cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Estes Park Colorado

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be coming in on 70 WB so I'm good all the way to Denver but after that I need some help. What's the best way to get a 40ft fifth wheel up there?
12 REPLIES 12

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all!

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heisenberg wrote:
Mary's Lake Road will not give you any problems. In my opinion it is the best route to Elk meadows. However I use Peak View Drive to get to Mary's Lake off of 7 also known as St Vrain Ave in town. Large RV's use the St Mary's campground so this route is really good. Downtown is narrow and crowded.

I also use this route, or as OP mentioned in the previous post, CO 7 and turning on to Mary's Lake Road. Only thing to be aware of is a rather steep hill dropping down to Moraine Ave, but gearing down helps keep it under control.

If OP chooses to take CO 7, just be aware that the road is rough from approximately the Boulder/Larimer line, down in to Estes Park. It also narrows, with no shoulder just prior to the long decline in to Estes Park. It's about 7-8 miles of rough road.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Mary's Lake Road will not give you any problems. In my opinion it is the best route to Elk meadows. However I use Peak View Drive to get to Mary's Lake off of 7 also known as St Vrain Ave in town. Large RV's use the St Mary's campground so this route is really good. Downtown is narrow and crowded.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
What are your thought on heading south down Rt 7 until it hits Mary's Lake Rd and taking that on in? Are there any height issues in town? I'm 13'4".

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help! The downtown area is what I was concerned about . From looking at it on Google maps it looked tight!

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rangerman40 wrote:
Thom02099 wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
Easy, take I25 North to exit 243 where you will take CO 66 west which will skirt northern Longmont and after a few miles merge with US 36 on through Lyons then Estes Park.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

OP, you don't indicate when. This is the best route, and until Memorial Day weekend, 1 of only 2 ways to get in to Estes Park from the east (the other being via CO 7). US 34, which is the other major route to Estes Park, is closed for construction until Memorial Day weekend.

With a 40 footer, where are you planning to go once you get there? Getting around in town is not an easy task, especially on the weekends. What's your destination?

We will be leaving Ohio on Friday May 25 and arriving in Estes Park on Sunday the 27th. We are staying at Elk Meadow Rv Resort.

You're coming in on Memorial Day Weekend, which are some of the busiest days in Estes Park, as it marks the beginning of the season, and Trail Ridge Road opening. A suggestion to get to Elk Meadows:

US 36 is N St Vrain Ave in Estes. It intersects with US 34/E Elkhorn Ave. When you make the left there, make sure to be in the LEFT lane heading toward downtown. At Bond Park, there is a traffic light for Riverside Ave. Make a left there, on to Riverside. It literally parallels the river and is a bit narrow, but not near as congested as downtown. And Riverside Ave bypasses all of the downtown. You'll go past the aerial tramway, and a stop sign/4 way intersection, but just stay forward on Riverside (or East Riverside in places). It goes through a residential area, and past Manor RV Park (lots of folks use this way to get to Manor). Past Manor and around a curve, you'll intersect with Mary's Lake Rd. Make a right and go to the light just a couple blocks away. Make a left and you'll be on Moraine Ave, which takes you to Elk Meadows. Look for the signs for CO 66; the entrance to the RV park is past the Rams Horn Village Resort.

Going through downtown is not fun, and can be a real challenge. It's crazy busy with pedestrians everywhere, and you have to make a left turn at the busiest intersection in town. I have trouble with it with my Tahoe and 25ft trailer, just because it's so congested. IF you have to go this way, make sure you are in the RIGHT lane to make this turn from Elkhorn on to Moraine. And watch for peds on the right corner, and other vehicles in the left lane (double lane turn).

Will also be up there that weekend, but staying at Glacier Basin in Rocky.

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
Easy, take I25 North to exit 243 where you will take CO 66 west which will skirt northern Longmont and after a few miles merge with US 36 on through Lyons then Estes Park.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

OP, you don't indicate when. This is the best route, and until Memorial Day weekend, 1 of only 2 ways to get in to Estes Park from the east (the other being via CO 7). US 34, which is the other major route to Estes Park, is closed for construction until Memorial Day weekend.

With a 40 footer, where are you planning to go once you get there? Getting around in town is not an easy task, especially on the weekends. What's your destination?

We will be leaving Ohio on Friday May 25 and arriving in Estes Park on Sunday the 27th. We are staying at Elk Meadow Rv Resort.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
X3
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
Heisenberg wrote:

X2 - I agree

Best route to avoid traffic.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heisenberg wrote:

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Rangerman40 wrote:
I'll be coming in on 70 WB so I'm good all the way to Denver but after that I need some help. What's the best way to get a 40ft fifth wheel up there?

Your BEST and MY BEST will likely be very different, so if the mission is to "Just Get There" - I'd think about trying to avoid Denver - something like THIS
- You will see I put you on RT 36 across the fly over states - good road less traffic and IMHO just Better. (Get to Hannibal to start)

But for me - I will never drive the 1,700 miles to Colorado and not spend every minute possible - Seeing - Being in - Exploring the state - so you might look at this option -- Peak to Peak to Estes Park Might be in the mountains and through the Canyons but That's why I drive all the way to Colorado (along with 4 Granddaughters;-) )

Some might say option 1 but others will say option two - and I always see 5th wheels and other MotorHomes when I drive it so.......

Your best is.........?

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado