cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

November camping Dos Picos county park

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Just got home from a great weekend camping at a local park. The days were warm and the nights were chilly in the low 50's high 40's.

As the trailer canvas is 33 years old I was instructing the kids on how to connect it to the door without ripping it. Well as you might guess the old canvas finally gave up and ripped vertically almost the entire length. Fortunately I had a roll of duct tape to at least close the gap while the kids were chiding me with comments like "Oh, is that how you do it dad?" 🙂

There was a memorable event last night when the raccoons came into camp looking for free handouts. I watched in amusement as one was drawn to the peach cobbler cooking in the dutch oven. You could almost see the gears turning in it's head as it tried to figure out how to get to that yummy smell without getting burned. Eventually I shooed it away before it got bold enough to actually touch it and get injured.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup
6 REPLIES 6

frankgibbons194
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:

That's a very nice campground. I like the picture camping setup.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can just see the kids giving you grief . lol

Raccoons are a pest around here. I've learned to not leave anything at night that smells like food or they carry it off. I've heard that sometimes they will even carry away shiny objects.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced all the canvas. While the canvas was in pretty good shape all the screened windows were deteriorated to the point where they were useless. The zippers that came with the canvas were all pretty heavy duty.

These guys know what is going on. They have a great working knowledge of the different brands and what the original canvas looks like. I would call them and you can ask any question that is on your mind. Really nice people to work with. Going the full replacement route would probably be best but it is not a requirement for sure.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Thanks Aftermath. I was thinking about contacting Bear creek about it. I was going to go the whole replacement route, but in reality the middle section and windows are really the only problems. Did you replacements have compatible zippers? My trailer has some really old school heavy duty metal zippers.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boy, that takes me back. Looks like a beautiful day.

I just replaced all the canvas on my daughter's old Starcraft. I purchased the full set through Bear Creek Canvas. They sell canvas in parts too. You might want to contact them. Describe which section you need. You don't have to replace it all. I was absolutely amazed by the quality of the canvas and how well it fit the 79 Starcraft we had.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Our greatest camping memories were from our days with the kids in our tent trailer.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"