cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Karaoke & Sing-along around Campfires

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
When we were tent camping, there will be several campsites with someone playing the guitar and other campers will mill around, uninvited, watching or singing along.

Now that we are into RVing, it seems protocol changed. We would hear a couple or more doing karaoke (with their karaoke systems) singing inside their RVs.

What changed? Of course, those in the tent camping are mostly young folks out to hit on someone pretty who comes along -- and I assume those in the RVs are rich old fogies. of the cranky "get off my lawn" kinds, LOL.:h
27 REPLIES 27

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
I always travel with my guitar. I'm always trying to improve my playing, which means I have to "practice" every day. When camping, I generally bring the guitar outside.

Years ago, I was playing next to a campfire at Yellowstone, in the Norris Basin campground. At a minute past 8:00PM the host came over and told me to knock it off, because it was now "quiet hours." Sheesh.

Last spring, at a campsite in Fort DeSoto Park Campground near St. Petersburg FL, the neighbor's dog howled (inside their RV) every time I was playing. Again - sheesh.

I'm a pretty good guitarist, although the evidence in these two stories would suggest otherwise.

I'm always happy when someone stops by and enjoys the music or joins in.

-Speak

I'd join in too but I can't carry a tune. but I'd stop by with a couple of cold beers as I am a good listener! :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
winniman wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
We were at a campground parked next to the Rec building. On Friday nights they had Karoke. Some of the worst singers I ever heard. I couldn't wait til it was over. There are enough bad singers that are professionals, this bunch was just awful. One of those things I will never understand.
B.O.

Posted By: Gulfcoast on 01/31/20 07:10pm
I like quiet camping.... people like different things.
* This post was edited 01/31/20 07:33pm by Gulfcoast *

I have played guitar for close to 40 years, and my ex was a professional country singer. If we were boondock camping we would jam it up. Too many people like the posts above at campgrounds to make any kind of noise, so we seldom ever did.

I hope you'll do it too in regular campgrounds. As long as you don't spill into quiet time, those who likes quiet camping has no right to complain.

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
We were at a campground parked next to the Rec building. On Friday nights they had Karoke. Some of the worst singers I ever heard. I couldn't wait til it was over. There are enough bad singers that are professionals, this bunch was just awful. One of those things I will never understand.
B.O.

Posted By: Gulfcoast on 01/31/20 07:10pm
I like quiet camping.... people like different things.
* This post was edited 01/31/20 07:33pm by Gulfcoast *

I have played guitar for close to 40 years, and my ex was a professional country singer. If we were boondock camping we would jam it up. Too many people like the posts above at campgrounds to make any kind of noise, so we seldom ever did.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Dogs are the worst critics....
:B

Mine would how on my Don McLean, bark on John Denver and cover his ears on Simon & Garfunkle.

Some day I'll hit the right note -- or singer.

Don't try Metallica....

He'll probably go completely nuts -- or suicidal. :E

On one hand, he might think it's just my wife screaming on me to take out the garbage for the nth time.

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:

Mine would how on my Don McLean, bark on John Denver and cover his ears on Simon & Garfunkle.

Don't try Metallica....
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
I always travel with my guitar. I'm always trying to improve my playing, which means I have to "practice" every day. When camping, I generally bring the guitar outside.

Years ago, I was playing next to a campfire at Yellowstone, in the Norris Basin campground. At a minute past 8:00PM the host came over and told me to knock it off, because it was now "quiet hours." Sheesh.

Last spring, at a campsite in Fort DeSoto Park Campground near St. Petersburg FL, the neighbor's dog howled (inside their RV) every time I was playing. Again - sheesh.

I'm a pretty good guitarist, although the evidence in these two stories would suggest otherwise.

-Speak

I will stop around if I see you playing. Promise, I won't bark or howl. I'll just hum along if you don't mind.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

HannahFelly
Explorer
Explorer
I don't feel like anything is lost from the experience just because this isn't a common thing anymore. There are still those who practice it and others who don't, it's normal, it's not necessarily a matter of being comfier inside, but rather for some it seems not that safe to just sit with complete strangers. And they're not to blame for this mentality, honestly.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
I've never heard anyone doing karaoke. But back when we tented there was often someone with a guitar, sometimes 2, playing and having sing alongs. Tenting is just different. You spend almost all of your time outside, even if it's raining.

With an RV you have another option. We still spend a lot of time outside. We do most of our cooking over a campfire. But also don't mind going inside if it's really cold out and watching a movie.

Yeah, there seems to be more of the guitar singing around the campfire on tent sites.

Hear a few inside their RVs and some so good I wish they go out so we can gawk, lol.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
My favorite campground sing along occurred many years ago at a Connecticut State Park campground. One Friday afternoon, a local RV dealer hauled a high end bumper pull TT in and set it up on a site near the community fire ring. We didn't see anyone come in to occupy it, but late at night there were lights on and there was luxury rental car parked by it in the morning. Right after dinner time on Saturday, the park folks lit up the large central fire as usual and a few folks brought over lawn chairs to sit and chat. The next thing we knew, a couple came from the new TT and sat down with an acoustic guitar. After strumming a few notes the fellow began to sing, and it didn't take long for us to figure out that he didn't just kind of look like John Denver, it was in fact John Denver along with his then wife Annie! It wasn't long before practically everyone in the park was joining in singing along. Quiet time came and went without a single complaint that I heard about. We finally broke up about midnight, and early the next morning they were gone and the dealer was packing up the TT. I have some pictures taken well before digital cameras, but they're not among the ones I've scanned yet...

Wow, just wow!!!:C:C:C

That's the ultimate in sing-a-along and certainly a experience of a lifetime.

You are so lucky and it can only happen to very few others.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I've never heard anyone doing karaoke. But back when we tented there was often someone with a guitar, sometimes 2, playing and having sing alongs. Tenting is just different. You spend almost all of your time outside, even if it's raining.

With an RV you have another option. We still spend a lot of time outside. We do most of our cooking over a campfire. But also don't mind going inside if it's really cold out and watching a movie.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite campground sing along occurred many years ago at a Connecticut State Park campground. One Friday afternoon, a local RV dealer hauled a high end bumper pull TT in and set it up on a site near the community fire ring. We didn't see anyone come in to occupy it, but late at night there were lights on and there was luxury rental car parked by it in the morning. Right after dinner time on Saturday, the park folks lit up the large central fire as usual and a few folks brought over lawn chairs to sit and chat. The next thing we knew, a couple came from the new TT and sat down with an acoustic guitar. After strumming a few notes the fellow began to sing, and it didn't take long for us to figure out that he didn't just kind of look like John Denver, it was in fact John Denver along with his then wife Annie! It wasn't long before practically everyone in the park was joining in singing along. Quiet time came and went without a single complaint that I heard about. We finally broke up about midnight, and early the next morning they were gone and the dealer was packing up the TT. I have some pictures taken well before digital cameras, but they're not among the ones I've scanned yet...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate