cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric A-frame jacks.. Husky or Bulldog???

robotworks
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at 4000 to 4500 lb jacks for my 20 foot TT. Need to be able to lift the Yukon also for weight distribution bars. Any opinion as to which one (Husky or Bulldog)is better? Any feedback on reliability?

tim in san jose
8 REPLIES 8

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
I just put a 3500 Bulldog on mine today. It was what the shop had. 22" stroke. Improvement over previous jack. 5yr warranty.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

TF1
Explorer
Explorer
One weak link with Husky is a supplied 30 amp breaker. Last month I went to check the level of my trailer and start the fridge in preparation for a trip and the jack was dead. After tracing the wiring I discovered the bad breaker (everything is 3 years old). I went to several places, RV and auto supply, but no luck on a replacement. I googled the thing and replacements are available, but only in large lots from the importer. I replaced the breaker with a fusible link and carry several spare fuses now. Everything works fine, but if I was installing a new one, I'd replace the breaker from the start. I have the 4500 lb. with the remote control which is a very useful device. I can set the level accurately from inside the RV.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
I chose the Husky because of its ball-bearing design.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Blacklane
Explorer
Explorer
My 20-foot trailer came with a 4000-lb Bulldog jack. One time I retracted the jack to its top limit and an internal gear broke and the jack was beyond repair. As an engineer myself, I would never release a design that can destroy itself in routine use.

I replaced it with a 4500-lb Husky jack, which has been installed for several years now.

As I recall, I did nothing to the mounting holes and the jacks were interchangeable.

I think the Bulldog had a 22-inch travel over the Husky's 18-inch travel, but I have never missed the extra 4 inches. I usually use a 4-inch wooden jack pad anyway.

robotworks
Explorer
Explorer
I like overkill. The tongue weight is only 500 lbs but the late 90's Yukon TV is a healthy piece of metal. I have a 8000 lb weight distribution bar on it so I have to jack it up pretty high to get the bars on. It does ride level.
tim

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
For a 20 foot trailer either one will work if both fit.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

RVJimofOregon
Explorer
Explorer
I got a Husky 4500# from PPL this spring and love it. For a 28 ft trailer I know it's is overkill but went thru 2 lighter jacks in the last 4 years. Had to enlarge the hole a bit but wasn't that hard. If not careful it can left the pickup off the ground.
Flaguy
Jim & Joyce
Central Oregon Coast

26 foot 2004 Komfort travel trailer
2014 Platinum Tundra pickup

Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents,โ€œIt was loaned to you by your childrenโ€
Indian proverb

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked your trailer holes for the size diameter? Will the new one fit?
If it fits, go with the larger one. Even if it is overkill.
I'm going with the idea of overkill, will last longer.
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315