cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Love Seat Swap Options

_3_kidsdad
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks, so I have a 2013 Canyon Cat with the jackknife sofa. It is terrible and I want to replace it. It is on a slide out so I'm concerned with the weight.

I am looking at a loveseat recliner with center console. Has anyone done this type of swap? if so, did the loveseat fit through the door opening? Should I be concerned with the added weight on the slide?

Thanks. Kids are grown so the wife and I are modifying the camper starting with this then the bunk area.
3 REPLIES 3

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad

Just getting back up to speed on the new forum and I am sure you have resolved your issue already but wanted to add a suggestion for any future readers. I tried a recliner in my small loveseat area and it worked but was very intrusive. I tried a Euro chair which was not the answer. I finally built out the area to include a Bosh apartment sized dishwasher. It is just as tall but about six inches narrower. It gets run every day. Along the rest of that space are three cabinets with pull outs. One is a pantry, one is for the garbage can, and one is for our full size mixer and food processor. The extra counter space holds a convection oven, utensils for cooking, and a place for a desk calender and input/outgoing thingy. Can't remembe what you call them. 

Then the sofa sleeper was replaced which was just a torture device to teach those folks that thought going with us would be a treat to stay home or get their own RV.

After lots of research we found the Love Sac modular furniture to work perfectly. We have a large foot stool which you might think is intrusive but it actually is not and two people can share it. 

The Love Sac can be configured in multiple ways. Take some time to look it up. They have bases that can be used for storage which is a huge advantage. You can have some audio system option as well. USB chargers can be part of the installation. The covers come off for washing. We have had our new couch for about 6-8 months now and absolutely love it. You do not need to buy armrest for either end. Or you can buy just one as we did and I then built an armrest that would fit the narrower end where one of their armrests would not fit. This homebuilt armrest allowed me to mount a really useful plastic remote control and phone holder. I also built a spacer behind the back to make room for the seatbelts which are still in place and go up through the bottom sections to hold thing in place. The extra space behind gives me room to run power cords and install power strips with usb chargers built in. All in all, the Love Sac has been a perfect fit so to speak. It is not cheap stuff. 

The furniture comes in separate boxes and is light enough for one person to handle, although a bit awkward. The pieces go through the door easily. The armrests clamp to the bases with some heavy duty push on clamps. No tools necessary. 

So take a look at the Love Sac site. The site was a real pia and slow so be patient. 

@_3_kidsdad wrote:
Hi folks, so I have a 2013 Canyon Cat with the jackknife sofa. It is terrible and I want to replace it. It is on a slide out so I'm concerned with the weight.

I am looking at a loveseat recliner with center console. Has anyone done this type of swap? if so, did the loveseat fit through the door opening? Should I be concerned with the added weight on the slide?

Thanks. Kids are grown so the wife and I are modifying the camper starting with this then the bunk area.

H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No one but you can tell you how much weight youโ€™d be subtracting or adding. Although like Barney, Iโ€™d suspect the only issue will be getting a new sofa that fits thru the door.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
We did a similar thing quite a few years ago. Found a very nice leather, wall hugger recliner couch at Costco. The backs came off so it was an easy trip thru the door. The weight has not been a concern at all. I think just about any brand will work the same way. As long as you can get it thru the door - don't worry about the added weight in the slideout. The difference between the two is not that much and will not be a problem.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine