cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup camera

DRM796
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our new tv has a backup camera in the tailgate. Is there a backup camera that can be mounted to the back of our 5er that would use the factory installed screen that the trucks backup camera uses? If so wireless would be my preference but if I had to run wires it wouldn't be the first time. I found a system that GM makes but it is over a grand. For a grand I'd rather backup and yell I can't see you at the dw.

Thanks
2019 Alpine 3700
2016 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW Duramax
2012 Wildcat 313RE traded in 5/2018
4 REPLIES 4

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
on fords you can disconnect the tailgate camera and plug an extension cord in its place and tun it to the back of the trailer to a compatable camera. Obviously not wireless.
I think the LockPick system which lets yiu add cameras using the trucks monitor is a really good plan.
We didn't do the LockPick because DW didn't want anybody taking the dash apart to connect it to the back of the monitor.
Instead we went with a TadiBrothers separate monitor and a wireless camera to keep an eye on the horses in the horse trailer and it works so well we are going to add one on the camper also for review viewing not just backing up.
Jon
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

DRM796
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:
DRM796 wrote:
Our new tv has a backup camera in the tailgate. Is there a backup camera that can be mounted to the back of our 5er that would use the factory installed screen that the trucks backup camera uses? If so wireless would be my preference but if I had to run wires it wouldn't be the first time. I found a system that GM makes but it is over a grand. For a grand I'd rather backup and yell I can't see you at the dw.

Thanks

Go for the GM system. it's well worth the money IMHO and you can get it for around 800 on ebay. Truck monkey seller in Portland often has the best price. includes cameras in the side mirrors, a remote camera that works extremely well for the Trailer and an optional camera for either the bed for a 5th wheel, or for anywhere else you want a camera.

I don't know how one can add another indepedent camera to the factory display, you need to be able to control the HMI module.

I put the optional camera on the front license plate.

Display is on the GM display, can set it so mirror camera comes on when signal is on, along with rear camera as well.

install is a DIY if you want, took me about 3 hours to do an extremely
clean install. plug and play

Thanks for the info
2019 Alpine 3700
2016 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW Duramax
2012 Wildcat 313RE traded in 5/2018

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
DRM796 wrote:

Thanks

Go for the GM system. it's well worth the money IMHO and you can get it for around 800 on ebay. Truck monkey seller in Portland often has the best price. includes cameras in the side mirrors, a remote camera that works extremely well for the Trailer and an optional camera for either the bed for a 5th wheel, or for anywhere else you want a camera.

I don't know how one can add another indepedent camera to the factory display, you need to be able to control the HMI module.

I put the optional camera on the front license plate.

Display is on the GM display, can set it so mirror camera comes on when signal is on, along with rear camera as well.

install is a DIY if you want, took me about 3 hours to do an extremely clean install. plug and play
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of the newer trailers are pre-wired for rear view cameras. I asked about this a few months ago and someone recommended a LockPick. He gave me this URL: http://www.coastaletech.com/fordapplications.htm. This will allow you to connect a wireless connection to your wired monitor. Careful on the pre-wire though. On mine, it always has power. So it can drain your batteries. On mine, I wired 12v and the appropriate video cable to connect to the tow vehicle.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!