cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Contemplating Full Time RVing

kc61
Explorer
Explorer
I have a few years to retirement, I'm 56 now. But I tell you, this full time RVing has me thinking. Not sure I can do it but it sure looks like a good alternative to a full time lake home. I was kinda thinking lake lot with a dock and boat and then just power there for the RV when we get back to home base. This would most likely be Missouri. Maybe residency in SD for the tax breaks. Is this a viable option or am I completely Koo Koo and is it legal tax wise to do this? I'm getting excited already. Thinking Class A Diesel Pusher, but open to alternatives. I currently ride a motorcycle but who knows if I still will be during retirement.

Thanks everyone
9 REPLIES 9

kc61
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Why go full time and strap yourself down to a lake lot to maintain and pay for, just try full timing without any real-estate at 1st and see how you like it, you might find out you prefer the SW over the Mid West, or you might like Oregon over that other place, travel and be a free bird at 1st than see what you might like.

Also they do make nice gas motorhomes that get the job done as well as a deisel at less cost to you.

My kids and Grand Kids are all in the KC area so the lake lot in Missouri would be something also for them to use and for us to use also. But your right, we may just travel a while and then decide. But I know keeping my wife away from the Grand kids for an extended period may be easier said than done.

kc61
Explorer
Explorer
Captain_Happy wrote:
You'd have to do a lot of traveling to justify the cost of a diesel pusher. Besides, gas motor homes out number these diesel rigs 10 to 1

At least for now I'm seeing some pretty nice used Class A Diesel Pushers right around the $100k mark. I think I would rather buy a lightly used Diesel than a Brand new Gas for the same money. That's my thought for now anyway.

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
You'd have to do a lot of traveling to justify the cost of a diesel pusher. Besides, gas motor homes out number these diesel rigs 10 to 1

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
But I tell you, this full time RVing has me thinking.

The Escapees webpages have an incredible amount of full time RV living information on virtually every topic.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Why go full time and strap yourself down to a lake lot to maintain and pay for, just try full timing without any real-estate at 1st and see how you like it, you might find out you prefer the SW over the Mid West, or you might like Oregon over that other place, travel and be a free bird at 1st than see what you might like.

Also they do make nice gas motorhomes that get the job done as well as a deisel at less cost to you.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Very doable but you mentioned parking your RV on a lake lot. Make sure that you would be legally allowed to do that... many ordinances prohibit it.

X2 We have a small lakeside cottage in upstate NY with a full hookup RV site next to it. When we visit the cottage, we usually keep right on living in the motorhome unless we're doing some remodeling or repairs on it while we're there. Under the local ordinances and zoning, we are allowed to live in the RV since it's at a residence and we have the owner's permission (that's us), but if the cottage wasn't there, we would have to be in an RV or manufactured home park.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Very doable but you mentioned parking your RV on a lake lot. Make sure that you would be legally allowed to do that... many ordinances prohibit it.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
For lots of great info about RV full timing including monthly costs for the past 12 years go to
www.rv-dreams.com

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Douable and legal
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net