cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Secluded RV Sites in Florida

Skylark157
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. I am looking for a some nice places to take a class A in Florida that are secluded. I live in S East Florida and ideally I am looking for places in Ocala or south of Ocala. Dry camping sites will work, we don't have a preference but we just looking to get away from it all.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ocala National Forest or the Glades.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
If you really want to get away Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park is a 5 mile drive in through open prairie just to get to the park office. Beautiful spot far from everything, but of course it is closing for a bit.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Skylark157
Explorer
Explorer
Great, thanks for the great recommendations. I will start to look into Paynes Prairie and Rodman.

I ran into an RV'er who told me there is a quite spot near River Ranch. He said the KICCO Spoil Equestrian Campsite is small but usually quite. Anyone ever been there? I am familiar with the area and RR but I am not familiar with taking an RV there.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
A previous post mentioned Rodman State Park which is near Ocala. I wasn't blown away by Paynes Prairie either.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Have friends who thought Paynes Prairie was the greatest. I stayed there Nov. 21 and would give it a 3 on a 1-10 scale. To each his own, I guess.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
djsamuel wrote:
It is a small distance north of Ocala, but Paynes Prairie State Park would be another option. They just renovated the campground but I haven't been there yet.

We were there a couple of weeks ago to hike a trail, the cg didn't seem to be full. Probably FHU in the CG. Last time we stayed in the cg a tree fell on our TV...heh. Could happen anywhere of course. The place is on the soggy side right now but everything around here is to some extent.

As for Alexander I checked the rec.gov website and they do have available sites next week.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
There are 14 developed campgrounds in the Ocala National Forest with some offering dump stations and showers, but just one with full hookups. Dispersed camping is also available, so there's a good likelihood there will be a spot available somewhere in the forest. The full hookup sites are at the Salt Springs Recreation Area campground, the least "secluded" of the campgrounds with no foliage separating the sites and a small shopping center across the highway from the campground.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
SpeakEasy wrote:
Alexander Springs?

Packed like a sardine can right now isn't it? And everytime we've been by in the summer it is always busy.

Was only there once - two years ago - in April, and there was plenty of space then.

Live and learn

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
It is a small distance north of Ocala, but Paynes Prairie State Park would be another option. They just renovated the campground but I haven't been there yet.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
SpeakEasy wrote:
Alexander Springs?

Packed like a sardine can right now isn't it? And everytime we've been by in the summer it is always busy.
Superbumper

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ocala Nat For is the right place to look.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Alexander Springs?
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a very nice and new State Forest cg off SR 337 in between Bronson and Newberry. Dry but has water on site. $10/night but I think you can get a pass online at the Florida State Forest site. The sites are all pull thru with lots of room in between sites and a fire ring and picnic table at each one. They are in open shade. It's in the Goethe State Forest. I have never seen anyone camping in it and only occasional horse trailers parked while they use the equestrian trails. There are trailheads leading to about 10 miles of good hiking trails. Newberry is about 10 minutes away and has a supermarket and hardware stores. Gainesville is about 30 minutes.

The National Forest around Ocala right now is heavily infested with snowbirds so I doubt you'll find much solitude around there. Not until the snow storms stop up north which they show no sign of doing right now.
Superbumper