cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 week road trip from MI - What to see - what to skip

ryandykhouse
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a 2 week RV trip (class C) out west in early August. Traveling with 2 adults and 4 kids ages 15, 13, 9 and 6.

The two must see's on our list are Yellowstone and Grand Canyon.

Any input? Not afraid of driving. I don't want to be traveling every day but I know I'll also be anxious and feel like there's way too much to see to be in the same place for 3 days.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan
18 REPLIES 18

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
We did the Devil's Tower on our trip. And yes, it did take a long time to get there. Fortunately, we were not time-limited. While we were glad we went, but if we were time-limited, I don't think we would have done it.

Nice campground inside the park itself, though. Very peaceful, well kept and a great view of the tower as you sit by your campfire. We opted for the in-park campground rather than the KOA just outside the park. The KOA looked fair and we stopped in to check it out on our way out, but we bought coffee from them and I can say it was the worst coffee I have ever tasted. Two sips and we threw ours away. And I've been known to drink some real swill when it comes to coffee.

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
A visit to Devils Tower is worth it but would take at least a half a day. If it's of interest then do it. Don't know if he's pulling a toad or not. If so, after waiting to get into the park, he has to drop the RV and drive the toad the rest of the way up. Then go back and get the RV. We did enjoy our visit there. Just trying to streamline his trip so he has plenty of time to see Yellowstone and the Tetons.

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Hank MI wrote:
...Skip Devil's Tower, too far out of the way for your time limits...
It may not be of interest to some, but a side trip to Devil's Tower from I-90 at Sundance back to I-90 at Moorcroft only adds about 30 miles to the straight through distance on I-90. It is East of the US-16 exit at Buffalo which is a popular and scenic route through the Bighorns used by many to enter Yellowstone through Cody or Grand Teton at Moran Junction.

ryandykhouse wrote:
...Leaning towards Black Hills on the way west, Yellowstone / Grand Teton as our primary destination. Possibly drop down with a scenic route through CO on the return...
Colorado definitely has a lot of great places to visit and things to see. Going South from I-80 to I-70 at Grand Junction and then I-70/76 back to US-80 is about 270 Miles farther than the straight through from Rock Springs on I-80. In my thinking, Colorado would be more on the way from Michigan to the Grand Canyon than as a side trip to Yellowstone. All depends on how much you want to drive and what you want to stop and see along the way.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Be optimistic about your future: assume that you will get another shot! 😉

That many miles would force you to do nothing but drive for 9 solid days out of, what, 14? You would be driving past some of the best memories they could have, of time spent relaxing and enjoying quiet times around the campfire, hiking the trails, seeing the critters that pop out of the grass 10 feet away, seeing the stars, etc. Plus they might go stir-crazy in the vehicle, and start driving YOU crazy.

Don't get me wrong... I have traveled like that myself, alone. But I had no one to please but me. And I've learned since then that moving fast and touching just the edges of the highlights is not much (if any) better than slowing down, lingering, and savoring. The fast jaunts gave me enough overview of places that I now know what I like and what I might expect as I pick an area and explore it in greater depth.

I agree with Hank, Custer SP and Rushmore area is great. The national forest campgrounds north of Rushmore are pretty nice, in the evergreens. Drive through Deadwood, and see if you can resist stopping to explore this (admittedly touristy) western-style town.

Look up info on Thermopolis WY. Interesting hot springs to soak in, and see the colorful mineral deposits. Take time to drive the Beartooth Hwy just north of Yellowstone NP. Linger a while in the Tetons, where you can ride the Snake River (smooth sections or white water), hike around Jenny Lake, and enjoy the view of mountains that seem to rise up close by from the flatlands.

Still have time and a desire to move? Head down to Green River and see Flaming Gorge. Farther south is Dinosaur Natl Monument. Then near Grand Junction, don't miss the drive through Colorado Natl Monument. But on the other hand, if you find plenty of enjoyment with S. Dakota and Wyoming, on the way back you can stop near Laramie at Vedauwoo and climb around the rocks for a couple of hours.

Hey look, the Grand Canyon is just a big hole in the ground, right? 😉 Just keep telling yourself that, until it's time for the next trip. 😄
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
ryandykhouse wrote:
Well, I asked for advice and I got it.:)

I'm viewing this as our one shot to see it all and maybe that shouldn't be our end goal.

Leaning towards Black Hills on the way west, Yellowstone / Grand Teton as our primary destination. Possibly drop down with a scenic route through CO on the return.

You can spend a week just in the Black Hills and area. So hit the high lights. Mt Rushmore, maybe Custer State Park, it's right there. Skip Devil's Tower, too far out of the way for your time limits. Then head to Yellowstone. You can spend a week there too. The Grand Tetons are beautiful, maybe take a drive south out of Yellowstone, the Tetons are pretty much right there. Use a trip planner and figure out mileage. So you know how far you'll travel each day. Then you figure out what you want to see when not driving from place to place.

