Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route from Sacramento, Ca to Medford, Or

DandM-AG
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

We are planning a trip from Sacramento, California to Medford, Oregon. It looks like I-5 might be the best route, but I wanted to check with the forum to see if anyone had any better suggestions. One thing I don't like about the I-5 route is that it looks like I would have to climb to 4000 feet twice during the 295 mile drive.

I'm pulling a 40' 5er with a 2014 Ram 3500 dually 6.7L diesel.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Mark
10 REPLIES 10

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
As previously mentioned, consider carrying chains.

Given the recent unpredictable weather in Northern California, it's not unheard of for Caltrans to close the pass near weed at the slightest amount of snow.
They have also been checking vehicles for chains during snowy weather.

More than likely you will be fine. It's a beautiful drive when you get up north.
Good luck and have fun.

DandM-AG
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great input. Looks like I 5 is the best route. We are traveling in about a week, so I'll definitely check the road conditions before leaving.
Thanks again, Mark

RWjSIM2003
Explorer
Explorer
You will have no problem on I5 and it is the most direct route. We have done it more times than I an count. I have done that route in Motorhomes gas and Diesel and now with F450 and 43ft 5er.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are the alternatives?

- US97 as Mt Shasta to Klamath Falls, and OR140 to Medford. 97 doesn't have a major pass, but climbs gradually to the 4000' level. 140 is supposed to be alot easier the 66, but still climbs to snowlevels. Or you could take 62 or 138 to Crater Lake levels. 138 climbs in one long straight stretch from 97 to one of the highest points on Oregon paved highways.

Or you could take CA20 to US101. But US199 Crescent City to Grants Pass winds along a river and takes a tunnel under its highest point. OR42 is much lower, but a long way around if the the target is Medford. But if heading north 101 to 42 is a viable way around the winter storms on 5.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion,

I-5 (Sac to Medford) is up hill both ways, Coming and going:)

You've got newer equipment than me. I do it in a 2001 5.9 I have to watch my EGT's. I don't let mine go over 1200, which means I'm going about same speed as most tucks on some grades. And I don't stop at the top of grade like some do. I keep going so fresh air is flowing against radiator/trans cooler to cool things off.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Easy drive, with some long steep climbs along the way. Never had a problem with the previous gas RVs and the present 360 diesel RV, always towing a car. You won't maintain highway speed, but it is a beautiful drive, so going slower gives you a chance to enjoy the scenery.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I 5 is the way I would go. I have been that way from Sac to Seattle many times since 1958 with many different RVs including a 40 ft 5 w . You should not have any problems with the tow rig that you have
samsontdog:o:W

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
DandM-AG wrote:
Hello All,

We are planning a trip from Sacramento, California to Medford, Oregon. It looks like I-5 might be the best route, but I wanted to check with the forum to see if anyone had any better suggestions. One thing I don't like about the I-5 route is that it looks like I would have to climb to 4000 feet twice during the 295 mile drive.

I'm pulling a 40' 5er with a 2014 Ram 3500 dually 6.7L diesel.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Mark

Mark,
I-5 is the most direct route and the road is good all the way. An alternative but longer route would be I-5 to Hwy. 20 to 101 to 199 back to I-5. A little more senic route but quite a bit longer an no real mts. to climb. Are you going in the winter months? If so, buy some chains and do not start without checking the Ca. DOT for road conditions. The Siskiyous Mt.is 4000 ft. but is a good road and not a real long climb. It starts near the Oregon state line. Your truck will do just fine, just gear it down when you start to climb. I tow a 35 ft. 5th wheel with a Dodge 3500 and 6 spd. tranny. I can usually maintain between 40-50mph all the way to the top. Be aware of slow trucks in the lane next to the right lane. They will have their flashers on all the way to the top. Getting stuck behind one will cause you to loose your speed and it is dificult to make up. Going down the other side is a fairly steady drop. Go down the same speed you went up. Make sure your Exhaust Brake is on and working. I stay at approx. 35mph all the way down. Ashland is worth a visit. If you are going further north, stay at the 7 Feathers RV park in Canyonville. Great park and not that expensive.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pretty hard to go anywhere in Oregon or northern California without climbing. Siskayou Pass on I-5 is not difficult as long as you maintain a reasonably light foot to save the truck and fuel.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
I5 is basically the ONLY route. It is 4 lane freeway that hundreds of cars and trucks use daily. It is an easy drive.