cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Tow/Haul mode

Hoerschel
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 30 foot 2015 Four Winds Majestic with a Ford E-450 Triton engine from Cruise America. Interestingly, Tow/Haul mode is engaged by default upon starting. The sticker on the gearshift suggests keeping it in this mode will improve fuel economy. Trouble is, the transmission is agonizingly slow to gear up, often times getting stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear and racing the engine to 4,000 screaming rpms before shifting. When it began doing it again this morning, I immediately punched out of Tow/Haul mode and the gears shifted normally without excessive RPMs. I've looked at other forums for answers but no one specifically addresses the issue of using this mode apart from actually towing something, which I'm not doing with the motor home. I'm looking for perspective here, whether this is normal, do I have a transmission problem, or am I correct to trust my instincts and only engage Tow/Haul when I feel the transmission is hunting.
13 REPLIES 13

pushtoy_2
Explorer
Explorer
Hank85713 wrote:
Tow haul usage is one of the big discussion points just like the question used to be on what oil is 'best'. Yes use it if the vehicle is struggling against the wind, going up a long hill etc, but it really does not enhance fuel econmy as it locks the transmission in the lower gears not the higher fuel efficient ones. Once again its just a big flag for discussions. My class B+ only gets it turned on to pull out of uphill starting points or when I think I need a lower gear to move on. It also gets turned on when HEADWINDS increase and make the trans search to maintain speed. Even in colorado with it turned on the engine runs out of gasa and speed will slow to 35-45 mph on pulls. Lotsa dead throttle also. One recommendation is to get a mikes 5 star tuner for the rig as it does make the engine more civilized when it shifts under load. I have been reading on the new hypertech react throttle optimizer. Havent ordered yet but plan to prior to summer travels. There is another outfit forget who which has come out with a throttle optimizer, but I do know hypertech does put out good products. As to one with key, that is not normal so yes maybe kalif had bugs put in to cause it??
i have Mikes 5 star tune in my c class we just got back from a 2500 mile pulling a 3500lb. car it worked fantastic. went through west tx, on I 10 to az. worked great i would suggest it to enyone who is having shifting issues call 5 star and have them right you a tune. kinda pricey but worth it. more power better millage. i went from 6.8 to 8.5 even got a 9 mpg on flat ground at 65 mph
DREAMER FMCA200924
GS Life member

S1njin
Explorer
Explorer
Hank85713 wrote:
Tow haul usage is one of the big discussion points just like the question used to be on what oil is 'best'. Yes use it if the vehicle is struggling against the wind, going up a long hill etc, but it really does not enhance fuel econmy as it locks the transmission in the lower gears not the higher fuel efficient ones. Once again its just a big flag for discussions. My class B+ only gets it turned on to pull out of uphill starting points or when I think I need a lower gear to move on. It also gets turned on when HEADWINDS increase and make the trans search to maintain speed. Even in colorado with it turned on the engine runs out of gasa and speed will slow to 35-45 mph on pulls. Lotsa dead throttle also. One recommendation is to get a mikes 5 star tuner for the rig as it does make the engine more civilized when it shifts under load. I have been reading on the new hypertech react throttle optimizer. Havent ordered yet but plan to prior to summer travels. There is another outfit forget who which has come out with a throttle optimizer, but I do know hypertech does put out good products. As to one with key, that is not normal so yes maybe kalif had bugs put in to cause it??

I’ve read the 5 star has less bang for the buck on the 6 speed.l
2019 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Default Tow-Haul is not factory, however there's a couple ways for fleets to change this (U-Haul does this too). Intermotive make a module to enable this as default, but it can also be done with the programming.

First step is figuring out how Cruise America did it. If it's a module, you just need to unplug it. If it's programming, a trip to the dealer for a firmware re-flash is probably the easiest.

Then, install a 5-Star tune using their programmer. This makes the transmission 100% better behaved.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2011 chassis came with the 5 speed torque shift trans which I love but would like to have the 6 speed as it is reported to be even better. Tow haul is your friend, no reason not to use it.

:C

S1njin
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
"So....I put the trans in Tow-Haul mode right away, every dang time I remember."

