cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on selling our Class A motorhome

Jones714
Explorer
Explorer
We are about to attempt to sell our motorhome on our own. I am trying to get as much helpful info as possible including sites to list it on etc. All and any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16

MilesandSmiles
Explorer
Explorer
To underline what's already been said -- post good pictures. Good means that they are well lighted, and that the RV is "staged" to look like it's on a showroom floor. If you can, have a video walk-through available that shows all of the highlights of the coach, and also have pictures available (upon request) that honestly show whatever flaws there are.
Newly retired
2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A
www.milesandsmiles.us

TDInewguy
Explorer
Explorer
I just sold my 2002 Itasca horizon 39QD that had 113K miles on it in less than 4 days.

What did I do?

Cleaned it out and took really good quality photos.
Carefully explained all that I had done to it.
Posted it on Craigslist with no miles - as I wanted to explain that I bought it with 24K miles and put on 80K and carefully maintained it. (high miles can scare people)
Priced it right
Was present to show the people everything and explained all the things that were not perfect. I helped them understand the reality of what needs work on these things and what I had done to keep it up.

I got a check and later the same day bought my 2009 Newmar AllStar!
SSSStefan

2009 Newmar AllStar 4154
2014 VW Passat TDI - toad!
Featherlite 28' Enclosed car hauler
1966 GTO - super cool car as seen on Driven1

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
We sold a MH and a TT on RVtrader and craigslist.

Pictures, good pictures are a must. Get the buyer to see what you want them to see and how you want them to see it. That means taking pictures, evaluating them and trying to make them better. Video is also helpful but move slowly and try and not make people sea sick. You can host video on youtube and other sites.

Realistic about your price. Do some research and see what other private parties are asking for your coach. Don't over price. Dealers are usually over priced. Don't try and compete with them.

List all the variables about your coach, tank sizes, length, height, generator, options etc.

Accept wire transfers for payment. Otherwise go to the bank with the person to draw the cashiers check and sign over the title there. Don't accept cashiers checks or other options outside of the bank it was drawn on in your presence as it could be counterfeit.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

Freightguy
Explorer
Explorer
I just sold my 2005 Phaeton myself. Years ago I sold my 2000 Discovery in one day, this time didnt go so well. My advice is everything must work as it was intended. People kept making appointments to see my coach and almost all of them gave me the sense they wanted to be looking at a new one, but were in the price range of mine. Also I saw someone else mention to look at other listings, this is a good idea as you will see some people will take photos of their coach with all kinds of clutter on the counter tops or elsewhere which gives potential buyers the sense you do not take care of it. When I took the photos of my outside I removed everything from the storage bays and cleaned them well, then took the photos in good light. We did the same for the inside but moved everything from the front to the back and took the photos of the front, then did the same for the back half. List all the improvements you have done and the date you did them. Another thing I did that I got a lot of positive comments on was I divided the mileage by how old the coach was to shown my average yearly miles, do this with the genset as well. If the tires are more than 4 years old I would consider replacing them, you may be able to get the cost back but even if you dont it will greatly help your efforts. Have maintenance records handy when showing. If you are not living in it while trying to sell it, then I would remove everything from the cabinets. The first thing people do when they get inside is open all the cabinets as they dream of ways to overload it.
Sorry if I rambled I wrote stuff as I thought of it from my experience which just happened last week.
2009 American Tradition 42P
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimted

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like craigslist because it is free. YOU WILL however get more "tire kickers" just messing around. State that you want serious buyers only and don't want to waste time with low ballers.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
We used rvt.com. Be realist in your pricing! Take lots of pictures. Write an honest description. If you have the service record make it available to prospective buyers. Take shoppers on a test drive and offer to let them drive the coach. Fortunately we had a huge unused Sea World parking lot to use for test drives. Be aware that the first people to respond to your ad might be from RV dealers looking to lowball your coach. We got a fair price for the RV and our toad as a package. We were very pleased with rvt.com and the entire process.

tyoungs
Explorer
Explorer
Just went through this trying to help a friend sell her motor home after her husband passed away unexpectedly. We took lots of pictures, priced it based on conversations with a dealer sales rep I have confidence in, and in line with comparable units on-line.
Put an ad together on RV Trader that allowed the maximum number of pictures (pricing in RV Trader is based on number of pictures and time ad will be on-line) and had a good description of the unit.
Response was excellent (both interested parties and quick response to their inquiries) and we had someone from 100 miles away look at it 8 days after initial posting and made an almost full price offer we accepted.

Keys - lots of pictures, good description, priced "right" to start with.
Tom & Mary plus Lilli the Havanese
2017 Entegra Aspire 44B,
450 Cummins, Spartan K2
HRRVC #106803
2017 Buick Enclave toad:)
RV.NET Rallies attended - 6

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Sold ours on Craigslist. Price it right and it will sell. Lots of pics and info and learn how to weed out scammers. It's easier than it used to be. Buyers now have good financing options. the folks that bought ours went through GS/bank of the west and they handled all the docs, inspections etc. Pretty easy process.
2013 ACE 29.2

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Sold my 94 PaceArrow on Craigslist in two days.
Describe it correctly and price it right.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

BigD629
Explorer
Explorer
We sold our Class C on Craigslist. And bought our DP out of state off Craigslist. Just make sure you bump your add frequently as it will get buried by all the dealer adds daily. Also be aware of the scammers! It's usually pretty easy to spot them.
2005 Foretravel U270,36', 400HP Cummins ISL
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2016 Polaris Turbo

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Jones714 wrote:
We are about to attempt to sell our motorhome on our own. I am trying to get as much helpful info as possible including sites to list it on etc. All and any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

We sold ours on Craig's list for almost NADA low retail and about all you can expect as an individual seller. We're talking nice condition, too. Then again, we bought one in excellent condition from a consignment dealer for $10K under low book, so you get the picture, I'm sure.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I found mine from Craigslist.

I appreciated sellers who posted a reasonable number of pictures (and ones that were reasonably large), at a minimum enough to get a feel for the layout of the RV. Units where none of the pictures showed the interior ceiling made me somewhat suspicious that there may be evidence of water damage they didn't care to show.

I encountered one or two people who never responded when I called or texted or sent emails with actual questions about things that weren't in the ad. I hope it's obvious, but it's hard to find a buyer if you don't answer them. I also encountered people who were prompt and courteous in responding, and they were the majority.

I did look for pictures that showed a localish license plate, for a couple of reasons. First, it showed that the RV was road-worthy, at least marginally so, which is perhaps not a concern for the upper end of the market. Second, and more importantly, a significant number of those that showed no license plate were scams after a little bit of investigation; at least I assume they were, as clearly identical RVs with identical descriptions were being offered for sale simultaneously in different cities clear across the country.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Craigslist has an rv catagory. We used craigslist when we were searching for our motorhome. Lots of pictures and information is always appreciated.

Moved from Forum Technical Support