Forget about this one shot to see it all. This country is huge and there is just too much to see. Pick what you want to see given your time limit for this trip. Then maybe plan you next one.

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, by trying to "see it all" you will see very little of it, and enjoy it less.
Sounds like your more recent agenda is a better choice.

ryandykhouse
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I asked for advice and I got it.:)

I'm viewing this as our one shot to see it all and maybe that shouldn't be our end goal.

Leaning towards Black Hills on the way west, Yellowstone / Grand Teton as our primary destination. Possibly drop down with a scenic route through CO on the return.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I agree with much of what has been said. No one is "telling you what to do." I surely am not, but you could make a nice visit to Yellowstone and Grand Teton in that time frame. I would suggest spending most of the time in Yellowstone, but maybe a short move down to Grand Teton for a day or two.

And on the way from Michigan (over 1500 miles) you could swing up by the Black Hills in South Dakota which would not be far off your route. So Black Hills, Yellowstone, Grand Teton sounds like a good focus.

It would add three travel days just to go down to the Grand Canyon. Yes, it could be done in two very long days (for me at least), and that does not allow any time to visit any other attractions along the way.

I think you are going to have a good trip, with or without the advice of us old travelers.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Ryan,

You need to break out the trip planning software. From Lansing (just as a reference):
Yellowstone is 1600mi
Grand Canyon is 2000mi
Between is 900mi

With a coach full of kids, even team driving, 400 miles is a very long day. 500 mile days are a study in survival. Even if you allow the kids nature stops underway (not advised), just food (even when onboard) and fuel stops will cut you down to an average speed of close to 50MPH.

Yes, first time we went to Yellowstone, we did it in 5 days. We later discovered how much we had driven right past. The second time we took 9 days and had a much better time.

If you want the kids to remember the vacation as fun, don't make it a Bonzia run. There is a lot to see in both the northern tier and along the southern route (like Rt66).

You don't even have to look very hard to find interesting things along that much road.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
For just two weeks I'd skip the West and, instead, go east to Ohio and spend a couple/three days at Cedar Point the roller coaster capital of the world.
For the other states in the Midwest do Google searches for `_______ tourism' and put the state or city in the blank space and take your pick.

Ummmmm...I don't think the OP was asking what YOU wanted to do (ride rollercoasters and visit the midwest), they are planning to take the family to Yellowstone and/or Grand Canyon NPs, and were looking for suggestions for THOSE areas. Sheesh!

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Teton NP. The Grand Canyon is too far in the other direction. Don't forget that Yellowstone has it own Grand Canyon of Yellowstone.
With just 2 weeks to travel and visit, the Tetons and Yellowstone will take all of that time. Have fun.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For just two weeks I'd skip the West and, instead, go east to Ohio and spend a couple/three days at Cedar Point the roller coaster capital of the world.
For the other states in the Midwest do Google searches for `_______ tourism' and put the state or city in the blank space and take your pick.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
Hank MI wrote:
Can't see you doing Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon in one trip. Unless you want to drive non-stop and not see anything. You're looking a days of driving just to get to one or the other then the same to return. Now if you plan on driving around the clock to get there well maybe.

I probably don't drive as many miles a day as you will but last summer we drove from MI to the Black Hills. Then to Yellowstone and back home. A little over 3 weeks and we could have used more time. We saw a lot but there were things we didn't see. Honestly, as everyone else said, pick one or the other. There's enough to see and do and you won't have to spend the whole time driving. Try to cram in too much and it's no longer a vacation. It becomes a chore, rushing from one place to the other with no time to enjoy any of it.

X2 on the above.
You will be driving constantly. With only two weeks to visit BOTH places, your options to see anything are going to be very limited. Drive a lot and not stop to see hardly anything on the way out and back. Once you get to Yellowstone, you'll only have enough time to drive to the major attractions and spend little time at each one (Yellowstone is a HUGE place). Then drive to Grand Canyon and peek over the edge and then head for home.

People can suggest lots of great places for your family to visit, but you won't have time to really see or experience any of them if you keep to your 2-destination and 2 week schedule. How are those 2 teenagers and 2 tweeners going to feel sitting in the RV constantly? My suggestion: Pick only one destination and then enjoy it and those things in the immediate vicinity. For sheer variety, I would suggest Yellowstone, because then you can also hit Black Hills on the way there, Cody, Grand Tetons and Jackson (if you are an active family, lots of activities the teenagers may like around Jackson).

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
Can't see you doing Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon in one trip. Unless you want to drive non-stop and not see anything. You're looking a days of driving just to get to one or the other then the same to return. Now if you plan on driving around the clock to get there well maybe.

I probably don't drive as many miles a day as you will but last summer we drove from MI to the Black Hills. Then to Yellowstone and back home. A little over 3 weeks and we could have used more time. We saw a lot but there were things we didn't see. Honestly, as everyone else said, pick one or the other. There's enough to see and do and you won't have to spend the whole time driving. Try to cram in too much and it's no longer a vacation. It becomes a chore, rushing from one place to the other with no time to enjoy any of it.