cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing After-market Rear View Camera Issue

Hoerschel
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a Four Winds 28A from Cruise America and attempting to install a highly rated wireless rear view camera. Upon drilling into the back wall I discovered a layer of sheet metal that apparently is interfering with the wireless signal from the camera to the monitor in the cab. The manufacturer of the camera has offered to send me a booster antenna with 13' cable to install on top of the rig and closer to the monitor. However, I'm still concerned the metal layer is going to interfere. Has anyone had this experience and any recommendations? I'm trying to avoid installing a wired unit due to the extra level of work involved.
12 REPLIES 12

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hoerschel wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Hoerschel wrote:
I recently bought a Four Winds 28A from Cruise America and attempting to install a highly rated wireless rear view camera

Which camera did you buy? This may be of help to others.

I searched and researched and the most highly rated, in terms of value and features, was this one from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078PDH6Z8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the Link,It has good reviews that are backed up by Fakespot

I will definitely look into it.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Hoerschel
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Hoerschel wrote:
I recently bought a Four Winds 28A from Cruise America and attempting to install a highly rated wireless rear view camera

I searched and researched and the most highly rated, in terms of value and features, was this one from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078PDH6Z8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hoerschel wrote:

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad you got it to work well.

In case I need to install one someday, I have to write it all down otherwise I will forget what the colors mean. ๐Ÿ™‚

Someone once said to me "I have to use memory foam insoles so I can remember why I walked into the kitchen".

Hoerschel
Explorer
Explorer
Aha moment finally arrived. Wisdom received = Polarity is NOT reversed. RV lights are wired correctly. The color coding, however, is different than what I was used to: RVs white / red goes to ground; black / green goes to power. Camera powers right up. Four bars of signal strength received in the cab monitor. Works great. Still enrolled in The School of Hard Knocks where there are no graduates and no degrees because the learning never ends.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good find, thank you for the follow-up.

Hoerschel
Explorer
Explorer
While troubleshooting this problem further today, I ran a test by connecting my camera directly to the coach 12 volt battery in the rear. The camera was attached to the intended mounting bracket up top and, voila, it came to life. Better yet, I had four bars on the monitor in the cab, 30 feet away. So my problem is not due to interference with the metal sheet panel embedded in the back wall. It appears to be a polarity problem with the 12 volt wiring I tapped off from the upper marker light. A volt meter, in fact, reflected -11.7 volts when I put the negative probe on the sleeve and the positive probe on the center pin of the camera's power cable. Am in process of reversing the wires that feed the camera. Admittedly, I'm a bit confused that the LED marker lights seem to work wired the opposite way. While doing a bit more research it appears that some manufacturers make LEDs that are not polarity sensitive. So, I guess I must have those, too. It's dark now and I will have to wait until tomorrow to run the penultimate test. Stay tuned.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
pushtoy 2 wrote:
my wireless works great so far:D
Mine too.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
A tech was talking to me about the ABC's of backup cams and I didn't absorb what he was saying because I honestly didn't care.
But for this post that info might be worth looking into for someone buying or installing a system . Here is a link for the info. It might be the reason some systems work better than others.
CMOS chip vs CCD sensor .

https://camera-source.com/blog/cmos-or-ccd

pushtoy_2
Explorer
Explorer
my wireless works great so far:D
DREAMER FMCA200924
GS Life member

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Use heavy duty tape to temporarily mount the camera while you check the signal but I too believe wired is better.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was always told that metals do interfere with a wireless camera signal. Sometimes mounting the camera off to the side will work but you have to try that without drilling more holes.
I found wireless things to be a PIA in general and prefer wired products.