cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

balanced shower

road2002runner
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know of a replacement shower control that you can balance to your tastes.

bbt
I'll NEVER be an "EXPERT" (In math.X is an unknown factor and a "SPURT" is just a drip - under pressure)

Y2K F350 Longbox C.C. SRW, 2WD (BIG BLUE)

2011 COUGAR HC 291RLS

Barry, & Zeah - the "wonder" Sheltie

15 REPLIES 15

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
The Delta 17 series does have anit-scald. The only way to get automatic temperature control is to go with the digital shower controls like the Kohler, Moen or Goewe. Now you are looking at spending $750 to $1000 just for a shower control. On the plus side, the valve unit is mounted remotely so installation becomes easier.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
I just got done installing a Delta unit in my house. With some creativity you could mount one more or less on the surface in the shower if you built a sealed box to cover it. They even make them with PEX supply barbs.

Be aware that most US shower valves are pressure balancing (covering the case where someone flushes the toilet), not thermostatic. The problem in an RV is mainly that the temperature out of the water heater changes a lot as the water gets used up but the pressure out of the hot and cold taps remains relatively equal. You'll still be getting balanced pressure out of the shower valve for a non-thermostatic unit but you won't have any real anti-scald or automatic temperature control. I think you are better off installing a tempering valve that mixes hot and cool water together at the output of the water heater to hit 120 degrees maximum in the shower. That will self regulate until the water heater output temperature drops too low.
http://www.watts.com/pages/_products_details.asp?pid=6841

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Clay L wrote:
Delta makes temperature controlled shower faucets. I had them in my last house. Not cheap - $250 or so. See HERE
This is what they say about them.
"The long and short of it: This 17 Series Dual Temperature and Pressure Shower Control is a fully functioning Shower Faucet without the showerhead. It features a Large Handle to control the Shower (on/off) along with a smaller Handle used to set the temperature. You can set the temperature however you prefer and then just leave that smaller handle in place. Every time you take a shower you will simply turn it on with the large handle and the water come out exactly at your preferred level of warmth! This fixture also includes the required Rough-in Valve which installs in the wall. This item can work with any showerhead or handheld shower when plumbed correctly in the wall. It mixes the water from your hot and cold water lines in the wall and sends out a stream of warm water to whatever shower spray you choose."

Have that exact control in my master bath. I suppose I could make it work in my RV shower because the escutcheon plate would cover the existing holes where the water lines enter. However, it requires 3 inches of clearance behind the mounting surface. That would put the water lines in the living room as the wall behind the shower is not 3 inches thick. The temperature high limit on that valve is set by adjusting a mechanical stop which is splined onto the cartridge shaft and contacts a boss on the back of the control handle.
2016 Ford Edge Sport

toddb
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FAGWKTC/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1CROXZW0Q2N76&colid=GL2NMQQW3MV7

Plumb this off your water heater, it'll mix down your hot to what ever your setting is at all faucets.

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
Delta makes temperature controlled shower faucets. I had them in my last house. Not cheap - $250 or so. See HERE
This is what they say about them.
"The long and short of it: This 17 Series Dual Temperature and Pressure Shower Control is a fully functioning Shower Faucet without the showerhead. It features a Large Handle to control the Shower (on/off) along with a smaller Handle used to set the temperature. You can set the temperature however you prefer and then just leave that smaller handle in place. Every time you take a shower you will simply turn it on with the large handle and the water come out exactly at your preferred level of warmth! This fixture also includes the required Rough-in Valve which installs in the wall. This item can work with any showerhead or handheld shower when plumbed correctly in the wall. It mixes the water from your hot and cold water lines in the wall and sends out a stream of warm water to whatever shower spray you choose."
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

schwartzworld
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
schwartzworld wrote:
road2002runner wrote:
Anyone know of a replacement shower control that you can balance to your tastes.

bbt

Here you go. Set the temp once and your all set.
https://www.amazon.com/Amzdeal-Shower-Diverter-Thermostatic-Bathroom/dp/B00ZWDYMYA/ref=pd_sbs_194_1?...

Only problem with that is that it appears to have an 8" supply offset. That is not a typical RV offset.

If the OP could get along with reduced temperature from the "hot" side in all the fixtures, opening the usual winterization bypass valve a small bit would act like a mixing valve.

It's pretty bad that these high-fixed temp RV water heaters are not required to have an anti-scald valve installed (at least in the shower).

Look on YouTube. There are installations documented there. The offset is not an issue if you are creative. It's an easy install.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
schwartzworld wrote:
road2002runner wrote:

bbt

https://www.amazon.com/Amzdeal-Shower-Diverter-Thermostatic-Bathroom/dp/B00ZWDYMYA/ref=pd_sbs_194_1?...

Only problem with that is that it appears to have an 8" supply offset. That is not a typical RV offset.

If the OP could get along with reduced temperature from the "hot" side in all the fixtures, opening the usual winterization bypass valve a small bit would act like a mixing valve.

It's pretty bad that these high-fixed temp RV water heaters are not required to have an anti-scald valve installed (at least in the shower).
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

schwartzworld
Explorer
Explorer
road2002runner wrote:

bbt

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
There are adjustable RV water heater t-stats. Just do a search on the net.

Dusty

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
JimK-NY wrote:
I assume you mean balance the water temperature? I am not sure what is wrong with standard shower. Anyway I found a better way of doing this. I have a timer and heat my water for the exact time needed for a perfect shower using only hot water. One reason I did that is to avoid wasting water while trying to get the temperature right.

I also heat my hot water tank to comfortable temp then get in it using only the hot water tap
Otherwise by the time you adjust both the cold and the hot water taps to get it comfortable its time to get out. Theres only 6 gallons. Five gallons gone by the time the proper temp is found. One gallon left to quickly clean up with. Such aggravation.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
These are nothing more than single lever shower valves with no temp control whatsoever. Even adding an output valve doesn't guarantee perfect temp control. Wish it did
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
So you're looking for a temperature limited single handled shower control like you would have in your sticks and bricks? Might be hard to find one that will mount in an RV without extensive modifications.

Then again, turns out there are some out there. Not sure on the temperature limiting ability of these but something should be fairly easy to devise so that the handle can only be turned "so far" towards the hot side.

Etrailer.com

RVUpgrades.com

The Dura faucet is also available on Amazon.
2016 Ford Edge Sport

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
Like road2002runner, I would like to be able to set the water temp at a safe level then leave it there.

This isn't so much for me, but for my 8-10 year old grandkids. We still won't let them set temps because the slightest error could be disastrous (super hot water).
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Once I do get the water temp where I like it my shower head has a valve I can close to keep temp where I put it. Hope this helps. Honestly, I did not know this valve was there for about a year. Found it quite by accident as it is not obvious
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)