cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30A male & female replacement plugs

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
When I plug the power cord into the generator outlet in or Winnebago Vista the wire is bent at a severe right angle, because the box is mounted to low. I thought of making a short cable up with male/female plugs that go in straight rather than at a right angle like most do. Can't seem to find them, all are right angles. Any suggestions on where I can find these? Came up empty on the internet. Any other solutions other than another cord?
10 REPLIES 10

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
1995brave wrote:
You did not state if you rig is 30 or 50 amp, but check out Lowes or Home Depot they should have a straight plug that will fit.

Title of the thread:30A male & female replacement plugs

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
You did not state if you rig is 30 or 50 amp, but check out Lowes or Home Depot they should have a straight plug that will fit.

MrWizard
assuming you mean
there is an outlet in the cord storage where you plug in the shore cord ?

aka manual fool proof transfer switch

move the box to the bottom of the compartment
or
open box remove outlet, splice in NEW female outlet attached to a piece of cord
aka buy adapter with 30 amp female RV outlet, cut off other end, keep 30 amp female with cord, splice corded female into wiring of the box, it only (3) color coded wires, whit blk, grn
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you flip the outlet on the generator so the cord goes up?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You would also need adapter to plug into shore power pedestal using a NEMA 30TT receptacle.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
If the receptacle is in a standard 4 inch square box you could remove power to the coach, loosen off the mounting screws on the box and rotate 90 degrees so the plug is pointing in a different direction.
I don't have this setup so I am only guessing.
Brian
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can rebuild the old plug, but you'd have to cut off the old head.

Something like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Locking-male-plug-L5-30P-L530P-30A-120V-L5-30-P-Cooper-/290433264219?hash=it...
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might modify the area around the outlet.
alternative get a pair of adapters, 30-50 and 50-30.. Some of those have FLAT wires (3 wires side by side) and don't much mind a sharp bend. The other one (the one with the 50 amp plug) will likely have round wire.

But a mod of the area around the outlet sounds best to me.

Let me GOOGLE. (Well Yahoo Search) I only found Right Angle plugs but some have shoreter bodies and may fit better.... And as I said, you can go with a flat cable,,, YOu coudl even use a 30-50 (30 amp male) and sli e the 50 off and att a TT-30 Outlet to it. That too would work.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The NEMA 30TT only comes in 90 degree orientation.
You could get a short female cable and replace the receptacle with it.
30 amp female 18 inch
Could replace the long cord with similar short male cord.
30 amp male 18 inch
You would then use a 30 amp extension cord to power rig from pedestal. Available at most Walmart.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker