cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any Opinions on the Tiffin new Class C?

bagman
Explorer
Explorer
Actually it is 25'6" long on the Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis with (2) slides and a rear slide out Queen bed. It is called the "Wayfarer" and the quality of materials appears to be pretty good and personally I like the shape. Just saw it last night while I was browsing on the Tiffin Motorhomes website! Bags.
Land of Opportunity & Liberty 4 ALL!
7 REPLIES 7

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
The small weight rating moved me away from the sprinter. I don't care about fuel mileage but do care about towing and carrying stuff. I ordered a born free on a dodge 5500 four wheel drive chassis. The difference between a 19k and 11k chassis is huge.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
I think what you're seeing is the demise in use of the Ford E450 and Chevy 4500 chassis for small Class C motorhomes in the U.S.. That 14,000+ lb. gross rating of those two chassis provides a lot of safe and reliable long life carrying capacity for multiple slides, passengers, and all their stuff in a 24 - 27 ft. long Class C.

I hate to see those two chassis go off into the sunset. There's too much focus on fuel mileage, IMHO. The fuel cost in owning and enjoying our 24 ft. E450 Class C is the least of our concerns around ownership of it. The 50% to 80% improvement in MPG when using a diesel Sprinter chassis that is near it's max design load carrying limit is just not worth it to me ... but each to their own I guess.

What's needed is a 15 -17 MPG 14,500 lb. load carrying capacity gas or diesel chassis. That would make for a lot fewer marginal designs in the small Class C market.

Not really a problem in this part of world. You can get if you want the IVECO 72c has a 23,750lb GCVWR or put the body on a light Japanese Truck. At least you are looking at 27,000lb GCVWR. European light mediums come in at 33,000lb GVWR

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think what you're seeing is the demise in use of the Ford E450 and Chevy 4500 chassis for small Class C motorhomes in the U.S.. That 14,000+ lb. gross rating of those two chassis provides a lot of safe and reliable long life carrying capacity for multiple slides, passengers, and all their stuff in a 24 - 27 ft. long Class C.

I hate to see those two chassis go off into the sunset. There's too much focus on fuel mileage, IMHO. The fuel cost in owning and enjoying our 24 ft. E450 Class C is the least of our concerns around ownership of it. The 50% to 80% improvement in MPG when using a diesel Sprinter chassis that is near it's max design load carrying limit is just not worth it to me ... but each to their own I guess.

What's needed is a 15 -17 MPG 14,500 lb. load carrying capacity gas or diesel chassis. That would make for a lot fewer marginal designs in the small Class C market.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
These new class C units just don't seem as heavy duty as the older ones. Didn't even like how the older ones had the chassis extensions welded on. I've just become a class A fan. Class A chassis just look really husky. Seems like you are getting a lot of capability for your money.

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Saw one today at an RV show in Glendale, AZ. I agree with ken1961. Nothing fancy and sadly not any better constructed than any of the others I saw, same plastic covered wood etc., although it did have a Corian kitchen counter. Just more money. Can't say I really liked the Sprinter chassis, it looked like it really need a larger one.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

ken1961
Explorer
Explorer
Saw the only one at Lazydays last month. It was in a row of similar class RV's. Nothing special but more expensive.
Ken

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
If you find one in the wild you might want to go buy a lottery ticket. Since Tiffin "launched" the product at Tampa, they have made no announcements about distribution, have not created any product literature, and so on. As a Tiffin fan (I've owned 2) I was really disappointed that they have made no progress or had units ready to sell. We now have a Winnebago Navion.

Tiffin's choice of the G floor plan is interesting as that floor plan has the lowest OCCC of any of the Sprinter chassis floor plans.

I think the real launch date will most likely be sometime in the fall.
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit