cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We crossed the Canadian border Wed. 24 May

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We topped fuel in Oroville Wa and crossed with full tanks. As we pulled into the gate at Osoyoos crossing we see a new sign, "do not set air brake parking brake" when we get into the gate the guard tells us to hold the foot brake and shut the engine down, then we hand him the 2 passports, and start the 20 questions like always.
Then he says I'll open that gate over there and you go park in that lot and come inside.

We parked and went inside, and a nice young man came to the counter and asked what he could do for us, We told him we were directed to park and come inside, then we showed him the Shot gun import registration request, he then went over to the window for the gate guard, spook for a second, came back and asked us a few more questions about what was inside the coach, like a dangerous dogs, we told him no, so then he asks for the keys to both vehicles and tells us to have a seat while he inspects the coach. he took about 10 minutes to look at the coach, then turns, to talk us.
He was most concerned with the amount of alcohol we had aboard than any thing else, he explained the rules about alcohol, then talked firearms safety, then he registered the weapon, we paid the fee. and we were on our way.
Things learned, has a trigger lock on your weapon, and store the ammo in a different place, and have your weapon in a locked compartment.

WE come to you tonight from Smithers BC , about to turn north on the Cassiar in the morning.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.
76 REPLIES 76

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Okey Dokey. Time to pull a Kavorkian on this thread.

Closed
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:

The ratio of military spending among other NATO countries is similar and this is what the issue is.

Don't go down this road.
You are simply repeating what your politicians are spewing.
The US just sold $130 Billion worth of arms to the Saudi, it's all bout the bottom line, not world peace.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Canada and the USA both have a great military history and our militaries have fought side by side in many wars. But that is military history. Currently Canada spends less than one percent of their GDP on the Military while the US spends over 3.5 percent. In raw numbers Canada's military budget is about $20 billion while the US is almost $600 billion. Canada is actually bigger than the US in land mass and has just over ten percent of the population of the US. Basically Canadian military spending is a fraction that of the US on a per capita and a GDP basis. And that's largely allowed because they have the US as a neighbor and the US could never afford to let anything happen to Canada.

The ratio of military spending among other NATO countries is similar and this is what the issue is.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

F350_RR
Explorer
Explorer
Flyboy320 wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Flyboy320 wrote:
Cape Cod wrote:
Oh, and you spelled neighboring wrong.

That's the way we spell it in Canada neighbour..........

Ya I know. I was just pulling your chain. My dad's side of the family were all K'beckers.

You also say PRO cess and not PRAH cess

and sh-edule and not sk-edule

I guess that's how they taught you in sh-ool.

๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Chain pulled and dually noted with smile on my face !!! LOL. Well them K`beckers are STILL learning !!! LOL ...tongue in cheek. Y`all have a good day now EH!

When I moved to the US from Quebec to go to college in the 60's, I lived off campus from day one. Near one of the campus buildings was a small family run diner that students frequented. Aside from learning to spell certain words differently, the occasional quirk came up in my adjustments to local customs. In Quebec I used vinegar on my chips, sorry, fries. Larry caught me doing this one supper and quickly whipped the plate off the counter and deposited a new batch of fries. Out came the ketchup and a generous blob was dumped on these new fries. "In this country" he said, "we use ketchup". There was silence for a moment in the entire small eatery as I tested a couple of these hot crispy delights and then cheers as I ate the entire plateful. I was now official. Have been using ketchup ever since with exceptions when I visit family.
Doug

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Rather shocked at come of the comments in this thread. So much for brotherly love.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Those that don't want to come to Canada because they cant bring an arsenal should think of going to some other country where they run around with automatics and shoot everything in sight. It may be they could do some good there.
It is not that you cannot bring firearms into Canada, it is you cant bring certain firearms into Canada. If you choose not to come to Canada with an automatic rifle with a humongous clip that holds a pile of ammo, or an auto handgun, that does not bother me at all. I will feel safer. Yes we have crooks here with guns.
We have traveled in the western US fairly extensively and met alot of nice friendly people that appreciated our business. We have met a few rude ones as well as we have in Canada as well. The big difference is they didn't trash foreigners on RV Net.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
myredracer, quote... "I wish Americans would leave their firearms at home.You just don't need them here unless your going hunting or heading to Alaska".

With that attitude, I hope that our military follows that concept when/if you "ever" need help!!!! Oh but the way..... You Canadians are many millions of dollars in arrears on your NATO dues!!!

Well, me son, I've heard that THE USA is behind with UN support.

None of us is expert on t'other country.

๐Ÿ˜‰
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Flyboy320
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Flyboy320 wrote:
Cape Cod wrote:

Ya I know. I was just pulling your chain. My dad's side of the family were all K'beckers.

๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Chain pulled and dually noted with smile on my face !!! LOL. Well them K`beckers are STILL learning !!! LOL ...tongue in cheek. Y`all have a good day now EH!

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
I'm sorry, folks: anyone who has the nerve to come on a chat board like this, particularly on a Memorial Day weekend, and trash the military history of either Canada or the US has lost every bit of respect from me.

If it weren't for their service and sacrifice we would not be free to do this.

BINGO...This individual gets the cigar!!
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Flyboy320 wrote:
Cape Cod wrote:

๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry, folks: anyone who has the nerve to come on a chat board like this, particularly on a Memorial Day weekend, and trash the military history of either Canada or the US has lost every bit of respect from me.

If it weren't for their service and sacrifice we would not be free to do this.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
myredracer, quote... "I wish Americans would leave their firearms at home.You just don't need them here unless your going hunting or heading to Alaska".

With that attitude, I hope that our military follows that concept when/if you "ever" need help!!!! Oh but the way..... You Canadians are many millions of dollars in arrears on your NATO dues!!!

Too funny. There is no such a thing as "NATO DUES". Where do people get this stuff. I heard that in a political speech during a recent foreign election. The person was quickly corrected by his own aids after the fact.

I have never understood why a citizen from one nation could expect that their constitutional rights from their nation could follow them to another nation. This stuff is taught in junior high school. What is it? Poor education? Ignorance? Arrogance?? People are funny.

People are funny.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I can't just let it go ether...estimates are that as many as 12,000 Canadians served in combat roles in Vietnam with 140 of them dying. As many as 40,000 served tho. And these folks volunteered into the US Forces. Canada was not involved.

So..by all means, don't come if you don't want to. But once you begin to throw mud...

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Flyboy320
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
memtb wrote:

Seriously? You need to pull your head out of the sand. I find that insulting as my grandfather fought in the front line trenches in Europe in WWI, was gassed and almost didn't survive. My dad served in the navy and my mom in the army in WW2. My uncle was a captain on the supply ships to the UK and watched as U-boats sank some of them and he was under order to keep going even with sailors flailing and screaming in the water for help. They served in order to protect our way of life here in North America and to help other countries. Other Canadians on this forum likely have similar family stories. BTW, Canada also entered WWII 2 years ahead of the US. We are always there in full force when really needed. I could go on but better bite my tongue...

This is really getting off track but am not going to leave a comment like that alone.

X2.............

My mum, dad and 6 uncles, 2 of whom were killed, served in WW 2. I served in RCAF for 21 yrs as a pilot. memtb your comments are offensive to me , my family and every Vet and current member of our Military.