cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gold Camp Rd, CO.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
How is this one in early October? Watch the weather. It is Colorado & mountains. I know that. Not the first trip to CO at that time of year.

Wondering the type of road? From Google & Bing maps it appears to be gravel. Is it? As long as it is not a 4WD rated road I am happy.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995
8 REPLIES 8

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II
From Cripple Creek to Canon City, Shelf Road is even more interesting than Phantom Canyon, but it's really narrow, as in one lane narrow so you may have to back up in places if there are oncoming traffic.
2017 Starcraft AR-ONE MAXX 20BHLE
2012 Suburban 2500 LT 4WD

2milesup
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:
fanrgs wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
Fanrgs, any road good enough for a MG is plenty good enough for my TV.
Just to clarify, we took the MGs on the paved High Park Road, not on the gravel Gold Camp Road. We try to stay on paved roads when driving top down to reduce caravan dust for those unfortunates bringing up the rear!

As for being near a mechanic, anyone with a car that old is his own mechanic. Plus we travel with tools, extra parts, cell phones, and, when we are not near a cell tower, 2-way radios in the first and last cars. The club trip last fall covered 1,200 miles in Colorado and New Mexico, which doesn't include the 50 miles traveled through the gold aspen-covered hills by "train" (Galloping Goose #5) on the C&TS Railroad.

Reminds me of a joke from a British car website:
Q: Why haven't the British developed a computer industry?
A: They can't figure out how to get a computer to leak oil.
:W
Jerry & Lori
2011 Chevy 1500 5.3L Z71 4X4
2015 Lance 2285
Andersen Sway Control, Prodigy, Honda EU2000i, empty wallet

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
We generally get a number of Minxes, MG Magnettes, Morris Minors, and original Minis at our annual September British Car Conclave in Denver. And two of our Triumph Club members have small Herald convertibles.

Interestingly, the oldest English cars I have seen on the highway were 25 Roll Royce Silver Ghosts in Chama last fall at the same time our MG club was there. One very trusting owner even let me drive his 3-speed, 7-liter 1913 Ghost on back roads around town. One of our club members posted a video of my arriving back at the motel and getting out of the car on Youtube. Needless to say, my grin didn't leave my face for two days!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
fanrgs wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
Just to clarify, we took the MGs on the paved High Park Road, not on the gravel Gold Camp Road. We try to stay on paved roads when driving top down to reduce caravan dust for those unfortunates bringing up the rear!

As for being near a mechanic, anyone with a car that old is his own mechanic. Plus we travel with tools, extra parts, cell phones, and, when we are not near a cell tower, 2-way radios in the first and last cars. The club trip last fall covered 1,200 miles in Colorado and New Mexico, which doesn't include the 50 miles traveled through the gold aspen-covered hills by "train" (Galloping Goose #5) on the C&TS Railroad.

Since you are an English car buff check out this one. 1946 Hillman Minx Drop Head Coupe. It is what I learned to drive in. Up until 1981 it was the family one & only daily driver & the oldest car in Bermuda.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fanrgs, any road good enough for a MG is plenty good enough for my TV. My first thought was that you were awful brave taking a MG so far from a service place. My first vehicle was a used 1965 Mini 850. Like MGs, a blast to drive the English country roads but woefully underpowered by todays standards. Also constantly needed oil level checking & lightbulb replacing. Gotta love British Leyland.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, it is definitely a gravel road, a very long one. Generally in good condition in the fall, no steep grades, mostly long sweeping curves and no hairpins once you are on the old railroad grade, and very scenic when the aspen are changing.

Two other places I would suggest visiting while you are in the Cripple Creek area are the Phantom Canyon Road (but only in a TV or toad, not in an RV) and Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument. Like the Gold Camp Road, Phantom Canyon is an 1890's railroad grade, but, unlike Gold Camp, it is narrow gauge, not standard gauge. So, smaller radius curves, steeper grades, and narrower roadbed, ie., more exciting to drive! Florissant is little known to Colorado tourists, but worth spending half a day and maybe having lunch at their picnic area--as we did on an MG car club trip I led last fall.

If you would like to head southwest from Cripple Creek, but you don't have time or a suitable RV to take through Phantom Canyon, I have an alternative. Leave from Florissant and take the High Park Road to CO 9 and US 50. This "back road" (Teller Co. 1 to 11) is a good paved road, despite what some maps show, and more scenic than the alternative of US 24 to Buena Vista. The MG club drove High Park Road last fall and had a great time on it top down on a sunny, fall afternoon.

Have fun planning your trip and even more fun driving it!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I was there a long time ago, it was gravel then. The only problem I had was a jerk on a dirt bike deliberately blasted me with the course gravel. When I found him later, I threw a hand full of gravel in his face.