cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Prevalence of Low/Ultralow Sulfur Diesel in Baja

Chrisrv
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, I'll be traveling down the Baja California peninsula from San Felipe to Cabo San Lucas and am concerned about finding ultraslow sulphur diesel for my RV. Thankfully, I have a good driving range of 500-700 miles per tank. I am looking for advice. Thank you!
8 REPLIES 8

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
moisheh wrote:
With all that is happening due to Trump I would not rely on Pemex to do anything. World oil prices are rising and the peso will likely drop to more than 24. Thus Pemex will be raising prices even more. They could actually be forced to give up on refineries! ULSD is the least of their problems Chris: 20 to 80 ppm is not ULSD. More like LSD. But it would be better than the regular Diesel. Pemex should put the whole operation up for auction. Forget the precious constitution

Moisheh

Increasing world prices allows Mexico to raise theirs which is good for the economy. Low oil prices are what sunk Mexico and many other countries.

30 to 80 sure beats 500! As for constitutions, I can name several American countries that could scrap theirs and start over. After all, this is the 21st century, not the 18th :B
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
Talleyho69 wrote:
There has been a tremendous amount of discussion about this. Use the Search Tool to read all of the latest posts on this subject.

With respect this kind of response rankles a bit. First the search tool of this site truly and definitely SUCKS.

Second the only way to get timely ie answers from folks there now with real time information is to ask the question again.

So I say ask away...it never hurts to revisit these general questions especially the topics that are so fluid.

I too am interested in this situation as I am sure many others are and I check here for NEW and UPdated info regularly.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
compettitive stations are appearing all over,but chances are they are also getting product from pemex. Unfortunelelty even if it is USD you can see or smell the dif.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
With all that is happening due to Trump I would not rely on Pemex to do anything. World oil prices are rising and the peso will likely drop to more than 24. Thus Pemex will be raising prices even more. They could actually be forced to give up on refineries! ULSD is the least of their problems Chris: 20 to 80 ppm is not ULSD. More like LSD. But it would be better than the regular Diesel. Pemex should put the whole operation up for auction. Forget the precious constitution

Moisheh

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
My point was that, "we're getting there". Sometimes progress comes slowly. So, it is fair to say, that ULSD with 30 to 80 PPM is being produced in Mexico and distributed.

Now to find out where and when. I have an extensive list of stations that provide ULSD but it is very out-dated. I lost my contact in Pemex.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
This may not belong here either. The question about diesel fuel in Mexico comes up on this forum almost weekly. There are no hard and fast answers. Some diesel in Mexico comes from the US. Much of it goes to the major cities - Mexico City - Guadalajara - Monterrey. Some goes to stations near the US border. Some goes to Northern Baja. Mexico is working to upgrade their refineries but it could be years before they are up to today's standards. Posts on this forum have been predicting in a year or so since 2010 - not yet. I tried to find more online. Much of what I find is about gasoline but there are some things about diesel. Mexico imports a lot of fuel from the US but it is difficult to determine how much of it is diesel. Lots of stories online where info can be found. Still no real answers. Don't count on ULSD for at least a couple more years. That said - lots of RVers have been going to Mexico for years with newer diesel trucks built for the US market.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mexico-usa-oil-insight-idUSKBN14B0FS

Pemex faces a further cut of around $5.36 billion in 2017, which hurts its ability to improve refinery output. Refineries in Mexico are running at about 60 percent of their 1.576 million bpd of capacity, according to the company's data. That leaves the onus on Pemex to import more to cover demand.

Mexico's fuel demand is around 2.04 million bpd and the government expects growth of 2-3 percent per year in coming years.

In September, Mexico's imports of U.S. fuel surged to a monthly record of about 960,000 bpd, according to the EIA. The average for the year-to-date is around 820,000 bpd.

"We are expecting Mexico's imports from the U.S. to increase to an average of 900,000 barrels per day (bpd) in 2017... imports would surpass 1 million bpd at times in 2017 if private imports become significant after price liberalization," said Robert Campbell, head of oil products research at Energy Aspects.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=M_EPOORDB_EEX_NUS-NMX_MBBL&f=M

U.S. Exports to Mexico of Biomass-Based Diesel Fuel (Thousand Barrels)

http://www.opisnet.com/events/mexicosummit/news.html

Diesel demand is expected to increase by 65% from 2015 to 2029 from 408,500 b/d to 672,500 b/d, he said.

https://rbnenergy.com/taxonomy/term/430

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/29/us-refiners-export-record-amounts-of-gasoline-diesel.html

http://www.freshplaza.com/article/167808/Mexico-Diesel-shortage-hits-avocado-exports

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I found this in the newspaper Economista. The chart shows the increase in the production of clean fuels including diesel with a rate of 30 t0 80 PPM. It goes on to explain that the original goal was to reduce it to 15 PPM by 2009 which didn't happen. This is from production in three Mexican refineries.

Here is the article referenced from Oct 2016.

High Sulfur Rates Continue in 40% of Gasoline

(If this doesn't belong here, feel free to move it)
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

Talleyho69
There has been a tremendous amount of discussion about this. Use the Search Tool to read all of the latest posts on this subject.