cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping World Memorial Day "sale"

jeffcarp
Explorer
Explorer
Today's Camping World email indicates a Memorial Day sale and shows the Garmin RV770 for $399, advertising this as $40 off the "regular" price of $439.

That device has never sold for $439 nor is that the MSRP. Garmin themselves sold that device in pre-sale for $399.

The ethics of this is disappointing.
2011 Born Free 22' Class C Rear Side Kitchen
37 REPLIES 37

Good_Sam_Care_T
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I am going to close this topic due to lack of activity. Thank you for your time and participating. Feel free to open a new thread on this topic in the future.

Thanks,
Stacy
Good Sam Care Team

jeffcarp
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be as clear as I know how to be. CW can sell the device for any price that they wish. They can sell the Garmin for $439, $399, $500 or $50. Their choice. They have no obligation to sell it for the MSRP.

The problem with what they did is a specific issue. If they are going to advertise a price as being a sale price and in this case make a specific claim of a $40 discount then the FTC requires that the product had to be sold to customers at the pre-sale price for a "substantial period of time."

In this case they advertised the $399 price as a $40 sale discount which means they are required by the FTC to have sold the device for $399 + $40 = $439 for a substantial period of time.

In fact, the device was never sold for $439. That is the entire complaint. Nothing more.

Sultan1966
Explorer
Explorer
jeffcarp wrote:
Bucky Badger wrote:
So what was the "real" sale price?

$399 was the everyday selling price on CW and also the price that they advertised as being a $40 sale for Memorial Day weekend.

Ok let's say I am confused.. You seem to have answered their question in a deceitful way, yet you accuse CW of the same thing.
2008 Monaco Dynasty Renaissance IV with Cummins 425hp ISL (Louie) with 2005 Chevrolet Silverado (Roscoe) with Golf Cart in back (Forrest Gump).
Wife, I and our two dogs are Full-Timers

jeffcarp
Explorer
Explorer
My response to the last poster does not say that the regular price is $399. Not sure who you're arguing with.

Sultan1966
Explorer
Explorer
jeffcarp wrote:
Today's Camping World email indicates a Memorial Day sale and shows the Garmin RV770 for $399, advertising this as $40 off the "regular" price of $439.

That device has never sold for $439 nor is that the MSRP. Garmin themselves sold that device in pre-sale for $399.

The ethics of this is disappointing.

If it is that disapointing why are you telling the last poster that "regular price" is $399 when your post initially states $439?
Who is showing deceit here..you or CW?
Again, MSRP is Suggested price not an automatic price one has to sell for..be an informed consumer..if you don't like price because is it not MSRP... Move on.
2008 Monaco Dynasty Renaissance IV with Cummins 425hp ISL (Louie) with 2005 Chevrolet Silverado (Roscoe) with Golf Cart in back (Forrest Gump).

jeffcarp
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:

$399 was the everyday selling price on CW and also the price that they advertised as being a $40 sale for Memorial Day weekend.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Sultan1966 wrote:
MSRP - Manuafacturers Suggested Retail Price is the loophole so CW can technically make it whatever they want and show it on sale..no lies or deceit.. buyer beware and be a smart consumer.

SUGGESTED, SUGGESTED, SUGGESTED, SUGGESTED, SUGGESTED, SUGGESTED

Sultan1966
Explorer
Explorer
MSRP - Manuafacturers Suggested Retail Price is the loophole so CW can technically make it whatever they want and show it on sale..no lies or deceit.. buyer beware and be a smart consumer.

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
Memorial Day is a day to remember the men and women who gave their life to defend this country, I think it is terrible for stores to have sales and people to think it is a holiday. I don't agree with our government going to "war" but I appreciate the sacrifice of our servicemen and women .

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, not to change the subject(slightly), I walked in CW today over in Valencia and the first thing that struck me was, "am I in the CW or a new Pet food retailer" I haven't been to an actual CW store in year's but they have numerous isles dedicated to PET items including a mass amount of pet food products.

Listen, I'm a Dog person and maybe I'm making too much of this but it did seem weird or maybe just out of place and the again, Pet item's were, are and will always be lucrative, money making items. Maybe CW is just seizing the moment??? ๐Ÿ™‚
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Jeff must be a good watcher.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jeffcarp
Explorer
Explorer
I have no idea whether this was a mistake, intentional or sloppy. Pointless to speculate. What I do know, because I've been watching this device, deciding if I want to buy it, is the price for it on Amazon, GPS City and CW. That price has been and remains $399. Whether your hypothetical, that CW may have bumped the price to $439 momentarily, is true or not doesn't matter. FTC eCFR 223.1 is very clear that to advertise something on sale it had to be available on the market for a "reasonably substantial period of time" at the price being advertised as the regular price such that the marketplace identifies that as the normal price. As someone that's been watching this device I can tell you that isn't the case.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
jeffcarp wrote:
This thread has run its course. Your arguing over claims that no one has made for the sake of arguing it seems.
Actually, you made the FTC claim. You made the claim about Marcus tweeting they were going to correct the issue and you made it sound like it was something nefarious. You stated that Garmin issued a press release regarding the MSRP and then implied the Camping World could therefore never had offered it for a higher price. People were merely retorting that just because the MSRP was $399, nothing would have stopped Camping World from making their regular retail price $439, thus making a sale price of $399.00 and a claim of a $40.00 discount a totally legitimate claim. No FTC intervention necessary.