cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family of four full-timing...RV recommendations?

gmcspadden
Explorer
Explorer
Hi RVers! First time posting. My family and I live down in San Antonio, and are seriously considering full-timing. I've been doing some research on RVs, and think I have a pretty good idea what I'm looking for:

-bunkhouse for the kids.

-queen bed for parents.

-slideout for extra space

-probably 28' max. We want to be able to visit our friends and family, so we don't want it to be too big. We are pretty minimalist, so we don't feel like we need too much space. A big bathroom and kitchen would be better than extra living space.

-outdoor kitchen seems great to have when the weather is nice.

-pulling with a 1/2 ton, so needs to be under 7K lbs.

-fiberglass siding seems like the way to go.

I've been looking at the Palomino Puma and Solaire, but am hoping to get some more suggestions from you experienced folk! We are looking to buy used, and would like to stay under 15k. Thanks in advance for any recommendations you have.
13 REPLIES 13

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
You need to look at the door sticker and get the code for your axle. I know Ford codes are online and can be matched to the Ford tow guide. I expect you can find the same for Toyota.

but as several stated, cargo capacity is your problem. You won't have much room for tongue weight.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
gmcspadden wrote:
what I'm looking for:

-bunkhouse for the kids.
[COLOR=]Good idea and doable.

-queen bed for parents.

-slideout for extra space

-probably 28' max., -pulling with a 1/2 ton, so needs to be under 7K lbs.
[COLOR=]Not likely

A big bathroom and kitchen would be better than extra living space.
[COLOR=]Not likely

-outdoor kitchen seems great to have when the weather is nice.
[COLOR=]Good idea and likely with a bunk house.

-fiberglass siding seems like the way to go.
[COLOR=]Good idea.

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

KKWilliams
Explorer
Explorer
Gmcspadden, our TT is 32 feet and I think we could full time in it, and I have a much larger family than yours. I'm sure you've put a lot of thought into it. The only time we really hang out in the trailer is in bad weather, rain or really hot. Our bunkhouse has a tv and a door so the kids can watch something different than us on those days.

I didn't want an outside kitchen because I have a three burner Camp Chef with a cast iron griddle and grill. I cook under the awning unless the weather is really bad. I rarely cook anything in the camper except for baking.

If it's in your budget look at upgrading the tundra to a bigger truck. 2012Coleman is doing what most of us do in using additional payload to carry bikes, coolers, and grills.
2012 Chevy Express 3500 extended with 6.6L Duramax
2012 Crossroads Sunset Trail reserve 32 FR
Equal-i-zer 4
Prodigy P3

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
gmcspadden wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I am driving a 2007 Tundra with 4.7L V8, with tow package. I think my tow rating is ~8000 lbs, but not sure. Bought the truck used and it doesn't show the tow rating on the door sticker. Still in exploration phase of planning, but we are very motivated to make it happen! We have done everything from 2-man tent camping to our current pop-up tent camper. Looking forward to making it a permanent situation.
Your tow rating? Tow rating is meaningless. You need to look at payload - what your Tundra can carry. Search for payload on this forum. My current setup pictured below weighs 5500 when loaded for camping. My 2003 Tundra with the 4.7 tows it just OK IMO. I load the bed with our stuff - bikes, grill, waste tote, etc. and it doesn't sag in the rear. It gets pushed around on the road - A LOT. I could not fathom going full time using this truck. My TT is much smaller than you will need with a family of 4. Your Tundra will not make your towing life easy - it will be wholly inadequate for your needs - my opinion which has evolved over the time actually towing something smaller that you envision with a vehicle which is basically the same.

I'm betting that you have the larger rear doors which lowers your payload even more. Check your door jamb sticker and your manual.

Good luck.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
By the time you and your family get that Toyota loaded up for trailer you will NOT have room left over to tow a pop up trailer.

Before you get to far into this
Load that truck up, fuel, you, wife, kids and all the stuff you would have with you in cab of truck for travel.
Then go to a CAT Scales and get weighed

Front axle, rear axle and total truck weight
With those REAL WORLD ACTUAL weights you can then see/figure how much capacity is left for hitch weight and trailer tongue weight
2007 Tundra
GVWR 6600# (MAX truck weight loaded)
Payload 1750# (you, all passengers, stuff etc then hitch and tongue weight) Gonna run out of payload REAL quick with 4 people and stuff

FT living in an RV is NOT cheaper than living renting/leasing. It comes with it's own set of costs/expenditures.
Many families DO full time. Just need to be realistic about having proper equipment...truck and trailer

We (2 adults) FT for 7 yrs in a 34' 5th wheel
We really really like each other and enjoy being around each other 24/7 but with less than 250sq ft of living space (8 X 32) in got very close
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

gmcspadden
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I am driving a 2007 Tundra with 4.7L V8, with tow package. I think my tow rating is ~8000 lbs, but not sure. Bought the truck used and it doesn't show the tow rating on the door sticker. Still in exploration phase of planning, but we are very motivated to make it happen! We have done everything from 2-man tent camping to our current pop-up tent camper. Looking forward to making it a permanent situation.

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Facebook and search for Fulltime Families group. They are living it and would have much better suggestions than us, who are mostly retired folks.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I would think full timing with a 40 footer as you describe would be very challenging.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Check out uTube family "Keep your daydream"... they're a photogenic family of five living full time in a bumper pull trailer. It's not a big trailer either, as they tow with a f150.

In a few of their videos they talk about the trailer arrangements.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck full timing with 4 people in 28 foot trailer.

As a test, where your living now, put everything you'll need in small 28 foot space and try it for a week.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 28' bunkhouse, no slide, dry weight near 5,500 lbs, max weight a little over 7,000 lbs. Ford F-150 crew cab with V-8 was too little truck to tow it comfortably in Texas with gusty winds over 10 mph.

Sail area on the trailer would push the truck around if the wind was from anywhere back of the trailer.

It had a single AC right over the top of the kitchen - made conversation almost impossible in the trailer in the summer.

It was also cramped and uncomfortable for two people.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Which Pumas (5er or travel trailer)do you think are half ton towable and can you give us the information off the door placard on your tow vehicle.
Need
Curb weight
GVWR
Which engine do you have
etc
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
28' is going to be crowded but people have done it with less.

Full time RV living for a family requires a lot of gear, food, and clothing. Make sure you understand that everything in the truck (including the family) other than the driver is subtracted from the tow rating. It is going to be mighty hard to find something that can be used with a 1/2 ton truck. Half tons usually run out of payload very quickly.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900