cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forest River Unveils New Warranty Policy

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
Well, maybe all of our "social media" exchanges has gotten to at least one company. Rumors for the last couple of months about how the RV industry is responding to complaints from the customers seem to be coming true. Although I no longer own a FR product, I think this is s step in the right direction.
FR Unveils New Warranty Parts Plan
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4
14 REPLIES 14

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Greg Gerber wrote a great op-ed piece in RV Daily Report the other day, saying that the mfrs need to expand production out of the Elkhart/Goshen area. They'd have less issues with finding decent workers instead of hiring any warm body that walks into the factory. Warranty issues could be addressed from several locations instead of just one. Just 2 of the several good points he made.

http://rvdailyreport.com/industry/opinion-the-rv-industry-must-diversify-to-other-states/#comment-37...

I am not associated with RVDN in any way, other than as a reader.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
transamz9 wrote:
My Forest River product has been at the dealer for 4 months trying to get parts and parts made correctly. It's a joke and I feel my hands are tied and I can't do anything. Too mant chiefs and not enough people that actually know how to do something.:M

Hell it's the chiefs that don't know what to do, too, except how to screw the customer...

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
tinner12002 wrote:
Well from what I understand from reading complaints, its not so much about getting the parts quicker, its about the dealer and manufacturer arguing about who will pay for the repair with customers RVs sitting for months while they argue as to who will pay and whether its covered!! I guess anything is an improvement.

And not only who will pay, but how much. Mfrs are notoriously cheap, saying that something will only take 1 hr to fix, but in reality, it takes 3-4. Dealer only gets paid for 1 hr labor. I hear about wrong parts sent all the time. From several people I've heard that their VIN was supposed to have =this= thing that broke, but the junkies building the unit put in =that= thing instead. Personally, if I ever have that severe an issue, I'll pay, then sue the dealer and the mfr and let the lawyers deal with it while I enjoy my RV. Or play hardball and turn it over to my insurance company and let the true big boys play.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
As most people would agree, they are pretty much the same. My new Montana has had a frame and AC issue since last July and was sent back to the factory in early February and I'm told they will start on it tomorrow. Very little quality control from any of them. I will say that the two Sandpipers I had were relatively problem free, but I believe I just got lucky.
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
My Forest River product has been at the dealer for 4 months trying to get parts and parts made correctly. It's a joke and I feel my hands are tied and I can't do anything. Too mant chiefs and not enough people that actually know how to do something.:M
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
If Forest River wanted to improve all they would have to do is read RV net forum and implement changes to correct issue.

Personally I think what would change the industry the most is to eliminate quota's, finish and you can go home mentality. If they had the workers sign off on each RV and reward bonus based on fewest warranty claims. This would be great for everybody. Customer would get a better product. Dealer would not have his shop tied up with lower compensation warranty claims. Mfg paying less in warranty claims, and most of all having a repeat customer.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Well from what I understand from reading complaints, its not so much about getting the parts quicker, its about the dealer and manufacturer arguing about who will pay for the repair with customers RVs sitting for months while they argue as to who will pay and whether its covered!! I guess anything is an improvement.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

greende
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
I'd be happier if the industry had some quality control over their RV's during production so that the warranty wouldn't be so needed.

AMEN to that!

Lyle

X2 or whatever we're up to.......
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
azdryheat wrote:
I'd be happier if the industry had some quality control over their RV's during production so that the warranty wouldn't be so needed.

AMEN to that!

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
Won't really matter dealer will still have a three week turnover
Not if FR would use a mobile RV tech service.

Fr does its up to the tech to use them or not wait to be paid

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
Not if FR would use a mobile RV tech service.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Anything to make the RV warranty hurdle easier is great in my book. It is somewhat surprising that in today's age of customer satisfaction above all else the RV industry routinely has so many unhappy and downright angry customers.

Not that this change is the end all but anything moving towards being more flexible versus less has got to be a good thing for consumers.

I don't know nearly enough about all the numbers and if this is even possible but from looking at auto manufacturers some companies seem to have really gained some market share by offering longer warranties than standard. Kia and Hyundai are a couple that come to mind. It seems the RV industry is ripe for a manufacturer to just go over the top with a good warranty and steal a bunch of people.

Having bought both a new FR product and Keystone product over the last 5 years the feeling I'm left with is the dealer makes it as difficult as possible to get in for service and can't wait for that year to expire so they can tell me to go pound sand. Everything done within the year is just to get me out of the shop and hope I never come back.