Best route from Hollister, Ca north to Santa Rosa, Ca

DandM-AG
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

Looks like the 2 best routes for this trip are:

1) 101>880>580>101

2) 101>280>CA1>through Golden Gate Park>across the GG Bridge

The negative to option 1 is that we have to pay the big toll crossing the 580 bridge.

The negative to option 2 is driving through San Francisco on CA 1 and driving through the MacArthur tunnel (not sure what the vertical clearance is). Also, not sure how easy it will be to cross the GG Bridge.

Any thoughts on which route is better would be much appreciated.

Our rig is a Ram 3500 dually pulling a 40' fifth wheel (with a vertical clearance of 13' 2"

Thanks, Mark
7 REPLIES 7

DandM-AG
Explorer
Explorer
Great input, I really appreciate all of your thoughts. I think I will take the East Bay Interstate route.

Thanks Again,
Mark

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
djgarcia wrote:
Travelon wrote:
Option 1, your rig is too big to haul through town, pay the toll. Been there, Done that.

Our 5er is 37'.

Travelon

X1, Going through SF would be a night mare especially when you have other options.

I have done it once and yes it is doable but in opinion for the typical RVers who has not taken that route and unfamiliar of what to expect, it would not be my choice. IMHO

19th. Ave is not too bad. Many have attempted to follow 101 through the city. That is a BIG mistake.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
Travelon wrote:
Option 1, your rig is too big to haul through town, pay the toll. Been there, Done that.

Our 5er is 37'.

Travelon

X1, Going through SF would be a night mare especially when you have other options.

I have done it once and yes it is doable but in opinion for the typical RVers who has not taken that route and unfamiliar of what to expect, it would not be my choice. IMHO

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
Northbound, go through SF on 19th Ave to the GG bridge. The buses and trucks do it every day. The lights on 19th ave are timed so if you can get "in sync" you might have to stop only a couple of times.

If going south, use 580 and the east bay route.

I've done this many times with trailers and motorhomes pulling a toad.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

Cordelia
Explorer
Explorer
The tunnel is not a problem as Trucks and tour buses do it all the time, don't use the curb lane! Depending on time of day 880/580 can be a traffic nightmare. I would also look at 680 to 80 to 37 to 101 this will bypass most the bay area commute traffic and the bay bridge maze. Note 37 has been flooded and closed due to our liquid sunshine we have been having. Check with Caltrans if your are doing this soon.
Gordon
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD L/B E/C D/A 4x4
2003 Eagle Cap 950 Loaded

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Travelon wrote:

Our 5er is 37'.

Travelon

X1, Going through SF would be a night mare expecially when you have other options.

Travelon
Explorer
Explorer

Our 5er is 37'.

Travelon
2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC LB 4x4, Timbrens, Fold-a-Cover,
Line-X, DeeZee Running Boards, Prodigy, Husky 16K UBS,
2004 Titanium 32E37DS, Two Honda EU2000i