cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 Milepost is available

BigRigRVing
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Milepost is available for those of you that have yet to pick up your copy to finalize your 2013 trip.

Please everyone have a safe trip up this summer, take your time, and have fun!
Gary & Cheryl and our chocolate lab named Caddy
2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 4304 w/ Blue-Ox Sports Lift
2006 Jeep Rubicon
HD 2006 Softtail Deluxe
www.BigRigRVing.com
17 REPLIES 17

RV_RS
Explorer
Explorer
Received our 2013 MP last week. Amazon.com for $18.95.
Leaving next week and will be pulling out of Forest City, IA for a 17 day drive to Anchorage. Hoping for good weather, prepared for all. Can't wait to see the beautiful scenery, meet new friends, and make lasting memories.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
some of the pullouts are large, some barely enough for a motorhome and another vehicle.

We tend to not like feeling the RV rock&roll as the semi-trucks barrel on by through the night. As Joe mentioned, you'll also have others pulling in, pulling out, idling, maybe poking around.

If we're boondocking, we get as far off the highway as possible. If an area doesn't have signage indicating no overnight parking, then it is fine to set up camp. Most of the pullouts near a community have these signs though.

Do be sure you aren't on a driveway to someone's cabin though. A few times we've had problems getting out or in because of tents or RVs on the driveway. Have had to wake RVers up to move so we can get to town early in the morning. Just because it is a long driveway in the middle of nowhere and looks rustic doesn't mean someone doesn't live at the end of the road!
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
You are most welcome, Ken. We tend to use the Provincial and Territorial Parks when possible. The three parks on the Cassiar Highway, Meziadin Lake, Kinaskin Lake and Boya Lake are three of the most beautiful spots to camp in North America, in my opinion. In Yukon, Cogdon Creek, Marsh Lake are great spots for the night to camp. Free fire wood in the Yukon Parks as well. Generally no hookups but that is not a worry to most of us with our self contained rigs.

Even if a person is using one of the many impromptu spots, you will normally still be in sight of the highway but away from the noise and moving vehicles. Tetsa River Regional Park is also a favorite of ours, just south of Liard Hot springs a couple of hours drive. Then Liard Hot Springs is primo as well.

Every two or three days we will stop at a commercial campground to take a nice hot shower, dump the tanks, use the WiFi if needed and available. Another thing about the highway pull offs is with the neighborliness of northern travelers, you may have folks stopping to see if you are having problems.

On some of the impromptu sites, I will park along the road and walk in to check it out, just to make sure I can turn around and it isn't muddy, etc. There is so little private land along the Alaska Hwy that it isn't a problem. I believe it was last year that Sue T. and I were kibitzing about road house for sale, that advertised it had 45 acres, the largest private land holding on the highway. Most all the land is Crown Land, just like in the US mountain west, belonging to the federal government. For the most part, if a spot is not marked as "no overnight" or gated off, it is OK to use for the night.

Don't know if you are planning to use the Cassiar Hwy up or back but Boya Lake Provincial Park is worth a stay. The campground host sells fire wood at the park.

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

KPSmithSr
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, joe.b. I have seen some places in the MP where it says the road leads to a pond or lake or something. I will drive while the DW keeps track of our progress in the MP.
Ken and Sue Smith
'15 Silverado 3500 LT, DRW, D/A, Ice Silver
2007 Carriage Cameo 35KS3
2016 Coleman 235QB - Lantern

Indecision is the Key to Flexibility

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Many of the pull outs are very noisy all night, with the heavy truck traffic coming and going. You might find a Kenworth idling four feet away from your bed for several hours, while the driver gets some sleep. Many of the pull outs also have out houses with people pulling in to use at all hours of the day and night.

I have a personal "5 mile" rule that I don't use any boondock spot within 5 miles of a community. Too often these are used as a turn around spot for the local teenagers, out cruising the roads. Mischief makers are no different in the north than anywhere else from what I have seen.

You might find yourself blocked in, when you decide to leave the next morning, but that will only be for a few hours, most likely.

There are usually plenty of impromptu camping areas along the creeks, rivers, lakes, unused gravel pits, etc. Highway pull outs would be my choice only in a case of desperation, i.e. vehicle troubles, health issues, etc. But I tend to see many RVs pulled into the pull offs and set up for the night in late afternoon.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

KPSmithSr
Explorer
Explorer
Sue.t, I would ask this question of you, but others are welcome to chime in. As I read my new Milepost and see all the "pull outs", are these pull outs ok for spending the night? The description on some of these locations talk about scenery that sounds great. I can't imagine much better than to sit outside and stare at the mountains for a while. Well maybe it would be just as nice to wake up and open the 5'er door to see them. Departing in 6 weeks!!!
Ken and Sue Smith
'15 Silverado 3500 LT, DRW, D/A, Ice Silver
2007 Carriage Cameo 35KS3
2016 Coleman 235QB - Lantern

Indecision is the Key to Flexibility

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
LYNNCCRN wrote:
I have a 2012 that I've been reading. Do I really need to buy the 2013? We're going for a couple months this summer.

There will be some minor changes but I only update about every 3-4 years.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Whether to buy a new Milepost, or not, depends on what you need from it, I guess. If you want the latest ads and most up-to-date info available on the advertisers, then the new edition would be of value.

If, instead, you're mostly interested in the landmarks, geographic references, historical information, road features, etc. then an older Milepost is fine. The roads don't change a lot year-to-year.

With the advertisers and businesses along the way, these change. If you have the newest Milepost then it is most likely the advertisers are open that year. Although sometimes a building fire or other tragic event affects their plans.

Other businesses come & go. Sometimes they open, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they're open intially but then close because the season isn't going so well and another opportunity comes along.

We use the Milepost for landmarks and road features and not the advertising so an old Milepost serves the purpose. I bought a new one this year because my 2008 edition is in the fifth wheel and I wanted another edition for the truck camper.

My laptop also now has the 2013 edition in pdf, downloaded from the Milepost website. When we're livetracking our position with the GPS on the laptop, it is handy also having the Milepost open on the screen for more info on sideroads, pullouts, fishing spots, etc. This is likely more info than the majority want to know as they deadhead for Alaska, but for us we like meandering and exploring and knowing as much as possible about the land we're traversing.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

LYNNCCRN
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 that I've been reading. Do I really need to buy the 2013? We're going for a couple months this summer.
:D[purple][/purple]

fancyfree
Explorer
Explorer
thanks Sue
Footloose&FancyFree
members of
SASS,Good Sam,Blacksmith,
too many to mention

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
We are often travelling with a 3-5 year old Milepost. Just know that some things that were open then, will be closed now. And some that were closed might be open. Even with the most up-to-date Milepost, things close or open between their review and publish date.

I use it mostly for knowing where pullouts are, or good fishing spots, or landmarks. Rarely use it for the businesses because we're familiar enough with their locations and have our favourite routine stops.
sue t.

fancyfree
Explorer
Explorer
quick question.
How much does Milepost change in a couple of years.
I have one from 09, do I really NEED a new one?
Thanks for the info in advance.
Footloose&FancyFree
members of
SASS,Good Sam,Blacksmith,
too many to mention

BigRigRVing
Explorer
Explorer
Got mine today
Gary & Cheryl and our chocolate lab named Caddy
2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 4304 w/ Blue-Ox Sports Lift
2006 Jeep Rubicon