OOPS again. I thought I read 2007. Had a senior moment :S
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)