cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big Bend National Park

jarbra15
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed down to the Big Bend area later this week in our fifth wheel. Any recommendations on camp sites/RV Parks? We are not sure weather to try and stay in the park or stay in Terilingua. Any advice is appreciated.
Brad & Carol
2001 Dodge 2500,Quad Cab, LB,5.9CTD,Auto,3.54
2004 Cedar Creek Silverback LRLFS
15K Lil Rocker hitch
Tekonsha-Prodigy Brake Controller
16 REPLIES 16

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
When we were CG hosts at Chisos Basin CG at Big Bend - one thing we looked for every day were the buzzards - because if someone left a trash bag out, or any food type items accessible - the buzzards were into it quickly.

We warned people to keep food and trash in the bear boxes / unavailable - but buzzards were more of a pest than bears.

One thing which surprised me was how many times buzzards were picking burned cheese and charred meat scraps off the charcoal grills in the CG. Sometime the grill was still hot.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
All I really recall is that vultures were the campground pest. The CG has concrete tables with a concrete 'V' rook and the buzzards would land on that and eye you as you ate. They also had fights. Don't know if that is still the case tho.

That in general sounds like buzzard behavior in Texas, especially out west where the pickings are slimmer for scavengers. You should see them in the Hill Country on Monday, picking over the campsites after the weekenders leave!
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is big country. A good example of a time to camp in the park even if there are no hookups. It is different experience than commuting.

I did a backpacking trip in BBNP in the winter and hiked overland spring to spring. It was a wonderful place to be and we saw no other people.

goldsp8
Explorer
Explorer
We stay in the generator section of Rio Grande Village. First time we stayed in Terlingua at the "Resort". A lot of driving everyday back into the park. The diesel in Rio Grande Village was cheaper then it was outside of the park when we there (Feb 2016). Be sure and take your passport so you can cross over into Mexico The boat will row over to get you and bring you back. Pack a sack lunch, take plenty of water, your walking stick, and enjoy. Big Bend is a great place. JMHO

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Rio Grande Village Campground has near 100 dry camping spots. Most will hold your near 35 foot 5th wheel just fine.

Rio Grande Village Store concessionaire operates the parking lot FHU 'campground'. It's nothing fancy, but it is relatively cheap for a NPS FHU campground.

Cottonwood CG will hold your 5er, but it is a 'no generators allowed' campground.

Chisos Basin CG does not have any spots that will hold your 5er. (Yes my sig pic was taken in that CG, but I was one of the hosts in the FHU site.)

Be aware there are no showers in the restrooms in Big Bend NP. The Rio Grande Village Store does operate a small pay shower facility, and a small coin laundry.

Also be away that Big Bend's busy season is Nov-Apr - with the park very crowded in March with spring break visitors.

Off the park proerty are two popular campgrounds for visitors near Study Butte/ Terlingua - the campground behind the single gas station. BJ's RV park about three miles toward Lajitas is also used by many folks. Both have FHU. About 20 miles farther south in Lajitas is Maverick Ranch - another bare lot campground but with some amenities. Many larger rigs like Maverick very much.

Be aware that one powerline comes into the area, and it an issue develops the entire area is without power. We once went 70 hours with no power in the park, Study Butte/ Terlingua/ Lajitas when there was a big problem near Alpine.

There is a nice small store just outside the park in Study Butte - Cottonwoods. There a typical in-park items at the stores at Rio Grande Village, Chisos Basin, Castolon, and a few items at the gas station near the park HQ at Panther Junction. There is fuel at RGV and Panther Junction. Expect to pay about $1 per gallon more than Fort Stockton. There is fuel in Study Butte and Lajitas - about 60-75 cents per gallon more than Fort Stockton.

Otherwise, it is 120-160 miles to Apline or Presidio for any supplies you didn't bring with you. It is also 120-160 miles from any place in the park to Alpine for a hospital/ doctor. There are two pharmacies in Alpine, but both are small town independents - they are only open til 5-6 pm weekdays, half-day Saturday and closed on Sunday. (The nearest 24-hour pharmacy is 280 miles away in Odessa.)

Another dry camping option are one of Primitive Roadside Camping Sites

Look at the pictures of each site / location and a map for the roads into the area. All are desert camping with low scrub around the cleared camping area. A different experience more like west coast/ southwest states boondocking than typical Texas 'remote' camping.

I would take my 36' TT to Grapevine Hills 1, 2 or 3. There is no way the rig could get to GH 4 or 5 due to a steep wash that has to be crossed.

I could go into Rattlesnake Mountain on the Old Maverick Road from the north, but I wouldn't take the trailer south of Luna's Jacal. And the Ocotillo Grove and Terlinqua Abajo sites area is almost too small for my truck alone.

As with any backcountry campsite on barely improved roads - make a recon drive without the trailer first.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is big country and everything is far apart. Better to boondock in the Park than try and commute.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely stay in the park. You'll tire very quickly of the run from outside the park boundaries (there's nearly 150 miles of paved road in the park). With your rig the Rio Grande Village area is the best with choice of full hookup area or non. There's a small general store w/gas there. The only restaurant in the park is in the Chisos basin. It's worth at least one evening sunset meal.
Currently Between RVs

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote foe staying within the Park. If you need hookups, the concession operated Rio Grand Village RV campground is the only choice. If not, you can pick between NPS managed Rio Grand Village on the east side or Cottonwood (no generators) on the west. I'd guess you're too big for the Basin campground but be sure to drive up there, maybe take some of the hikes, have a meal and watch the sun set through the Window. We usually stay around two weeks and spend a few days in each of the three campgrounds managed by the Park Service.

Do visit Terlingua. The Starlight Theater has a decent menu and La Kiva is a great place for an adult beverage.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Big bend resort it is not a resort, it is all dirt but it is close to the entrance and Terlingua
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Chisos Basin Campground is great but it has a length limit of 24 feet. I don't know what size your rv is.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I'd search this Forum for previous answers; much faster than waiting for new responses.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd recommend staying in the park itself. Why stay outside if it's the park you want to visit? Rio Grande Village has full hookups and dry camping spots. We enjoy the dry camping spots the best. There is a dump station and water fill. Staying in the park will save a lot of driving. The park is HUGE.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Go to and stay in Rio grand village. It's an parking lot, asphalt, with full hook ups. Grass and trees behind the RV. It is closer to sites, hiking, hot springs, etc, than staying out of the park. We stayed outside the park the first time we were there. Went back a year later, stayed in the park, stayed a week and traveled extensively within the park. May well do it again.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Was there for two weeks over Christmas. Unless they've done maintenance on the River Road it's pretty much only passable via high-clearance vehicles and I'd recommend 4WD. Always used to be the East end up to the old mine was passable with any car, but not this year. I did drive the whole road in a Jeep again this year.

Rio Grande Village is the only place in the park with hookups and the cost is about the same as the campgrounds up in Study Butte and Terlingua. There are a lot of dry camping spots in the NP campground right next to Rio Grande Village though. Most than half allow you to use your generator between 8am-8pm. There's a dump and water facility near the Village Store.

The best place, and least expensive, for full hookups is the Barton Warnok Visitor Center which is the Big Bend Ranch State Park HQ in Terlinqua. They have 5 full hookup sites for park volunteers and if they're not occupied they'll let you stay there, but it's first come first served.

Maverick Ranch is one of the best commercial campgrounds with full hookups and all the other amenities. They were full up right after Christmas though. Not sure how it might be now, but I suspect the snow birds have moved in and won't leave until around March.