cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camper, Trailer or motorhome?

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm coming to realize I will need to upgrade soon enough.

& planned on a multi slide Truck Camper , but when even I drive in heavy wind this heavy truck camper up high on top of my pick up bed concerns me.

Seems like a lot of weight up high ( High Center of Gravity )

Yet have never seen even a picture of one flopped over in the wind?

I've seen in person a couple of tongue trailers & never a Motorhome?

Nor a 5th wheel.

Are the tongue trailer the most likely issue in high winds?

What about compared to a 5th wheel trailer?

I'm not crazy about buying a motorhome being the cost & I like the idea of disconnecting from a TC or Trailer & having my truck again.

& yet with any of these choices, my storage space comes into play.

I originally went went with a TC for it towing ability behind it with a car trailer or boat & etc..

Yet have learned to HATE taking my boat to the loading ramp at the water with my HEAVY TC on my trucks bed & it being a manual trans rig.
That whole parking brake & clutch & steep ramp angle game is no fun!

Yes my rig is 4X4 & 4x4 LOW does help but still.
Not in anyway pleasant.

I may just stop using this truck with the TC on it for any fishing trips.

Yet also realize most trailer sorta become an issue with the boat being involved.
Sure in Ca. I can tow a double if its a 5th wheel, but the I can't back up & its just become so long!
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
23 REPLIES 23

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
The Cummins zero launch feature allows one to release the clutch with no throttle input. The computer in the truck automatically adds fuel to the engine and away you go! I can take off on steep hills with my 16k fiver with no throttle input whatsoever.

I suspect your truck may not have this feature, but given the fact that your truck has the Cummins it will have plenty of low end torque. When pulling out of a boat launch, put the truck in 4x4 low as you indicate you have done, put the truck in first gear while holding your foot on the brake and slowly release the clutch until you feel it grab (will be noticeable by the engine starting to lug down slightly), slowly release the brake pedal and then fully release the clutch. This should allow the truck to start moving forward with absolutely no rollback at all. I have owned 3 diesel trucks with manual transmissions and I have found them all quite easy to take off with. The worst was my 6.0L Ford mostly because they have lousy low end torque.

I have driven manual equipped trucks for so long I honestly don't even really think about what I'm doing a lot of the time; it's branded into me!

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions fire away! :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Blanco1 wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
What year is your truck? It should have zero launch if it's somewhere around 2003 (?) forward. (somewhere around there anyway)

What is Zero Launch?

Can someone explain Zero Launch?

My is a 1997 & I'm sure I don't have this option?

Can I install it into my older truck?
With '85 Lance.

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
What year is your truck? It should have zero launch if it's somewhere around 2003 (?) forward. (somewhere around there anyway)

I had a 2001 5.9 HO/6 speed with the Bosch VP-44 and it also had the Zero Throttle Launch capability. The low end governor on the CP3 pumps is even better - so the ability to roll off the clutch with no throttle input was even more noticeable.

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
30 HP Suzuki fuel injection

I suspect mine is smaller & I only have a trolling motor for it & yet that all I need.
Your picture has motivated me, Thanks!
With '85 Lance.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
30 HP Suzuki fuel injection

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Blanco1 wrote:

I'm not crazy about buying a motorhome being the cost & I like the idea of disconnecting from a TC or Trailer & having my truck again.

I originally went went with a TC for it towing ability behind it with a car trailer or boat & etc..

Yet have learned to HATE taking my boat to the loading ramp at the water with my HEAVY TC on my trucks bed & it being a manual trans rig.

Not in anyway pleasant.

Yet also realize most trailer sorta become an issue with the boat being involved.
Sure in Ca. I can tow a double if its a 5th wheel, but the I can't back up & its just become so long!

Why not get a motorhome, you can bring a small car/truck and a boat without double towing issues or length, just have a custom built stacker for the two.

Plenty of clean used motorhomes out there

Backing up is never a issue

Nice Picture but I could do the same thing now behind my TC.

I do have an inflatable boat that you just reminded me about the I'm gonna bring out from the basement.

I was also considering a float tube? or Kyak?
Yet mine only has a trolling motor, What size is the outboard in that picture?
With '85 Lance.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Blanco1 wrote:

Not in anyway pleasant.

Why not get a motorhome, you can bring a small car/truck and a boat without double towing issues or length, just have a custom built stacker for the two.

Plenty of clean used motorhomes out there

Backing up is never a issue

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have driven my truck camper in some very stiff winds without issue. The rig did sway and wobble when hit by hurricane cross winds of about 60 mph. I pulled off the road and waited that one out.

I have never seen a truck camper blow over. I guess it is possible. I did see winds that picked up a large 5th wheel, moved it sideways about 6 feet and then dropped it on the ground. It was parked and on a stand at the time.

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

What is Zero Launch?
With '85 Lance.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
What is your truck? Maybe if you "upgrade" your truck, it might solve all your issues of wind and towing a boat.

A nice dual rear wheel 1 ton (350 - 3500) or more with automatic transmission could be perfect.

4x4 dually 3500 Dodge club cab with a 5 speed manual trans.
Its exactly what I wanted.

Its got a Dana 80 rear end

I preferred the 5 speed manual only due to seeing many friends with auto trans having the trans spit out fluid under a heavy load & do love it in all situation except for the boat ramp.

I suppose in any case where I would be needing to start up a steep ramp/grade.
With '85 Lance.

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
We have a 24 foot Class C RV and sometimes tow and launch our fishing boat with it. The launching we do should only be done on certain ramps, however.

Back at the campsite, we have all the comforts of home in our little Class C in between the fishing times. Our small Class C on it's overkill E450 Ford chassis is rock solid stable on the highways, including even in fairly high cross-winds due to it's wide rear dual tires track and having it's heavy appliances and components mounted very low down near the chassis frame.

I truly believe if my Truck had a n automatic trans vs the Manual, I'd be good at most ramps.
Its just the weight of the TC in the bed & steep ramp & clutch.

I stalled it once & lose the power brakes, can be really scary!
With '85 Lance.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
What is your truck? Maybe if you "upgrade" your truck, it might solve all your issues of wind and towing a boat.

A nice dual rear wheel 1 ton (350 - 3500) or more with automatic transmission could be perfect.

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
We have had 2 travel trailers and now a 5er. The travel trailers swayed a lot. Even with anti sway bar. Upgraded to the Reese's dual cam anti sway, it was better but still experience sway especially when semis passed.
The 5er we don't feel anything as sway.

All have some movement when windy but the 5er is the best of all 3 we have had.

Can't say anything about a motor home.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013