cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning Trip to Columbia River in OR/WA

mishac75
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning a trip to the Columbia River area this summer. I've read online that large vehicles are not recommended on the Columbia River Scenic Highway (rt. 30) so I was wondering how accessible are some of the more popular attractions off of I-84. We wanted to visit the Vista House overlook, Multnomah Falls and were thinking about staying at Ainsworth State Park. Are there any other attractions along the river on the Oregon or Washington side that are RV friendly? We are planning on staying about 3 or 4 days in the area.

My Thor Vegas is only 26.5 feet and I'm not towing a dinghy as I am carrying a hitch mounted mobility scooter for a disabled family member. I'd like to avoid the expense of having to rent a small SUV if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Safe Travels,

M.
11 REPLIES 11

mishac75
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Do not over the down stream from Vancouver. Great scenery all the way to the jetties at Warrenton.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

mishac75
Explorer
Explorer
I'll add that to the list. Thank you.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend crossing the Bridge of the Gods at Cascade Locks. The bridge itself is a sight. There is an interpretive center at Scamania and check out the fish viewing at Bonneville Dam. Don't miss Beacon Rock also on the Washington side. Caution, there are a number of arched tunnels on highway 14. You will be fine height wise if you hug the center line. Check out the marks on the tunnels of rigs that didn't clear.

I've never been there but I hear there is a nice aviation museum in Hood River.

mishac75
Explorer
Explorer
Great. Thank you.

Y-Guy
If you head up further check out the Maryhill Museum as well as the Sam Hill's Stonehenge

Camping there is a COE park in the area as well as the Maryhill State Park or right next door the Peach Beach Camp

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

mishac75
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated.

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
Ainsworth is a good place to stay and has some large sites and full hookups. Like said the scenic highway is not for large vehicles in most areas but there are other things you can see. Multnomah falls has a parking lot, several dams tours and fish viewing, Wind Surfing in Hood River, on WA side Beacon Rock, Maryhill Museum and Stone Hinge to name a few,do not try Hood River Bridge very narrow use another one. Could also go to Mt Hood Lodge not that far.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Plan to camp at one end or the other of the gorge and drive the old highway. YOU DO NOT want to drive a MH on that road. Remember, it was built when cars were small and narrow.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Old US 30 is very narrow and some sections are restricted. Portions from Troutdale and Multnomah Falls area should be accessible with your rig.
Vista House is accessible.
Mulnomah Falls has a large parking area.
Washington side is WA 14. It is a good two lane for the most part.
Area around Bonneville Dam has good access on both sides.
Couple of the bridges look narrow, but not as bad as they look.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Unfortunately, your rig is a bit large for several of those parking lots, especially the Vista House. Under no circumstances try to drive your rig around the building and through the parking lot.
Have you considered renting a car for a few days?