cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To slide or not to slide, that is the question.

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
My first two 5th wheels were towed by long bed trucks. Way back then short beds were rare. In 2002 I got my first of two short bed trucks and have had NO problems maneuvering while backing. That was until last fall when I put a dent in the top corner of the cab. Fortunately it did not damage the trailer corner.
I did some body work and took truck in to have my repair painted, and found out how expensive a problem I created.
I decided to look into a slider hitch, and I found out that Reese makes a slider unit upgrade, that I could use all my hitch parts except the upright supports.
Come to find out the conversion parts were about 1/2 cost of the repaint job.
It was about a 2 1/2 hour job, and well worth the cost to prevent future problems. 🙂

"In response where my dent was". It was at the top of the cab and dent extended across the plastic trim piece.
Dr Quick
13 REPLIES 13

maskins
Explorer
Explorer
cwill925 wrote:
Did your dent look like mine??

I got one of those yesterday and I have a slider. I was backing up in my yard like I have done every time I come home from camping. I haven't needed the slider there so I didn't slide it back.

my truck is now sitting at home with a heavy duty black trash bag duct taped over the window until safelite comes Thursday. :S

Rain was coming and that was what I found. I'm leaving the dent as a reminder to say hey dummy slide the hitch back. The truck is 13 years old it needs some character anyway.
Chevy Duramax
Wildcat 327RE

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
"D" on the gearshift will also negate the need for a slider
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

High5er
Explorer
Explorer
OMHO Reese sidewinder and Reese Airborne Pinbox is the way to go for us Shortboxer's. Love my 5th Airborne. No slider hassles what-so-ever.

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
PGCR wrote:
We've all been there!! 😉

No , some of us are proactive with the purchase and use of an automatic sliding hitch.

PGCR
Explorer
Explorer
We've all been there!! 😉

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
The Blue Ox sliding (pivoting) hitch looks like it could answer a lot of the questions regarding short bed trucks. Lightweight install, rubber isolated head and 11" of travel when needed. I would be interest to see some user feedback on it.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
And we TT owners can't dent too...specially with a hitch mounted bicycle?

Not often you hear about the TTs meeting up with TVs, but of course they do. I have seen the results many times, of bumper pulls, TTs, boat/trailers, cargo trls, snowmobile trls, that have been twisted till contact/damage.

I've towed FWs since 94, and with a 6'9" bed since 99, no sliding hitch. I've never hit the cab YET, but easily could, if not paying attention in a tight situation. I think most folks that have towed a TT realize there are limitations to tight maneuvering, and use this awareness when changing to a FW, and TV with a 6.5 bed.

Jerry
Count me in as contact damage from a TT. I was backing down a small hill while turning sharp and the front mounted ladder put a dent in the back corner of my Excursion. So yes it's possible.

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, a VERY expensive lesson indeed! $1,800.00 to replace the rear window of my truck. Tinted, heated, electric sliding middle piece, etc. The contour of our current trailer is very unforgiving with respect to backing and turning. My decision now is to use the slider any time I am moving the RV into or out of any camping spot. It only takes a couple of seconds to move the hitch from maneuver to tow or vice versa. You also get a further chance to test your RV brakes and connection to the TV.

Cheers!

Mike
Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lwiddis wrote:

Not often you hear about the TTs meeting up with TVs, but of course they do. I have seen the results many times, of bumper pulls, TTs, boat/trailers, cargo trls, snowmobile trls, that have been twisted till contact/damage.

I've towed FWs since 94, and with a 6'9" bed since 99, no sliding hitch. I've never hit the cab YET, but easily could, if not paying attention in a tight situation. I think most folks that have towed a TT realize there are limitations to tight maneuvering, and use this awareness when changing to a FW, and TV with a 6.5 bed.

Jerry

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I always wonder about this?

Only thing I can figure out is that we folks don't keep track of the front fiver corners when backing.

Also on my rig, if I jack it that hard backing up, it is counter productive since the turning radius of the truck will not allow it to keep up with the jack. :h

I continue to be a not to slide guy with a short box and rounded corners on the front of the fiver.

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
We thought we had bad luck... Hubby went thru 2 rear windows that first year when we had gotten our 5'er. Popped both left and right sides out. found out that you have to replace the whole window, not just the panel that was busted, Ford did not have a better idea !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

cwill925
Explorer
Explorer
Did your dent look like mine??

Chuck Williams
2015 Raptor 412-TS
2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
BMW K1600 GTL, Honda Rebel or a Smart Car in the Toyhauler.