cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motel 6 leaves a Porch Light on but ...

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
If you leave a Porch Light on is it to scare away any bears? Or are you expecting late night visitors? Or an Amazon midnight delivery? ..... We have often wondered about the purpose behind leaving the porch light on while camping in public lands... We might put the porch light on when loading up the truck camper on a dark evening; otherwise it stays off at night .... (We enjoy campfires and watching shooting stars & satellites, reason we leave lights off).... Would love to hear some responses please...
21 REPLIES 21

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
chuckbear wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
chuckbear wrote:
I think the main reason is the total lack of consideration for others. Chuck

Sounds like you live in a sad world, do us a favor and stay there.

I live in a very happy world and a very full life thank you. I suspect you might be one of those people that fall into this category. Why else would you find the need to make a statement like this since you don't know anything about me or my life? Chuck

Why else would you make the blanket statement that anyone who leaves their light on has done so knowingly and out of blatant disregard to anyone else? You say I don't know anything about you, yet this statement tells me all I need to know about you,

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m thinking chuckbear is perceptive....On another note saw 1 porch light on last night....Was in the distance... And gonna try to view the comet tonight if the lights are off....

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
chuckbear wrote:

I live in a very happy world and a very full life thank you. I suspect you might be one of those people that fall into this category. Why else would you find the need to make a statement like this since you don't know anything about me or my life? Chuck

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't get the need to light up everything either. If you are afraid of the dark, stay where it is light all the time. Please have some consideration for others. If you are sitting around having a couple of adult beverages, light up only the area where you are sitting. Why have that obnoxious scare light on the front of the FW on all night? I know, to irritate people that complain on this forum. You have proven your point, you don;t care what others think.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
IF there are any lights on my camper overnight... It's because I FORGOT to turn them off... :S
X2
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, what a happy crowd.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
chuckbear wrote:

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
IF there are any lights on my camper overnight... It's because I FORGOT to turn them off... :S

Most of the time I go outside with a cup of coffee in the morning and notice the porch lite still on.

The Lance 811 we are restoring now has 3 porch lites, one on each side and the rear, along with halogen landing lites. A nice feature that Lance added is lighted switches for all outside lites, so you don't forget and leave them on when you go to bed ๐Ÿ™‚

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman.... my generator is automatic, on when suns out & off at sunset.... And yes you get my vote...

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Lights off, generators off, campfires out, music off. I want it quiet and dark.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for so many Good answers so far ,but please remember, that I posed my question regarding the porch light on while camping on Public Lands and not in RV Parks...

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Some people are simply afraid of the dark, even if they wont admit it.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving the porch light on, for some people, might be from the habit of keeping a light on outside their door at home for security reasons. The thinking is that a burglar will not want to be seen (by neighbors or a passing cop car) fiddling with the doorknob, and a peeping tom won't want to be seen peeking into a window. My home has outdoor lights at night for this reason.

Some campers, more likely newbie ones, don't realize that light pollution is most unwelcome when RVs are parked close together. A word spoken in kindness to 'enlighten' them will often result in a 'de-light-ful' result. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
schlep1967 wrote:
I think the main reason is to give busy bodies something to complain about. My camper has blinds that close when I go to bed and then I also close my eyes. Thus, it's dark.. Unless a neighbor has a spotlight aiming at my camper I don't have a problem.

I do turn of my outdoor lights as it makes it harder for opportunistic thieves to see what I may have left out under the awning.

Yea. And it makes it easier for you see their flashlight when they are fishing around outside, whispering like a couple of drunk high school kids.
Turn out the lights. The party is over.