cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Teton Pass Wy/ID

TWO_4_THE_ROAD
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone tell me about the Teton pass from Jackson Wy to Victor ID? Driving from yellowstone in August..
thanks..
07 Forestriver Flagstaff 8528GTSS, 07 Chev,2500hd, D/A, , 2000 Mitsubisi Eclipse. ,DW Kathy,DD Maggie
14 REPLIES 14

TWO_4_THE_ROAD
Explorer
Explorer
We're staying at Teton Valley RV park so we an go to visit Jackson hole. the prices at JH are out of sight and not available so we booked Teton Valley. We checked a lot of the CG between Jackson and Grand Teton and couldn't find openings for our time slot or sites to fit our 5er.
07 Forestriver Flagstaff 8528GTSS, 07 Chev,2500hd, D/A, , 2000 Mitsubisi Eclipse. ,DW Kathy,DD Maggie

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
TWO 4 THE ROAD wrote:
Hello: I'm sorry, I didn't elaborate in my query: I would like to know the road condition on Highway 22 from Jackson Wy, to Victor ID. It's seems like about a 25 mile run. Trying to get to Teton Valley RV park. After that, I'd like to get to American Falls ID. Never traveled that part of ID so not sure what to expect. By looking at the map, I would think that after leaving Victor it would be better to come down to the 31 to the 26 to Idaho Falls..Does that sound right? Thanks again for your help.

You've been given suggestions about not doing that 25-mile run on 22 from Jackson to Victor.

Instead, go down to Alpine and take 26 to 31 to Victor and 31 to 26 to Idaho Falls and then I-15/I-84 to American Falls. Those are all good roads with a RV but 22 is not.

Are you staying at Teton Valley RV to tour the Tetons? If so, that's a lot of slow driving every day. The national park has two wonderful campgrounds with 300 non-reservable sites each of dry camping - Gros Ventre and Colter. That would be out preference. Gros Ventre is closest to Jackson to do things there.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is web cam at the top at the rest area to watch the weather up top. I personally won't take my rig over that pass even with exhaust brake etc. On the down side toward Victor there are roads that locals pull out on RT 22 and can you get stopped? Another thing is Idaho has a reader board set up on RT. 22 posting the number of moose hit and killed on RT 22 by vehicles. I know I don't want to hit one and I do the maintaince on our rig, and being the head "wrench" I try not to abuse my equipment.

TWO_4_THE_ROAD
Explorer
Explorer
Hello: I'm sorry, I didn't elaborate in my query: I would like to know the road condition on Highway 22 from Jackson Wy, to Victor ID. It's seems like about a 25 mile run. Trying to get to Teton Valley RV park. After that, I'd like to get to American Falls ID. Never traveled that part of ID so not sure what to expect. By looking at the map, I would think that after leaving Victor it would be better to come down to the 31 to the 26 to Idaho Falls..Does that sound right? Thanks again for your help.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Oy, vey! Been driving in mountains all my life, but that road sounds too much for me. I'd drive it happily if empty, but I would not want to deal with other drivers up there.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know where you are ultimately heading but I could recommend driving down to bear lake for a few days. nice lake. Then 89 to 15.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been down it with a 40' DP. Being an owner of the Mountain Guide, I knew what to expect such as certain curves with 25mph speed limits so don't go charging down hill with a full head of stream. We did fine, but I wouldn't do it without air brakes and a retarder. If your passenger can't handle steep edges, put blinders on them - you look down over the edge to the switchbacks below you.

As for going up, it depends on how your rig handles the heat. I expect August could be warm even though you'll have some elevation.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Steve_83406
Explorer
Explorer
If you really are pulling 8000 lbs, I don't think I'd want to come down that hill even with good trans and compression brakes to help. If you must go from Jackson to Driggs, like others have said, I would go south then west to Alpine and Palisades Reservoir (maybe spend a night somewhere along there), up to Swan Valley, then connect back to Victor via Highway 31. H31 has a few corners and a small hill to climb over, but it is much nicer than dealing with the descent from Teton Pass. This detour is actually quite a pretty drive; you travel along Highway 89 that follows the Snake River to Alpine, the reservoir is ringed by forest and there are nice campgrounds and picnic areas along the way. You cruise through Swan Valley then head back into the hills on Highway 31. Watch for moose, deer, and bear along the way.

Steve

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Go with the Texas Shadow cause only the shadow knows. And he is most certainly right about this route.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
better to go down to Alpine and take 26 over to Idaho Falls.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
This from Mountain Directory.

"12. TETON PASS elev. 8429'
(on Wyoming Highway 22 west of Jackson, WY)

Teton Pass has sustained 10 percent grades on both sides of the summit. An unusual feature is that both runaway truck ramps on the east side of the pass can be used only if the runaway truck crosses the oncoming lane of traffic. There is a posted weight limit of 60,000 lbs. on this pass.

The westbound descent from the summit of Teton Pass begins with a 25 mph speed limit and a truck warning sign--"Steep grade--10 percent next 3 miles--use lower gear." This grade warning is repeated a mile later. About 2 1/2 miles down from the summit the grade eases to 6-7 percent and the speed limit increases. This grade continues for about 3-4 miles and eases near the Idaho state line.

The eastbound descent from the summit of Teton Pass starts with a truck warning sign--"Steep grade--10 percent next 5 1/2 miles--use lower gear." There are 20 mph curves near the top. About 1/3 mile down from the summit is a sign--"Runaway truck ramp--2 1/2 miles LEFT side." This warning is repeated several times as you approach the ramp. To use the ramp you must cross the oncoming lane of traffic. The ramp slopes uphill.

The second runaway truck ramp is about 1 mile after the first. It, too, is on the left side and is an upsloping ramp. At this point the grade begins to ease to about 6-7 percent and the speed limit increases. The hill continues to the town of Wilson, which is about 5 1/2 miles from the summit."
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Long 10 percent grade each direction.

Some friends in 3 rigs were relieved to see the sign in Wilson "Free coffee and donuts while we repair your brakes"! And they left about $3K each. :B

Take care and know how to drive in the mountains. :@
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
It is NOT recommended for RVs. The scene of many burned transmissions and smoked brakes.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
It kinda steep and long.
It's traveled a lot.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net