cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fifth wheel campgrounds in pacific northwest

jimbob2008
Explorer
Explorer
I have a big rig fifth-wheel that doesn't fit into some rv parks. Can anyone suggest pacific northwest and northwestern US National Parks and or private parks that accommodate same?
17 REPLIES 17

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
You need to reserve NOW! State parks book fast, especially weekends... Winchester Bay & Newport marina as well as Brookings marina work for private choices if you can't get in to the state parks.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I've only been towing a 31' 5er for a couple of years. Here are some of my observations as to finding a site:

Grayland Beach State Park - No problem
Ft. Stevens State Park - No problem in some sites
CovePalisades State Park - Iffy
Beverly Beach State Park - We fit in a pull through but just. There were a few long rigs there.
Old Stone Village, McMinnville - Good
Kahneeta - Good but arrive during the week
Silver Falls SP - Good in the full hook up loop
Cannon Beach RV Park - Good
Maryhill SP - Good
Cape Kiwanda RV Park - just a couple of sites. Don't recommend but great beach though.
Champooeg State Park - Some sites are suitable
Diamond Lake Forest Service Campground - Nope

jimbob2008
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the pointers. I will look into them. It gets frustrating going through some of the travel guides and finding out that our 5er won't fit, or there are no hook ups.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoy public parks more than RV parks. With our 40' motorhome we've stayed in these Oregon coast state parks along Hwy 101: Beverly Beach, Bullards Beach, Cape Blanco, Carl Washburn, Fort Stevens, Harris Beach. I'd recommend picking about 3 places along the whole coast for easy exploring. Stay at the south, middle and north ends.

Crater Lake: Stay at either Joseph H. Stewart State Rec. Area or Collier Memorial State Park - either one is an easy drive to the park.

Washington: continue drive along 101 - Cape Disappointment state park is very nice. Follow 101 along the Olympic Peninsula and stay in Port Townsend at Fort Worden State Park on the beach. Port Townsend is a fun little town with a lot going on in the summer. You would be close for day trips to Hurricane Ridge in Olympic Nat'l Park, a day trip via ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria, B.C. and hop the city bus to take you out to Buchart Gardens. Take another ferry from Bainbridge Island close to Port Townsend. The short ferry ride will take you to Seattle's waterfront at the aquarium. You can walk to the monorail which will whisk you to the Space Needle, then take the monorail back and shop at the famous Pike Market before boarding your return.

You can also take your car on the Port Townsend ferry for a day exploring up to Anacortes, WA.

Just doing the above will take you at least a couple months!! Lots to do in this beautiful area.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
https://crownvillarvresort.com/Crownvilla Resort in Bend, Oregon would be a good base for a week.
Crater Lake is 2 hours away. The Old McKenzie Historic Highway and Sisters, Oregon is about 1.5 hours too.

Crater Lake in late May.

Summit of 242 view of Three Sisters Mountains, plus lava beds.

Central Oregon Coast is my favorite. We stay at Seal Rock RV Park sometimes.

Our Grand Designs Momentum in November

And the view looking the other direction.

Fort Steven State Park near Astoria would be a great stop for a week also. Reserve soon. Lots to see in Astoria and the surrounding area.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

Rainier
Explorer
Explorer
I really like Grants Pass Oregon and Bend Oregon. Both are beautiful with lots of camping options.

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
If you look on the Good Sam trip planer, and select 4 or 5 stars you will find plenty of nice camp grounds that will fit a 40ft or longer 5er.

If you book many camp grounds in middle of June during the week you will have pretty good luck. Being we belong to a Good Sam Camping group that camps during the week and never on the weeks ends. Looking at the camp grounds we go to all over Washington an in Oregon I see lots of open spaces all summer ....I remember one camp ground near the ocean that had 100 spaces with a number of full hookups,
I say 30 of them were not filled all week while we were there...

However the are a few Sate camp grounds even thought they have full hookups may not except 5ers over say 35ft or longer, when calling the Washington State parks they will ask you how large/long your vehicle is....

One state park we stayed in along hood river our 33ft 5th wheel was a tight fit, the site was real close to the next side. The site's were so close that our picnic table was next to the sewer inlet of the next camp site, our power pole and water was just as close but about 6 or 7ft away from the sewer... thus we didn't eat outside on our picnic table ....,

On the other hand we were at a really nice Good Sam camp grounds south of Sea Side Oregon that had paved parking spots, new power and water hook ups, sewer drains some way away from the water and electric and really big sites with nice shade trees.

jimbob2008
Explorer
Explorer
yesterday reservations are great, but, what are Your favorite places?

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Your large 5th wheel will fit nicely in most any Oregon and Washington State Parks. If you are going to the coast in either in the summer....make reservations yesterday.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Personally we live close to the coast, but dont go there much any more. We much prefer central Oregon for the high desert, warm days cool nights and LOTS of sunshine. Each geographic region has lots to offer. Central Oregon has lakes,rivers,hiking,mountain biking,caving. Coast has scenery unmatched anywhere in the world.

jimbob2008
Explorer
Explorer
All of it. The fun stuff. Day trips to fun stuff. Sorry about being vague. What are your favorites? I have favorites in Arizona and New Mexico, but haven't ventured North west yet.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
We got that. How about telling us what part of Oregon your interested. Coast, mountains, desert?

jimbob2008
Explorer
Explorer
We are trying to plan a summer trip of two months. Looking at the west coast and northern route states. Possibly adding western Canada. One week stops.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
If you have not already done so, a good place to look is rvparkreviews.com. You find reviews plus links to a campground's website.