cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

96 Winnebago slide out w/awning

cdcrumba
Explorer
Explorer
I'm justing getting back into RVing after being away for about 10 years. We just bought a 1996 Winnebago Adventurer. We bought it as-is and the seller didn't take much time with us to explain anything. We just picked it up after having some brake work and other chassis repairs. The first thing I tried to do was extend the slide out. I'm a real dummy here. The slide out is not extending at the top. It has an old slide out awning. I think the awning is not opening with the slide out. Is there a latch I need to release to allow the awing to open along with the slide out? I'm feeling like a dummy here, but I have to start somewhere. TIA for any help/suggestions.
Chuck and Barb C
Marion, Iowa
1996 Winnebago 37RW #winnebeast
10 REPLIES 10

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Mile High wrote:
Calm down i know this inflates your ego but you dont have to yell with caps

Ego? I am just very good at what I do. It is NOT Ego, if you know your job. YOU are the one that had to nitpick. Doug
Still the caps....that's just weird.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Mile High wrote:

Ego? I am just very good at what I do. It is NOT Ego, if you know your job. YOU are the one that had to nitpick. Doug

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Mile High wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
You have a 20 year old RV with a 20 year old Slide Topper. Others that are posting should NOT assume you do NOT have a slide awning lock. They were used until about 2002 on some models of Carefree Slide toppers. So, IF you can post a pic of the slide topper, we can give you info on IF it does have the slide lock. Doug

Slide awning lock or slide lock - you said both and they are distinctly different.

I missed posting SLIDE AWNING LOCK as the last sentence(forgot the AWNING. SO SHOOT ME. BUT, as you see, I WAS CORRECT FOR THE POSTER. He had a SLIDE AWNING LOCK. Doug

cdcrumba
Explorer
Explorer
Well duh, the awning was locked. Thanks everyone for your responses!
Chuck and Barb C
Marion, Iowa
1996 Winnebago 37RW #winnebeast

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
You have a 20 year old RV with a 20 year old Slide Topper. Others that are posting should NOT assume you do NOT have a slide awning lock. They were used until about 2002 on some models of Carefree Slide toppers. So, IF you can post a pic of the slide topper, we can give you info on IF it does have the slide lock. Doug

Slide awning lock or slide lock - you said both and they are distinctly different.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
You don't happen to have a switch in the panel that says "slide lock" do you? Our full wall has a slide lock at the top that is electric.

Other than that, it could sure be the slide topper is jammed in there. See if you can unscrew the brackets from the slide and try the slide without the topper.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
No latch, but if the topper for some reason is hanging up up it will cause what you are talking about. I have been told that this can cause damage to your slide but have no personal experience with the situtaton.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Bruce_Brown
Sounds like a slide topper. That should have no effect on how the slide comes out, it rolls out with it.

In your case I'd look for a latch and/or lock of some type inside. If there isn't one there try pushing the top out while someone runs the switch. Don't over do it but if it hasn't moved in a long time it may just need a gentle nudge to get it going again.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910