cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Basement air repair

ginagary
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 Winnebago Journey that has basement central air. Has anyone ever had to have the air repaired? If so, does it have to be done somewhere special?
Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's really not as simple as it sounds. We have Cruise-Air systems in our coach which requires R-22 refrigerant. Called a couple of local RV service centers and one emphatically insisted that these were sealed units and not serviceable. No matter how many times I tried to explain that it has been serviced previously they disputed this and said they were sealed systems. The only service available was replacement. I finally said they should Google Cruise Air and learn a little more about their business before spewing incorrect information. I said goodbye and hung up. It's really amazing how poorly informed many of the RV service folks are about systems other than those installed in the majority of RVs.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Swamp_Rat
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent info here...much appreciated!

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almost any skilled A/C tech should be able to work on a unit like that. Most are 144a, and rarely is it anything else.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
here is a Pdf with pictures also .

http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/BasementA-CRemovalProcedure.pdf?attredirects=0

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted, double post.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
It all depends on just what kind of repair you need. Those units are about as close to home air conditioning heat pumps etc. that you can get. If you cruise on over to IRV2, you'll find plenty of threads about many of us that removed the unit and, placed it on saw horses or anything that's at the correct level when removing it. The company, Winne and Itasca, provided enough electrical cables that, allow you to remove the unit and place near the coach so most work can be done on it.

Many of us have replace those dumb-a$$ brass bushings that are used for fan bearings with pillow pack, life time sealed bearings from places like Grainger. Waaaaaaaaaay better and quieter. Also, there are a few of the boys that have replaced the actual fan squirl cage steel fan with a higher quality plastic *larger bladed" fan. It also makes the operation much quieter and, moves more air.

When any and all work is done, you can simply do a "bench test" while it's sitting right there on a few five gallon buckets, saw horses or whatever to see if all your adjustments/work/repairs/improvements etc. are working correctly. There are a few that actually pulled them out in camp grounds and did whatever repair was needed.

Removing them is not very hard at all. The leauvered panel that covers it, is released by un-screwing screws from the side and the bottom. Then, the panel is tilted upwards and is taped or secured to the side wall of the coach, in whatever manor you chose. Then, the unit sits on a "cradle" that's held in by four, 1/2" x 3" bolts. The nuts that are there, are welded to the cradle. As you turn each of those four bolts, you will begin to actually lower the entire A/C unit.

But, before you do that, you'll want to disconnect the ducting to it. That's done by removing the small, Phillips head screws that are used to attach it to the main box. That ducting will fall away from the main A/C just enough that, it will allow for the A/C unit to be removed. Now, once the ducting is backed off, then, you just lower that A/C unit just enough so the very top of it, just clears the hinge area of the leauvered panel, it then will slide out as a unit, onto what ever you've got waiting for it.

The rest is sheet metal. You can easily remove most of it to get at what's needed to be altered or repaired. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Any air conditioning repair shop can make repairs on a basement unit. They are pretty much like any central package unit in a hone. Most parts are not proprietary like on a roof a/c.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there a label that shows what refrigerant type is used? You will need to find someone who can work on that type system. Otherwise, they are all pretty much the same in function.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Probably any AC service person could work on it right where it is.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter