cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheel bearing failure, now no trailer brakes

dpatt67
Explorer
Explorer
This last weekend I had a wheel bearing fail and get the whole area really hot. I've taken care of the bearing, but pulling it home I had no trailer brakes. My truck dash said "check trailer wiring", and I already knew that some of the insulation had melted and that brake wire. The fuses look good on the trailer, is there a fusible link or relay that is another "weak link" that I'm missing?
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4
2014 Cross Roads Zinger 31sb
6 REPLIES 6

Admin
Duplicate thread
See other thread running

Admin
RV.net
Admin
RV.net

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
dpatt67 wrote:
This last weekend I had a wheel bearing fail and get the whole area really hot. I've taken care of the bearing, but pulling it home I had no trailer brakes. My truck dash said "check trailer wiring", and I already knew that some of the insulation had melted and that brake wire. The fuses look good on the trailer, is there a fusible link or relay that is another "weak link" that I'm missing?

I agree, check the 7 wire plug to make sure it has a good connection. If it does, then the burnt wire insulation may have touched on the + 12 volt wire to the brakes against the frame and grounded the system out and that can trip the "check trailer wiring" message.

I myself have never seen a fusible link in a brake circuit on the trailer. The truck itself may have short circuit protection, but odds are no, not the trailer.

Check the hot melted wire setup including the actual magnet.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Do what I did, jack up one side of the TT or each tire with a Tireaid and spin each tire while the wife steps on the brakes.

My problem was two broken brakes magnet wires.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you get some electrical help to find and fix.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Make sure it's not the plug at the truck outlet. My 2014 Ram will give me a 'trailer not connected brake' message but if I play with the plug it is ok. I end up tie-wrapping the plug to the outlet cover to hold it in place.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
You most likely brunt the wire for the magnet on that brake.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.