Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Overnight Parking

SafetyFuse01
Explorer II
Explorer II
WALMART Trainyards.
$ 80.00 parking ticket from bylaw.
RV’ers be aware that the Walmart at Trainyards 450 Terminal Ave., Ottawa, ON K1G 0Z3, is no longer welcoming RV and Travel Trailers. They will allow you one night only.
I brought my travel trailer, and went to the customer service counter, provided my name, phone number and trailer license number and told them I would be there until next Sunday. I was told okay, no problem.
Today I got to the trailer and found a parking ticket on the trailer.
Walmart did not bother to call me, or leave a note on the trailer, but called bylaw to issue a ticket.
When I checked with customer service, the staff had no clue why I was given the ticket. The assistant manager said he would check with the general manager.
I got a call back from the assistant and was informed that they would only allow one night parking.
Asking why they would not inform us or call , he did not know. Why are the employees not informed on the new parking policy for campers.
When I was at customer service I was accompanied by an another RV’er who was told on the phone that there was no problem parking.

12 REPLIES 12

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

hah this is gold, its about time walmart did that, the intention of a walmart isn't storage or camping, its to pull into lait while travleing grab some sleep then leave early.  so I do use a walmart in Alberta all the time when I do the big trip to my parents, I'll leave my place after supper, drive till 10 or 11 at night, pull into my favorite walmart, then I am on the road before 8am the next morning, I don't unhook or put out slides (I can understand slides if you have to put them out to use the bathroom or what not) but I just shake my head when I see people unhooked, awning out, lawnchairs and bbqing at 4 in the afternoon.  its no wonder campgrounds have been pushing for more bylaws and restrictions on parking lot campers.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II

Anybody know how to unsubscribe from this or any other topic?

2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

“Options” button, top of the page on the right side of the header.

Thanks.

SafetyFuse01
Explorer II
Explorer II

A little clarification, I store my trailer some distance from home and brought it to Wallmart for a few days to allow me to get it ready for the season. This perticular Walmart was allowing long term trailers in the pass.

The issue is that I whent in and gave my contact info at the customer counter with my name an phone number, trailer licence plate as well. and informed then of my leaving on Sunday. The staff were not aware of the general manager's new policy. If they had put a note on the trailer or called me to inform me then I would of complied.

My issue is the $ 80.00 ticket, that required the store manager to call bylaw to issue the ticket as it is on Walmart property not city property.

Also interestingly by the way, it seems that the new policy is selective as there are at least two trailers that were there when I was there and they are still there several days after I got the ticket, and moved the trailer out.

Why would you even think it was wise to leave an unattended trailer at a Walmart for a week. You lucky it wasn't towed away, or stolen. Pay the $80, you got off cheap.

$80 for a weeks storage seems pretty reasonable.

If you read any of the threads on wally-docking, it often repeated, it's to crash for the night not for long term. This "privilege" (not a right) has been taken away in many areas where it has been abused. Based on your discussion of past history, sounds like people are abusing this location. 

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

Not my cup-o-tea but I can understand getting from point A to point B, crashing for a night at Walmart.

Spending a weeks vacation at Walmart...that's just abusing their generosity and seems really unpleasant. 

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad

Why would you need more than 1 night? It’s supposed to be a stopover to get a few hours sleep while you’re traveling to some destination. It’s not intended to be the “destination”. I think you have the wrong concept of what the Walmart “OVERNIGHT” policy is intended for.

First, a question for the OP. What is "bylaw"? Is that a Canadian thing?

Second, for bid_time, the OP wasn't complaining about the policy, but rather that the policy wasn't communicated to him. So the OP doesn't have the "wrong concept".

The OP was intending to park the trailer on the lot, unattached to and unaccompanied by any vehicle, for some number of days, while he went home to sleep in his sticks and bricks. Yes, I do believe he has the wrong concept of what Walmart intends “overnight” parking to mean. I don’t believe Walmart ever intended for their parking lot to be used for long term (or short term) storage. YOMV

Yep, did the staff realize he was storing the trailer long term unhooked while not being present when they didn't object.  It's not the staff's job to chase you down when taking advantage of the privilege. 

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'