Ron, I occasionally forget to engage TH but my Scan Gauge quickly reminds me as the trans fluid temps begin to rise significantly on even slight grades, :S oops forgot again, a push of the button and with TH engaged they quickly fall back to the proper/normal levels.
You do have a Scan Gauge, yes?

As noted above TH especially on an E-450 should be engaged virtually all of the time due to the weight and aerodynamics {or lack thereof}. What the OP described does not sound right and the suggestion to have the dealer reflash the ECM sounds like the way to go.

I have spoken with a couple of dozen folks renting C's and not one was ever given a syllable of instruction on using TH. This tells me two things, one; most of the folks renting them are blissfully ignorant of this function and two, most rental RV are slowly but surely cooking their transmissions, caveat emptor. :E

Do you have the 6 speed or the 5 speed?

I’m wondering if TH is pretty much recommended full-time even with the newer transmission.
2019 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I wish mine came on at startup.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yes, it seems maybe CA had the trucks programmed that way to keep cousin Eddy from frying their transmissions and smoking the brakes as much as possible.
4krpm up-shifts seems high though unless it's warranted. Uphill, altitude or towing, mainly. If it's running up that high on flat ground or light acceleration, I'd be concerned as well though.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Hoerschel
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:

As noted above TH especially on an E-450 should be engaged virtually all of the time due to the weight and aerodynamics {or lack thereof}. What the OP described does not sound right and the suggestion to have the dealer reflash the ECM sounds like the way to go.

I have spoken with a couple of dozen folks renting C's and not one was ever given a syllable of instruction on using TH. This tells me two things, one; most of the folks renting them are blissfully ignorant of this function and two, most rental RV are slowly but surely cooking their transmissions, caveat emptor. :E

To be clear, my unit DEFAULTS automatically to engage T/H upon starting. CA, it seems, is doing itself and renters a favor in this regard and even reminding drivers with the sticker on the gear shift lever to keep it engaged for better fuel economy. Your points--and those repeated by others earlier--about keeping it engaged are appreciated. I failed to take into account the continuous load factor / added weight built onto the chassis. I'm getting the transmission fully serviced later this week and will definitely inquire about re-flashing the ECM. Thanks to you all who contributed to my education!

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
"So....I put the trans in Tow-Haul mode right away, every dang time I remember."

Ron, I occasionally forget to engage TH but my Scan Gauge quickly reminds me as the trans fluid temps begin to rise significantly on even slight grades, :S oops forgot again, a push of the button and with TH engaged they quickly fall back to the proper/normal levels.
You do have a Scan Gauge, yes?

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
If you disconnect both your chassis and house batteries overnight, the hard-reset might place Tow-Haul mode into "off" by default.

Make sure your trans fluid is at the proper level. If any is needed, MAKE SURE you add the right kind. Don't add just any generic trans fluid. All Ford trans require a specific trans fluid.

I would not worry about the situation because it sounds normal, especially after a cold start. Just take it out of Tow-Haul before putting the shifter in drive.

I wish our 2007 E350-V10 had your problem, Tow-Haul "on" by default. I say this because the weight of our rig with tow vehicle is in a Tow-Haul mode scenario 100% of the time, easily 15,000 pounds combined vehicle weight. Many years ago when our rig was a few years old, I called my local Ford dealer inquiring if they could program the Tow-Haul to be on by default. They said "no".

So....I put the trans in Tow-Haul mode right away, every dang time I remember.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
On my 06, the TowHaul mode is normally off, NO light on gear shift. Even if I've been using TowHaul mode and shut the ignition off, when restarted, the light and TH mode will be off. TowHaul has to be turned on manually everytime the engine is started (If you want it on). Maybe Cruise America has had them reprogrammed.
A little misnomer for the C-class, you may not be towing, but you are hauling near GVWR (14500lbs) and with the aerodynamics of a brick, even worse. I've found having the TH mode turned on does help with the transmission not hunting for gears on grades. VERY HELPFUL on downgrades with engine/transmission braking.
The first time we took the MH out, the transmission/engine went to 4000 plus rpms held until the grade leveled out. I checked with the Ford dealer and he said that it was normal operation, no worries.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Ask a Ford dealer to cause the computer that controls the transmission to reset so it can relearn civilized behavior.