Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Route Between Baton Rouge, LA and Columbus, OH

BorderScot
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum and thought it would be wise to get some advise from those experienced on the roads. I'm getting ready to haul my 5th wheel from the Baton Rouge area, up to the West Virginia Pan Handle. I'd like to visit the Smokey Mountains, but I'm assuming that direction isn't the best to drive, concerning time and practicality (less highway shoulder space, windy roads, etc). When I google the route, it seems best to head straight up through Mississippi to Memphis. (I am limited in time, but would also like to make the most of this experience. Hauling a 37' 5th wheel- long bed crew cab).

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
55 to 20, 20 east to Birmingham, pick up 59 into Chattanooga then 75 to 40 in Knoxville, 40 east to 81, 81 to 77 and cruise on into West Virginia. Been that way a couple times and there is no problem with the roads. Would be quicker than going to Memphis.

mx727
Explorer
Explorer
I-40 to Nashville, I-65 to Louisville and I-70 to Columbus. All easy roads. Sure, trucks use them, but if you can't share the freeway with a truck... It's the cars that cause the real problems.
2017 Montana 3950BR

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
We go to Columbus several times a year to see the kids. We like starting on I59 from Slidell. 55 is an ok route until you get to Memphis. The road in west Memphis is
HORRIBLE. It's so rough I find it dangerous, let alone beating your rig to death. It's also very washboardy south of mccomb, but it's also worth a stopover at Percy Quinn to go to the Dinner Bell. Mileage wise, 55, 59 and 65 are almost the same. Happy travels!

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
When you're pulling anything that's what is called a combination vehicle, and when you do so on I 40 you're competing with many others much larger than yours . I 40 is awash in big truck traffic 24/7/365, one of the more dangerous highways in the country. If you use I 55 do it to Caruthersville Mo, then I 155 to the Kentucky Pkwy system. That would include the Purchase Pkwy , I 24, Western Kentucky Pkwy to E-Town (Elizabethtown ) I 65 to Louisville then I 71 to Cincinnati and to Columbus . Much less heavy traffic .

MC9
Explorer
Explorer
Natchez Trace.

BorderScot
Explorer
Explorer
And hello memtb- I appreciate it. Wyoming is such a contrast from Baton Rouge area- I was just in Cheyenne, got back last night- I like Wyoming!

BorderScot
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the advice- that park sounds like a perfect spot along the way- it's appreciated!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Roads and Routes forum from 5th wheels.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
BorderScot, I'm not offering a suggested route. Just a hello, from someone that grew up in Zachary. Enjoy your trip and Happy Trails, memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
I-55 north to Memphis. We like Tom Sawyer's Mississippi River RV Park on the MS River in West Memphis. Then take I-40 east to Sevierville TN. We like River Plantation RV Park. You can drive through the Smoky Mountains Park from there (not pulling the RV). Then go west on I-40 to I-75 north to Columbus OH.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi